LG Televisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG Televisions

Has anyone successfully controlled an LG OLED?

Originally posted by harvito View Post
    Describe your setup ==> HomeSeer, do you use MQTT or Node-RED............?

For pointers these could help :

https://github.com/hobbyquaker/lgtv2mqtt

https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-lgtv

You have to have an MQTT plugin in HomeSeer to link things up.

Eman.

TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Is it WebOS based? If so, the MediaController PI should be able to control the LG TV.

Comment

Dirk,

So, Here is my challenge - I realize that MediaController PI should be able to handle Samsungs - I have a Q8 55" and I am getting a 65" Q900 - I've used another IOS based home control system and although the developer said it could handle my Samsungs it never worked right. I also have an LG which it did handle - I have always been torn between the LED Vs OLED and I like both manufacturer - that said other than the LG C8 55" I have always had samsungs and they have (knock on wood) been rock solid. I prefer to control them using IP but again I have found most developers (not big house like Control4 or RTI) have a difficult time implementing it. So, yes the LG is WEBOS and I'd get a new one (C9 65") if I found it was easier and more reliable to control over IP with your MediaController PI. (Or wait for LG's 8K). I don't want to go into the - 'Why are you buying 8K when there is no or little content' - I'd prefer to stick with the Samsung - So, that is my plight - LG or Samsung - All in the name of ease and Home Control - Of course I could also just throw away HS and go to RTI - Easier to program with their APEX Designer - BUT they use Zigbee - you have to get a Z-wave controller -

I'll also add - I currently have the PI but I am looking into getting the windows HSPro version -

Comment

Dirk,

So, Here is my challenge - I realize that MediaController PI should be able to handle Samsungs - I have a Q8 55" and I am getting a 65" Q900 - I've used another IOS based home control system and although the developer said it could handle my Samsungs it never worked right. I also have an LG which it did handle - I have always been torn between the LED Vs OLED and I like both manufacturer - that said other than the LG C8 55" I have always had samsungs and they have (knock on wood) been rock solid. I prefer to control them using IP but again I have found most developers (not big house like Control4 or RTI) have a difficult time implementing it. So, yes the LG is WEBOS and I'd get a new one (C9 65") if I found it was easier and more reliable to control over IP with your MediaController PI. (Or wait for LG's 8K). I don't want to go into the - 'Why are you buying 8K when there is no or little content' - I'd prefer to stick with the Samsung - So, that is my plight - LG or Samsung - All in the name of ease and Home Control - Of course I could also just throw away HS and go to RTI - Easier to program with their APEX Designer - BUT they use Zigbee - you have to get a Z-wave controller -

I'll also add - I currently have the PI but I am looking into getting the windows HSPro version -
          Not sure I follow you 100% but here is my interpretation: you have an LG TV but have or have not tried the PI? You are concerned that the LG TVs can't be controlled properly through IP. Am I getting it right? Any reason why you don't try the PI, it is free.

I believe that WebOS based LGs are much better to control through IP than the Samsungs because the "interface" is better structured to discover apps, interfaces etc. Moreover it allows "toasts" on your screen which is great if you want to send notifications to your TV while watching. Samsung seems to be stepping away from supporting any form of "open" remote IP control in favor of their "closed" SmartView support. Think of it this way, Samsung runs an APP on their TV (SmartView) and mobile devices communicate directly with that app. As a result they can do a lot but the communication is encrypted and sure is co-developed/tightly coupled, which means, even if you were to figure out how do communicate with it, it is likely to change all the time. To top it all off, I think SmartThings is yet another step away from "local control" in favor of cloud based interaction with and between Samsung devices.

I think the likes of Control4 may end up having to write their own app and communicate with it, this will be the only way they can have some form of control. It would however put the burden on them to create potentially many version of the embedded app, depending on model/year etc. It does beg the question why companies like Samsung not just publish the remote IP API spec? Don't see it costing them any revenue as they are not selling the IP-Control APPs anyway, or at least ..... not yet.

This is my opinion and please don't go buy based on my opinion .....

Comment

Did I mention I run the PI against an LG OLED65E7P

Comment

Working...
            X