Struggling to get 2 ZNETS running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling to get 2 ZNETS running

Tried adding a second Znet... And I've had nothing but problems. My home ID has changed. My z nets no longer work. I really can't figure out how to add a second one to my system.

Could someone please give me some step by step instructions. I do not have enough coverage for the house with just one.

Well there are a couple different ways you can run multiple z-nets or z-trollers. I originally started with 2 z-trollers and had them as a primary and secondary so that the devices were all associated with both devices. For me and many others that didn't work well so I know there are several people including myself that have multiple z-nets and each one is a different network/home ID. In my case I have 3 z-nets and have tried to basically slice the house into 3rds so that there is one for each section of the house.

So first we need to understand which method you are trying to use and also make sure you have backups of everything before starting. Including a complete backup of the HS directories and backups of the original z-nets config so that you can restore it if needed. If you are going for the method like I'm using you will basically have to remove a device from the original z-net and then add it to the new one. This is a bit time consuming and tedious, but once I was done my system was much more stable. I'm sure several others will be able to chime in as I know people have them running in both configurations.

Jeff

Comment

I was looking into the primary-secondary route, however, I couldn't really find any significant advantage other than not having to repair nodes. I only have 40-50 devices and about 25 events set up (very early stages of deploying things).

I was just going to have different znet with unique homeID's.

During the initial set up of the second znet, I was able to use find.homeseer.com to access the device (change the name and set up DHCP). The problems started when I tried to add it to homeseer - it resulted in a change to my home ID and made my existing znet a secondary controller. That messed things up considerably.

I am starting from scratch to try and understand how to add the znets.

I can access my original znet and it recognizes the name/address and I can also go directly into the znet IP address and change the ethernet/wireless settings.

When I try to access the second znet's IP address it takes me to homeseer software interface (not the znet interface). Should I disable my original znet on Homeseer and unplug the device before trying to access the second device?

Comment

There is a discussion on it here, if you have not found it yet.
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-network/page5

I have added a z-net as an inclusion (secondary) controller to the network I am currently deploying. I can't offer you any real world experience with this yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bills.hancock@gmail.com View Post
          When I try to access the second znet's IP address it takes me to homeseer software interface (not the znet interface). Should I disable my original znet on Homeseer and unplug the device before trying to access the second device?
          Perhaps the new Z-Net has the wrong SD card installed? That happened to someone else recently, in the opposite direction.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-to-login-page

Comment

Thanks for the info...it does help clear some of the terminology up for me.

Still a little confused about how to deploy the second znet as a separate system

The original znet is on 192.186.1.11 - I can access the znet interface and change DHCP settings/name of interface/wireless options
            The second znet is on 192.168.1.9 - when I access this interface it takes me to Homeseer - where I can go to plug-ings --> zwave --> zwave --> controller management. Under zwave networks and options it lists 7-8 HomeID's - all say

"This network has no active interfaces enabled for it, and it has no objects or
            HomeSeer devices tied to it. If this network will not be used again, please
            use the functions at the end to remove this network and all associated
            network data. (Restart the plug-in after removing the interface before
            attempting the removal.)"

Which makes sense - I have never linked any nodes to this znet.

What I'm struggling with is getting the second znet added to the network below

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1312520

Comment

What all appears on the find.homeseer.com page? Presumably at least your main HS3 controller and the two Z-Net's?

The second znet is on 192.168.1.9 - when I access this interface it takes me to Homeseer
              Do you mean the HS3 interface? It should be the Z-Net page where you set the networking info.

If its the HS3 device page, and its not that of your main controller, I'd suspect you've got the wrong SD card installed in it.

Comment

When I access the znet on 192.168.1.11 - I get into the Z-Net page
                When I type in the znet address on the other device 192.168.1.9 - it takes me to HS3 interface (but not my main homeID HS3)

My HS3 is on 192.168.1.4

Comment

This is my find.homeseer.com

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1312547

Comment

When I access HomeTrollerZeeS2V5

Name:	Capture-4.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1312550

Comment

Originally posted by bills.hancock@gmail.com View Post
                      When I access the znet on 192.168.1.11 - I get into the Z-Net page
                      When I type in the znet address on the other device 192.168.1.9 - it takes me to HS3 interface (but not my main homeID HS3)

My HS3 is on 192.168.1.4
                      This confirms you have a ZeeS2 rather than a Z-Net. The hardware is identical but the SD card is different.

Somebody in the shipping department had a bad day...

Comment

so what I am trying to do is not possible with this hardware?

And if not, what hardware/SD card do I need to looking for?

Comment

AHHHH...I finally figured it out. Wrong device. Wow...face palm.

Comment

The Z-Net and the ZeeS2 are physically the same hardware: a Raspberry Pi computer, a small daughtercard that hosts the Z-Wave controller chip, and a customized case. The programming on the SD card is what makes then different products. As I said earlier, another user had the same issue in the opposite direction - maybe yours and his got mixed up

To fix, the SD card needs to be reprogrammed. Its possible for you to do this yourself - though obviously you shouldn't have to. I'd recommend contacting support and see what they say.

Comment

Working...
                            X