No announcement yet.

New House with Septic System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread has got me thinking. My septic is gravity only, with no pumps so It won't be affected if the power fails but what if I lose gravity? Do you think this meter could interface with Homeseer to alert me if this should occur?

https://scintrexltd.com/product/cg-6...gravity-meter/

I would be cool if instead of just a yes/no detection it could provide an actual gravity reading that Hommeseer could announce any time it fluctuates.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
      This thread has got me thinking. My septic is gravity only, with no pumps so It won't be affected if the power fails but what if I lose gravity? Do you think this meter could interface with Homeseer to alert me if this should occur?

https://scintrexltd.com/product/cg-6...gravity-meter/

I would be cool if instead of just a yes/no detection it could provide an actual gravity reading that Hommeseer could announce any time it fluctuates.
      But what if the space/time distortion isn't consistent across your drainfield ?

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post

But what if the space/time distortion isn't consistent across your drainfield ?
        Hopefully somebody will right a plugin to deal with that.

Comment

My septic is gravity only, with no pumps so It won't be affected if the power fails but what if I lose gravity? Do you think this meter could interface with Homeseer to alert me if this should occur?
          You might notice that you are having difficulty maintaining contact with the floor or the furniture is floating around the room and bumping into the walls.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            You might notice that you are having difficulty maintaining contact with the floor or the furniture is floating around the room and bumping into the walls.
            I tend to get preoccupied and might not notice that right away. Best to have a Homeseer announcement to help bring it to my attention.

Comment

We've had a septic tank for the last 35 years and had it pumped for the first this year. In this area they are single large concrete tanks that have multiple field lines running out and as long as there are no trees to block the lines or your lawn is swampy you should be set for a long while. The septic company told me that it only had about 8 inches of sludge and would have lasted many more years so I guess my family isn't full of crap as others
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Clearly you need to eat more fiber

OK, no more poop jokes, especially since Rupp has the Off switch...

Comment

You guys are making my day!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I tend to get preoccupied and might not notice that right away. Best to have a Homeseer announcement to help bring it to my attention.
                    Nothing will be flowing from your toilets and sinks into the septic system anyways so hopefully you'll notice things floating up versus flushing down.
                    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Rid-X once a month. https://www.rid-x.com/
                      Michael

Comment

For the tanks in the event that they were full, I believe by code you are supposed to have a tank alarm in your house-you can piggy back a mimolite or a door sensor with dry contacts off of the float switch or add your own separate float switch to a mimolite or other sensor with dry contacts to the tank. That way if gravity stops, i.e. your tanks get full for some reason you'll know.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

Nothing will be flowing from your toilets and sinks into the septic system anyways so hopefully you'll notice things floating up versus flushing down.
                          Maybe but a gravity monitoring and announcement feature in Homeseer would still be cool. I'm going to add it to the feature request list for HS4.

Comment

You are getting it inspected, that's good. I had no idea you should/could do that and within a year of buying my house the fiberglass tank collapsed. I've had nothing but septic issues, but I'm not normal (we only have septics around here). My mom has had one for nearly 30 years and never had it pumped or any issues unless we had an abnormal amount of rain and her drain field is saturated.

One note, clean your filter every 6 months. I don't...I'm bad. We had to call the septic company out to pump it cause nothing would flush. Turns out it was just a clogged drain, but it had backed up so unless you wanted to reach in blindly to find the filter, it had to be pumped a bit first. Guy said even with our load (8 people in the house), if we cleaned the filter once every 6 months we'd likely never have to call them. That we could probably go 10 years without a pump.

If I remember correctly he said a tank without a filter will need to be pumped 2-3 years, one with a filter that is never cleaned will about double it (which was my case) and if you clean it regularly, 10 years or more.

Also, you know somethings wrong if crap is coming back up the drains Though in my experience that would never happen. More likely than not things will drain slowly or not drain at all. In my experience this always happens on a weekend when prices are about double to get anything done

Comment

Originally posted by Dweber85rc View Post
                              For the tanks in the event that they were full, I believe by code you are supposed to have a tank alarm in your house-you can piggy back a mimolite or a door sensor with dry contacts off of the float switch or add your own separate float switch to a mimolite or other sensor with dry contacts to the tank. That way if gravity stops, i.e. your tanks get full for some reason you'll know.
                              What i found during inspection. Guess it would be pretty hard to miss this light going off. that said, pretty easy to hook something up to monitor if you wanted.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_101422.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1310770

Comment

Working...
                              X