Z-wave switches will not connect after power outages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave switches will not connect after power outages

I live in an area that loses power several times a month. When that happens, I will lose connectivity with a random Jasco Z-wave switch on my network. It doesn't happen every time, but I find myself removing and adding nodes quite often. Is there a brand of Z-wave switches that work reliably after power outages?

Which Jasco Z-wave switch?

If it is a range problem, bringing the switch near the controller should restore function, if it requires removing and re-adding the node, then I think the switch is defective, it is losing it's memory. It should retain it's settings when powered off. If this is the case, replace the switch...

For a range issue... You might try rotating the orientation of the switch, so the antenna radiates towards your controller. On the GE 12720 the antenna is on that back side (Flat side). Also a z-wave device which acts as a repeater, or a repeater between the problem switch and the controller will help.

Don't forget to "Optimize" the Z-wave after the switch is installed in it's final location. This should be considered a requirement ??

Comment

Next time before removing and re-including you can try a powercycle of the switch. Sometimes a power outage and back on leaves the switches in a weird state. Pull the air gap on the switch to remove power for around 10 seconds then press the air gap back in. This effectively will reboot the switch. See if that helps and it may save you the hassle of the exclude/include process next time.

As has been said if the switch is losing it's memory then it's possibly a bad switch to start with. In that event you may want to think of replacing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
        As has been said if the switch is losing it's memory then it's possibly a bad switch to start with. In that event you may want to think of replacing them.
        Agree. We only rarely suffer power outages, but I've seldom seen this sort of problem and I have Jasco switches throughout my house (49 total).

-Wade

Comment

Thanks for the replies - I'm going to start replacing the switches. I tried power cycling with the air gap, but that didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by rc_sportpilot View Post
            Thanks for the replies - I'm going to start replacing the switches. I tried power cycling with the air gap, but that didn't work.
            2 year warranty, IIRC, so take advantage of it if you can.
            -Wade

Comment

Is the HS3 server and/or Z-Wave controller losing power also? If they aren't shut down cleanly the problem might be on than end. With power going down that often you really should have the computers on an UPS.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                Is the HS3 server and/or Z-Wave controller losing power also? If they aren't shut down cleanly the problem might be on than end. With power going down that often you really should have the computers on an UPS.
                HS3 server and Z-Wave controller are on a UPS so that isn't the problem.

Comment

HS3 server and Z-Wave controller are on a UPS so that isn't the problem.
                  You might see about getting a whole house surge protector (added on by Power company). While it doesn't stop the problem 100%, it seems to reduce the number of times the devices get "confused" when you have a power bump.

Z

Comment

I had the same problem and replacing the switches was the only fix that worked. I will no longer buy Jasco products because they are (in my experience) subject to failure from power outages, bulbs burning out, and usage exceeding the warranty.
                    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                    Home Assistant 2024.3
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post

You might see about getting a whole house surge protector (added on by Power company). While it doesn't stop the problem 100%, it seems to reduce the number of times the devices get "confused" when you have a power bump.

Z
                      I actually have one, but it isn't helping.

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post

I had the same problem and replacing the switches was the only fix that worked. I will no longer buy Jasco products because they are (in my experience) subject to failure from power outages, bulbs burning out, and usage exceeding the warranty.
                        What brand did you buy?

Comment

I actually have one, but it isn't helping.
                          What are your power outages like? Are they fairly clean shutdowns, or Hi/Lo spikes (Does your UPS monitor/log line voltage for you?) If they're serious spikes (or Lightening induced), there's probably no one device vendor that's going to survive. I've had Cooper, GE, Jasco, Lutron & HS all fail if they get spiked hard enough. Typically though, they just get confused and have to be power cycled.

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post

What are your power outages like? Are they fairly clean shutdowns, or Hi/Lo spikes (Does your UPS monitor/log line voltage for you?) If they're serious spikes (or Lightening induced), there's probably no one device vendor that's going to survive. I've had Cooper, GE, Jasco, Lutron & HS all fail if they get spiked hard enough. Typically though, they just get confused and have to be power cycled.
                            It's usually not weather related and the power goes out very briefly.

Comment

Working...
                            X