Just trying to copy/duplicate/backup microSD card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just trying to copy/duplicate/backup microSD card

To start, bought a new Zee S2 to have as a backup. I have not installed or set this up. Just wanting to backup the microSD card image 'just in case'.

Pulled the mSD card, downloaded and installed Win32DiskImager. Copied the mSD source disk to a file. The size of the file, on Win7, is reporting 15,588,352. Sounds about right. Now to create the backup. Started with a PNY 16GB card and then to a SanDisk 16GB card. Same exact results.

I have read all the related threads including getting SDFormatter (now a version 5.0.0.1) to format the card. (The UI on v5 is nothing like the photos posted for V4.0. Just get to select Quick format or overwrite.) Using quick format option, this seemed to progress quickly and complete. Win7 reports 15,923,118,080 byte free - more space than the image file size. Now, with Win32DI trying to image back to the mSD card is a train wreck. Win32 reports there are not enough sectors on the mSD card but "much of these sectors have no data". Continue? YES! Then Win32 just hangs (not responding). After 10 minutes or so it is still hung with 0% progress. Here's the kicker, I cannot exit out of the process. In fact I cannot "end process" in Task Manager.

Now, just do a restart right? Nope. Restart hangs in the "Logging off" screen. Only alternative is to power off crash the box which I have done at least three times now.

I am open to suggestions! Thanks in advance...

Ultimately I'd like to image/backup the system I'm using but this experience does not bode well.

This is an issue with Win32DiskImager. The copy fails if the destination disk is smaller than the source. Different vendors cards can vary in capacity just a bit, and that is enough to throw a wrench into things.

My go-to solution is the rpi-clone shell script. This runs on the rpi, copying the running OS disk to another. It allows a larger disk to be copied to a smaller one (contingent on sufficient free space of course). It also will properly resize when copying from a smaller disk to a larger one (vs. Win32DiskImager, which won't reclaim the additional free space).

I posted an installer here.

Comment

Using a Linux desktop GParted here many times resize the SD partition such that it is easier to store. That and have used DD via command line (Linux) to read/write partitions.

Well and have gone to using 32Gb SD cards even though sometimes only utilize 4-5 Gb of the partition.

Lately been using Etcher in Linux to write to USB / SD cards. Etcher runs in Linux, Windows or MAC OS's. (Etcher does not image cards)

Easy and quick is using the RPi clone mentioned above.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
        This is an issue with Win32DiskImager. The copy fails if the destination disk is smaller than the source. Different vendors cards can vary in capacity just a bit, and that is enough to throw a wrench into things.
        That's an understatement! And when it fails is surely is not graceful about it.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not a Linux or RPi expert in any sense. Just want to use tools available to the mere mortal. HS provides Transcend mSD cards. Maybe I will track down a couple of those as the course of least resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Using a Linux desktop GParted here many times resize the SD partition such that it is easier to store. That and have used DD via command line (Linux) to read/write partitions.

Well and have gone to using 32Gb SD cards even though sometimes only utilize 4-5 Gb of the partition.

Lately been using Etcher in Linux to write to USB / SD cards. Etcher runs in Linux, Windows or MAC OS's. (Etcher does not image cards)

Easy and quick is using the RPi clone mentioned above.
          Thank you, Pete. Obtaining a Transcend 16GB card or other 32GB card available locally maybe the next step to try.

One of my motivations here is to do complete reset of my running Zee. Why? I have lost system level access. (Cannot access Linux tools from the UI and cannot FileZIlla into the box for the simplest of tasks - eg. loading new images.) When I installed a new microSD from HS (troubleshooting other issues that the new image did not correct, all another story) somehow the user/pwd got mucked up. So, prior to doing a system reset I plan to set up the second Zee with a restore from my backup file. System level reset is the only option per HS support.

Comment

System level reset is the only option per HS support.

It is unless you DIY your RPi build.

Here when creating a base Linux HS3 installation create a HomeSeer group and two users:

pete
            Homeseer

These users are the same as the users in HS3. They have full RW access to /opt/Homeseer (or /usr/share/HomeSeer).

I still also utilize root access (even though I shouldn't).

I have been doing 32Gb builds mostly updating from 16Gb builds a few years back for ARM / Intel computers.

Testing now a 64Gb eMMC build. Backing it up is the same as an SD card.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete Thanks, again, Pete.

When I return from a short trip I'll pick up a 32GB card and give it a whirl. I will update.

One day I'll try to pick up sufficient Linux and RPi knowledge and try a DIY build. Always something to look forward to... you and all those on this forum are great teachers and are gracious with your time and information sharing.

Comment

I do see more stability in running HS3 Pro and lite in Linux than I did when running HS2 Pro and Standard in Windows 2003 standard. But that is me and more my opinion.

It was the $35 Arm based Raspberry Pi that brought the mini computer to the masses for the first time in computer history.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Try drivesnapshot.de (also English version)

Comment

Here have been using Drive Snapshot for many many years on my Windows computers and Homeseer touchscreens.

Great program!
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I received some 16GB and a 32GB Transcend cards. The 16GB card reports in Windows 15.9+ GB Free. But, the SD v5+ format program only reports 14+GB free.

I think the V5 format software is messing up the cards! Cannot locate V4. Think I'll just try Win32DI and see what happens.

Transcend 16GB is exactly what was shipped with my new (backup) Zee.

UPDATE: tried with the new SD card. I think the problem is Win31DI. Program starts up... 1) select image file, 2) select destination, 3) Click write...and the Win32SI immediately hangs. Force Shutdown is the only recovery. What's odd is that Win32DI read the original HS card and wrote the image.

Comment

Originally posted by raprap View Post
                        I received some 16GB and a 32GB Transcend cards. The 16GB card reports in Windows 15.9+ GB Free. But, the SD v5+ format program only reports 14+GB free.

I think the V5 format software is messing up the cards! Cannot locate V4. Think I'll just try Win32DI and see what happens.

Transcend 16GB is exactly what was shipped with my new (backup) Zee.

UPDATE: tried with the new SD card. I think the problem is Win31DI. Program starts up... 1) select image file, 2) select destination, 3) Click write...and the Win32SI immediately hangs. Force Shutdown is the only recovery. What's odd is that Win32DI read the original HS card and wrote the image.
                        I just did this same thing yesterday, hang and shutdown. My solution was that i was not choosing the root drive of the SD card, once i did that i was able to save an image then write it to a new card. leave the box that says something about only read the selected drive unchecked. FWIW i did not format my new card i just wrote to it as it came out the package.

Comment

I've had mixed success using WinDiskImager. It has failed on my twice when trying to write the Zee image. I use dd in linux. I understand many people may not be into linux. But, a live CD or USB stick can be run without installing anything on your PC. DD works every time.

Other windows options are Partiotion Guru, HDD Raw Copy, SD Imager

Comment

Originally posted by thomauto@aol.com View Post

I just did this same thing yesterday, hang and shutdown. My solution was that i was not choosing the root drive of the SD card, once i did that i was able to save an image then write it to a new card. leave the box that says something about only read the selected drive unchecked. FWIW i did not format my new card i just wrote to it as it came out the package.
                            Thanks, Thom. You are suggesting, then, that there is something wrong with the image file as it hangs as soon as I select it?

Comment

Originally posted by msinklair View Post
                              I've had mixed success using WinDiskImager. It has failed on my twice when trying to write the Zee image. I use dd in linux. I understand many people may not be into linux. But, a live CD or USB stick can be run without installing anything on your PC. DD works every time.

Other windows options are Partiotion Guru, HDD Raw Copy, SD Imager
                              Thanks, msinklar. Win32DI certainly is not graceful by any stretch. I will have a look at the other options that you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X