Typical cause of event latency..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typical cause of event latency..

As part of my new house build, I am testing out some HS-WD-200+ dimmers matched to a HomeTroller Zee S2. This is just a test environment to play around with the Homeseer environment. In production in the new house I will have HS3Pro running on a dedicated Xeon server with multiple Z-Net interfaces. I plan on having ~200 dimmers and switches in total.

I currently have the Zee S2 on a hardwire network connection, and in the next room over from 4 installed HS switches. Distance between the switches and the S2 is about 10 feet. The switches work as expected, and I have an event enabled for one of the switches to turn all of the other switched lights on and off. Typically if I click on that switch to trigger the event, it takes somewhere between 700 and 1200ms for the event to trigger and the other switches to complete the action. (turning the lights on or off).

If I do the test multiple times in a row, it seems to get a bit faster, especially if there has been a long delay (hours) since a previous event. Most noticable is that in the morning when I first get up and hit the switch, sometimes it take 3-10 seconds for all of the other lights to come on. This morning for instance, I see this in the log:

May-22 6:06:35 AM Z-Wave Device: Node 2 Z-Wave Master Sidelights Set to 90
    May-22 6:06:35 AM Z-Wave Device: Node 4 Z-Wave Master Hall 1 Set to 99
    May-22 6:06:31 AM Z-Wave Device: Node 3 Z-Wave Master Overhead Set to 99
    May-22 6:06:20 AM Z-Wave Device: Node 4 Z-Wave Master Hall 1 Set to 36%
    May-22 6:06:19 AM Device Control Device: Node 2 Z-Wave Master Sidelights to 90% (90)
    May-22 6:06:19 AM Device Control Device: Node 4 Z-Wave Master Hall 1 to On (99)
    May-22 6:06:19 AM Device Control Device: Node 3 Z-Wave Master Overhead to On (99)
    May-22 6:06:19 AM Event Event Trigger "Light Events Group Master All On"
    May-22 6:06:19 AM Z-Wave Device: Node 4 Z-Wave Master Hall 1 Central Scene Set to 1000
    You can see the event at 6:19 where the switch was trigger (single up click), followed by the event trigger, and the event actions to turn on three lights. All of those actions happened within that 1 second interval. One of the switches shows 36% first, then 99%, while the other two show being set almost 10 seconds later. (6:35).

Does this imply a communications delay because of the z-wave connection?

In looking at the node information, Node 2 route is "Last Working Route: Direct (100K)", while node 3 and 4 have "Last Working Route: 2 (100K)". All three of these nodes are in the same box, and the same distance from the S2, so I am surprised to see node 3 and 4 routing through 2 when they should have an equally good connection directly. Doing a network optimization doesn't change this behavior.

As an example, when I clicked the same switch just now the log shows:
    May-22 9:39:14 AM Z-Wave Device: Node 2 Z-Wave Master Sidelights Set to 90
    May-22 9:39:14 AM Z-Wave Device: Node 4 Z-Wave Master Hall 1 Set to 99
    May-22 9:39:13 AM Z-Wave Device: Node 3 Z-Wave Master Overhead Set to 99
    May-22 9:39:13 AM Device Control Device: Node 2 Z-Wave Master Sidelights to 90% (90)
    May-22 9:39:13 AM Device Control Device: Node 4 Z-Wave Master Hall 1 to On (99)
    May-22 9:39:13 AM Device Control Device: Node 3 Z-Wave Master Overhead to On (99)
    May-22 9:39:13 AM Event Event Trigger "Light Events Group Master All On"
    May-22 9:39:13 AM Z-Wave Device: Node 4 Z-Wave Master Hall 1 Central Scene Set to 1000
    Which shows total time of 1 second or so for the event and the switches, in line with what I would expect.

Is there some kind of lower power sleep mode in the switches that makes them a bit slower to wake up if unused for some time?

Jeff

Interested to see what answers you get here. While I don't have any documented testing such as you have done, I will say anecdotally that I have also noticed Z-wave event actions seem to execute more quickly when the event has been run recently. Not sure exactly what "recently" is here (again, no systematic testing), and not sure if this is with all z-wave actions, or specific to the HS dimmers (I have HS-WD100+ dimmers), but events with Central Scene triggers seem to trigger/run more quickly (again, anecdotally) on repeated, subsequent runs, i.e. within, say, 30 seconds or so.

Comment

To me. it seems that at first the z-wave does not know what route to take, and sequential runs, it remembers the route easily. but then it forgets again after awhile.

This is a common problem, someone should certainly have insight into this...

Comment

Just checked my UZB and the device was allowed to sleep. Under Control panel/Power options/advanced/usb settings/usb selective suspend setting/ changed enabled to disabled...

Comment

Did that fix your problem...just wondering. I get a significant lag from some of my devices

Comment

Working...
          X