Good Coffee Maker - Maybe Smart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Coffee Maker - Maybe Smart?

So a little off topic but that's what General is for right?

Seems my Kuerig is on it's last legs..... I like the Kuerig and I've had this one for a while and the amount of coffee/pods that have gone through this this well it's had a good run.

I may end up with another Kuerig but I was wondering if there are any "Smart" coffee pots yet that are decent? I'm aware of the Smarter AM and it has widely mixed reviews of it's "Smarts" but... does it make good coffee???

Opinions, ideas are all welcome. I do like the pod system because it's convenient/fast for getting a cup when I don't want to brew a whole pot (although I would drink it). I like the idea of a system having a built in grinder too. Decent size reservoir is a must unless it can accept direct water feed.

Here after testing a variety of one two cup electronic espresso / coffee makers for years and having settled on drinking 7 shots every morning (never during day)...initially went to using a French press and grinding my own beans to now (years) using an extra large (7 shots plus) Bialetti stove top maker. It is not automated at all other than me.

Just recently switched though from the old styled Bialetti aluminum maker to the shiny Bialetti stainless steel espresso maker.

No electronics and very manual and quick. Takes about 4 minutes to steam my 7 shots.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Here after testing a variety of one two cup electronic espresso / coffee makers for years and having settled on drinking 7 shots every morning (never during day)...initially went to using a French press and grinding my own beans to now (years) using an extra large (7 shots plus) Bialetti stove top maker. It is not automated at all other than me.

Just recently switched though from the old styled aluminum maker to the shiny stainless steel espresso maker. No electronics and very manual and quick. Takes about 4 minutes to steam my 7 shots.
      Thanks Pete for "good" coffee I use a Chemex... I'm looking at either another Keurig or other single cup or multi-cup brewer. We drink a lot of coffee around here with everyone in out all the time so having something quick 1-cup or brewed ready to go. The simple thing may be an old style Mr. Coffee and call it done

Comment

Some of the older machines have a mechanical ON/OFF switch and if left in the ON position when power is off, would automatically start the brew cycle when power was restored. If you have one of those, you might be able to 'automate' it with an appliance rated outlet plug.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
          Some of the older machines have a mechanical ON/OFF switch and if left in the ON position when power is off, would automatically start the brew cycle when power was restored. If you have one of those, you might be able to 'automate' it with an appliance rated outlet plug.
          I've thought of that as well with an old Mr. Coffee

Comment

Here is a thread I started relating to the topic of good coffee makers in 2014 on Cocoontech. Thinking in the 80's did take the coffee with me on my commute to work in the automobile. Spilled some coffee back then on me and never did it again. I have an old friend who drinks coffee all day if he is at home and just adds water to the original pot (tastes really bad). Its really about how much time you want to put in to it. A peer from work (in the 90's) would do his afternoon coffee and spend 20 minutes grinding up his beans and then using a french press; he savored the time involved.

My x mother in law owned a little cafe with her home (old hotel she rebuilt that was some 200 years old) over the cafe in France. When visiting I would get up extra early and used her machines to make my coffee which I enjoyed in the 1990's. Took a bit of learning at the time.

Espresso Making preferences
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Best coffee I’ve ever had was from this: https://aeropress.com

I use it every day with their AeroPress timer app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
              Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
              Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                Best coffee I’ve ever had was from this: https://aeropress.com

I use it every day with their AeroPress timer app.

Agree... Coffee presses make good coffee... that's what the Chemex is for also... to make good coffee... my wife uses/likes it.

I want hot, black caffeinated liquid that I swill by the pot... the K-Cup with the Keurig just keeps it fresher for my dozens of trips throughout the day

I'm an old school black coffee no sugar no cream if the coffee isn't burnt I drink it.

Comment

The guy that roasts my beans recommended the bonavita coffee makers. Looks and sounds like a less expensive technovorm mochamaster. I guess if you just want good coffee you get the former, and if you want a kitchen design statement and good coffee you get the latter.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                  Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                  Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Working...
                  X