Ecolink / Z-Wave Sensors -> Sensor Binary vs Access Control Notification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecolink / Z-Wave Sensors -> Sensor Binary vs Access Control Notification

I have TONS of Z-Wave devices such as the Ecolink door/window sensors that create these two devices: Access Control Notification & Sensor Binary.

I scoured the manufacturer's literature, this forum and Google.

What is the difference between the two, which of these should I use for events (like tripping when a door is opened), and is there any other info that's helpful to know?

I'm also starting this topic so that other folks in the future who are faced with the same quagmire will hopefully find it to land on!!

My understanding is that the access control notification is a newer zwave command class that was added for security systems and may not be supported by all zwave controllers. Sensor binary is an older command class that’s still there for backwards compatibility. HS3 supports both so really does not matter which one you use. I tend to use the access control one, but it should not matter.
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

sparkman,

Thank you for the insight!!

Have you or anyone else ever had the behavior where you open the sensored door, and only one of the devices changes to Open/Not Ready?

For example, I have an Ecolink sensor on a patio door. I just opened it this morning. The ACN showed the open, the Sensor Binary did not.

If you (or anyone else) have/has experienced this phenomena, how did you account for it in logic?

Comment

I have quite a few of those sensors and have not observed that. I just double-checked all of them and the two child devices are consistent for all. What you may want to try is delete the non-changing child device for the affected node, and then rescan the device to recreate it.
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
        X