Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UDI Polisy... How does this fit into the overall automation picture?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UDI Polisy... How does this fit into the overall automation picture?

    Just got an email from UDI about this:

    https://www.universal-devices.com/introducing-polisy/

    I guess it is an add-on for the ISY controllers but I'm not clear how it fits into the overall scheme of things. Anybody familiar with it?

  • #2
    Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
    Just got an email from UDI about this:

    https://www.universal-devices.com/introducing-polisy/

    I guess it is an add-on for the ISY controllers but I'm not clear how it fits into the overall scheme of things. Anybody familiar with it?
    It is a standalone Polyglot server.

    Today polyglot is installed on a raspberry pi or pc or vm and interfaces to the ISY over the network. This of course requires that you have a rPi to install on and then you have to go through the manual process of installing Polyglot. The install is pretty easy and is scripted but does require some degree of Linux knowledge to get setup and working. This new Polisy is the "appliance" version that makes the setup/use of Polyglot much siimpler and easier for people.

    Comment


    • #3
      Follow up.... If you're not familiar with Polyglot....

      Polyglot is the "plugin" system for ISY. There's numerous nodeservers available for the ISY that work through Polyglot. I've published a few as well.

      Comment


      • #4
        So it would completely replace Homeseer? I could have Polyglot talk to my Weatherflow weather station and make weather announcements using my AT&T voices? (for example)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
          So it would completely replace Homeseer? I could have Polyglot talk to my Weatherflow weather station and make weather announcements using my AT&T voices? (for example)
          Maybe.... The current Polisy is the Polyglot appliance that then interfaces to your ISY. Together you might be able to replace HomeSeer if that was the goal. I know bpwwer who developed the WeatherFlow HS3 plugin also developed the Polyglot Nodeserver and I developed the AmbientWeather nodeserver along with the Hubitat nodeserver with more to come as well.

          As for the AT&T voices??? I don't even know what you're referring to there so I dunno. If you have an ISY running firmware 5.x then I would recommend you get a raspberry pi and setup Polyglot on it and give things a test spin.... then you could decide if you wanted to transition or incorporate the system into your HS3 environment.

          I run both currently.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

            Maybe.... The current Polisy is the Polyglot appliance that then interfaces to your ISY. Together you might be able to replace HomeSeer if that was the goal. I know bpwwer who developed the WeatherFlow HS3 plugin also developed the Polyglot Nodeserver and I developed the AmbientWeather nodeserver along with the Hubitat nodeserver with more to come as well.

            As for the AT&T voices??? I don't even know what you're referring to there so I dunno. If you have an ISY running firmware 5.x then I would recommend you get a raspberry pi and setup Polyglot on it and give things a test spin.... then you could decide if you wanted to transition or incorporate the system into your HS3 environment.

            I run both currently.
            AT&T are the voices I use for TTS in Homeseer. Probably 95% of my events involve a TTS announcement of some sort so voice selection is important to me.

            You say you currently run both but it looks like 100% overlap between Homeseer and Polyglot so I don't see the value add for running both if you can do the same things using just one or the other. What am I missing?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by upstatemike View Post

              AT&T are the voices I use for TTS in Homeseer. Probably 95% of my events involve a TTS announcement of some sort so voice selection is important to me.

              You say you currently run both but it looks like 100% overlap between Homeseer and Polyglot so I don't see the value add for running both if you can do the same things using just one or the other. What am I missing?
              I develop for both. Therefore I run both.

              I use amazon echo devices for my TTS through Alexa with ISY. I create the variable exposed as a sensor to Alexa and a routine to speak when that sensor is activated.

              I have never used the AT&T voices. Is that using a tablet or something with the HS speaker client?


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • #8
                HS speaker client. I need voice alerts to work even when the Internet is down... especially the one that alerts me that the Internet is down.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                  HS speaker client. I need voice alerts to work even when the Internet is down... especially the one that alerts me that the Internet is down.
                  Not sure specifically what you would use, I know there's a Sonos polyglot and other AV polyglot's. You should post on the UDI forum asking them. I don't have much in the form of AV equipment and no boxes or tablets for HS speaker client sitting around.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X