quick help with Zee S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick help with Zee S2

A few years ago my first Zee had a GUI you could run from the command line.
    Guess i'm having a senior moment trying to remember its name.

Does the New Zee S2 have the same GUI ?
    Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
    | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
    Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
    BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

If you are talking about the HS3 web interface, yes. You can get to HS3 using find.homeseer.com on your local network.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

No not the device manager.
      S2 at the command line has a graphical user interface. Is it ... STARTX
      it's on the job site, can't go test it right now.
      Blair

Comment

Yes the original Zee had an enabled desktop GUI - simple x windows. Not sure if the Zee 2 has the x windows desktop enabled.

X Windows on the RPi doesn't buy you much relating to using Homeseer 3. You can see if HS3 is running just by going to the HS3 web interface.

SSH to the RPi to update it if you want to use the command line which works way better.

- Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete, I left the S2 at work. Can't get at it until Monday. I read something about Debian having a GUI called STARTX. I'll check it out Monday
          Blair

Comment

Are you referring to a GUI desktop running on an attached HDMI monitor/keyboard/mouse?

starttx is "a front end to xinit that provides a somewhat nicer user interface for running a single session of the X Window System." - https://www.x.org/releases/X11R6.9.0.../startx.1.html

X-Windows is not installed on the current ZeeS2 image.

Code:
            pi@HS3Pi3v5:~ $ startx
            -bash: startx: command not found

Comment

Yeah as mentioned above startx just starts the gui. Easy way to remote is to leave a port for ssh open on the firewall and use a long password.

The you can log in with a reverse proxy and configure your home browser to use the loopback address so that you can see or interact with the web pages locally remotely via SSH. It is considered a "cheap" VPN tunnel.

Here typically have changed the GPU stuff to almost nothing as I am not using it or a monitor, keyboard and mouse with my RPis.

Neat little trick though if you are using x windows (start x) on linux is using a x console to ssh to the device and running the application on your linux desktop or laptop.

IE: ssh -Y user@ipofdevice.

So if you run GParted via SSH the gui shows up on your client computer.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
              X