Suggestions for PIR for Alarm & Occupancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for PIR for Alarm & Occupancy

I'm looking for suggestions for a PIR (hardwired) to connect to my elk system to act as a occupancy sensor soo it has to be fast and also act as a alarm sensor when the Elk is armed soo it has to be able to filter for false alarms.

Any Suggestions?

I recently updated my PIRs to combo PIR/Microwave sensors on walls and historically have 180 ° circular sensors in the ceilings (pita to install).

Occupancy is still a bit difficult using my OmniPro 2 panel.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi Pete, Which models did you go with?...I was thinking of using ceiling mount for occ. and corner mount for alarm but it would be nice to have both in one. There was a PIR that had a jumper to select sensitivity I cant remember the model but you could wire it so when the system was armed it was more selective for alarm and more fast acting when the system was disarmed ect.

Comment

I like the Bosch Blue Line Gen2 Quad PIR

Comment

The Bosch Looks good as a alarm PIR, I was looking at the TriTech Gen 2 model, I wonder how fast it will respond for occ tho.

Comment

These are good if you have problems with false alarms.
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Their availability comes and goes.)

Comment

I currently use the Bosch TriTech Gen 2 through my DSC alarm to trigger pathway and stairway lighting and it works great.

Comment

That's good to know about the TriTech because I was wondering if the Microwave would slow down the trigger for occ.

Comment

Originally posted by MStan View Post
                  Hi Pete, Which models did you go with?...I was thinking of using ceiling mount for occ. and corner mount for alarm but it would be nice to have both in one. There was a PIR that had a jumper to select sensitivity I cant remember the model but you could wire it so when the system was armed it was more selective for alarm and more fast acting when the system was disarmed ect.
                  Hi Pete, what models are you using ?

Comment

For the Microwave / PIR wall mounted combos found a bulk generic purchase on Ebay...which are Napco C-100 STE's. Bulk buy. Like 10 or so.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      For the Microwave / PIR wall mounted combos found a bulk generic purchase on Ebay...which are Napco C-100 STE's. Bulk buy. Like 10 or so.
                      Napco's have always been good. What are you using for Occupancy or is the same . Just wondering if the Napco's would be good for occ because of the Microwave.

Comment

I just wanted to update the very old > 10 years old PIRs which was another bulk purchase from an alarm company. These are twice the size.

I use them mostly as PIRs. Originally did do the occupancy lighting stuff after hours and due to WAF (she likes the dark) shut off the automation.

That and at one time used them for enabling the touchscreen back lights.

In the 1980's and first security panel quote I had ADT do a survey of placement of PIRs then I did my own. Around 1988 purchased a panel called Excalibur which was your basic security panel, text to speech and X10. It was very large and difficult to program as you had to put words together.

The circular 180 PIR's are Rokonet which was another bulk purchase. When installing wall / ceiling speakers I installed the Rokonet. On the second floor used the attic to install these. Still a bit of a PITA. These are more commercial than for home.

Years ago had one false trigger with old PIR at the end of a long front door hallway. Front door had glass panels on each side with no shades.

Looks like maybe the false trigger was due to the sun and light hitting the PIR just right. Only happened once.

Outside used Optex PIRs and Optex combo camera PIRs. (another bulk deal). Last forever - no sun effects on the plastic.

Outside also utilize under the drive way wired sensors (Cartel) and Geophone sensors buried next to the front walk (tinker toys).

Geophones are very sensitive (too sensitive) and typically have been used for Earthquake sensors, police stake outs, mine tripping. At one time used one for traffic detection on an expressway about 2 miles away.

MStan

Can you set a delay on arming of the Elk panel? I use a delay here with my OmniPro 2 panel. That and have a console next to the doors.
                        I leave a beeping countdown enabled on the console when arming and disarming.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                        X