Moving to a new house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to a new house

My wife and I are making an offer on a house today, and so begins the exciting and nerve racking time of figuring out what that means over the next few months :-)

Of course, HA is top of mind, as I get to rebuilt a fairly large and functioning system over again, but also improving on things as I go. There will likely be lots of questions over the next few months as I make the transition... but before I get ahead of myself, I thought i'd ask for some preliminary advice in a few areas.

Networking:
    I currently run an Asus router in a 3400 sqft house connected to comcast cable for internet. I rarely have connect/wifi issues, but the router does get flakey at times, and I'd like to move to something more robust like Ubiquiti with better security. The new house has a detached garage, so I figure I need 2 APs, cloudkey, and possible 3 routers (guest, IoT/HA/Cameras, and Personal). Searches on this yield gazillions of pages of research which I'm pouring through... but if anyone has some additional advice here on what I need or should do, greatly appreciated.

Homeseer SW migration:
    I'm really not sure the best way to do this. I run on a dedicated W10 box with a VM for Blue Iris. I'll just move this over, but my gut tells me better to start from scratch and create all my events over again. Couple of questions here:
    1. Is there a more efficient way to move stuff over?
    2. I'd like some record of my events so I can use as a reference to rebuild. I think Jon's event viewer PI is the way to go there, but let me know if I missed an alternative.
    3. I'll use my current znet as well as add a second in the detached garage. Looks like the best method is to add as a second controller to help with the 232 device limit. In terms of moving my existing, is there a way to flush and reinstall as new?

Thanks... I'm sure I'll have 1000 more questions over the coming months :-)

Exciting and trying times ahead! Good luck!

Based on my experience your plan with Ubiquiti Unifi network equipment is a great choice. It's been rock solid for me, and with sirmeili's MeiUnifi plugin it integrates well with HS3. You'll only need one router along with unifi managed switch(es), and you can segregate your guest, IoT and Personal networks on separate vlans. I'm just about to get started doing this on my system. Maybe I'll have some lessons learned in time to help you out, but there are several on the boards who appear to have a lot of expertise with vlan configuration.
    -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

Based on my experience your plan with Ubiquiti Unifi network equipment is a great choice. It's been rock solid for me, and with sirmeili's MeiUnifi plugin it integrates well with HS3. You'll only need one router along with unifi managed switch(es), and you can segregate your guest, IoT and Personal networks on separate vlans. I'm just about to get started doing this on my system. Maybe I'll have some lessons learned in time to help you out, but there are several on the boards who appear to have a lot of expertise with vlan configuration.
      that would be awesome.. I'm moderately ok with figuring this stuff out, but love to learn by example.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

Homeseer SW migration:
        I'm really not sure the best way to do this. I run on a dedicated W10 box with a VM for Blue Iris. I'll just move this over, but my gut tells me better to start from scratch and create all my events over again. Couple of questions here:
        1. Is there a more efficient way to move stuff over?
        2. I'd like some record of my events so I can use as a reference to rebuild. I think Jon's event viewer PI is the way to go there, but let me know if I missed an alternative.
        3. I'll use my current znet as well as add a second in the detached garage. Looks like the best method is to add as a second controller to help with the 232 device limit. In terms of moving my existing, is there a way to flush and reinstall as new?

Thanks... I'm sure I'll have 1000 more questions over the coming months :-)
        BUMP on my HS migration... with an additional question.

Can I keep my current server/software setup with all the PIs already installed, and just remove all the devices somehow. Be great to not have to reinstall ALL the PIs as some take quite a bit of work?

Comment

BUMP on my HS migration... with an additional question.

Can I keep my current server/software setup with all the PIs already installed, and just remove all the devices somehow. Be great to not have to reinstall ALL the PIs as some take quite a bit of work?
          If you are moving to a new machine, first save your entire HS directory, install a fresh install of HomeSeer on the new machine then overwrite it with your previous HS directory and notify HST (contact sales by phone or email) that you have done so because the licence will complain!

Tip : For the events you wont need anymore, delete them as you go along.

Eman.
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post

If you are moving to a new machine, first save your entire HS directory, install a fresh install of HomeSeer on the new machine then overwrite it with your previous HS directory and notify HST (contact sales by phone or email) that you have done so because the licence will complain!

Tip : For the events you wont need anymore, delete them as you go along.

Eman.
            Thanks eman. You think this would still be true if I were moving to a new house and all the devices were effectively new but the events that I wanted to run would be the same as the old house or similar?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks eman. You think this would still be true if I were moving to a new house and all the devices were effectively new but the events that I wanted to run would be the same as the old house or similar?

And to be more clear, I'm not changing computers... I'm changing houses. Will use the same PC I have HS3 on now.

Comment

And to be more clear, I'm not changing computers... I'm changing houses. Will use the same PC I have HS3 on now.

If you were changing countries or latitude/longitude then you change that in the settings but the licence remains tied to the computer you registered it for. That's why you can ask to swap your licence in case your computer is no longer usable. (much as a Windows licence)

Edit : You still need to notify HomeSeer with your new details in case of remote access (MyHS) and HomeSeer Shop

Eman.

TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

hey there... did you ever get started on this and any feedback?

Comment

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way. All I've done so far is watch a couple of youtube videos showing example configurations.
                    -Wade

Comment

Working...
                    X