Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Access control , app, devices and events.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access control , app, devices and events.

Can some one point me to right direction please? I am trying to figure out best way to set up HS system so I have full system access and customer has limited access needed for using HS touch and mobile app. I am struggling to get it done.

Here is scenario:

HS3 Setup installed. That includes HS3 Server, wall mounted iPad. UI designed with HS Touch deployed to iPad(s). Mobile app used on phones.

I want to have one login for user (homeowner) that can be used with HS Touch client, Homeseer Mobile and MyHS service without having them having access to web interface so they can't make changes.

Also when they install Homeseer mobile I don't want them to see all event and devices. I can have hundreds of status devices that are used internally only to change graphic on iPad (motion, lights etc.) and same goes for events.

It makes mobile app really very difficult to use for regular customer if suddenly there are hundreds of useless devices they can't control. That's one reason I am staying away from Homeseer mobile for now.

I understand I can hide devices from Homeseer Mobile but guess what? You hide status device that is useless for customer but important for HS touch project to show status of motion in the room on iPad for example. It will hide it form Homeseer mobile which is great but it will also hide it from HS Touch so icon that was supposed to change based on status device on iPad controller is now gone as well. Not so cool anymore.

What do I do about events?

In other words, PLEASE, tell me how do I setup HomeSeer system so customer can fully enjoy and use all HS Touch, HomeSeer Mobile app with devices and events that I want them to see and at the same time restrict the access to settings (adding and removing devices, creating, changing and running event from HS3 web interface)?

When I sell the system, I want to make sure customer can't make changes to the system, run events that they are not supposed to run but still enjoy all benefits of custom system. Isn't that what they pay for?

There has to be way to set it up like that or it can be nightmare for installers to offer and sell it due to customer's full system access.

Thanks in advance for your tips. Charles

The HomeSeer system was mainly designed for the Tinker Man and designed whole with everything inclusive. So for HSTouch the basic app includes everything that you as you said don't want to see but that's why they offer you the designer so can bake your own. I have never had good success with password screens but maybe have not worked hard on them or it's an issue with iPads. With hidden screens in self designed HSTouch you can put critical items which you don't want a basic user access to and put them under admin. So if they click on button which takes them there they would get a password screen but it doesn't seem to work well on iPad but that said, it was a long time ago I checked.
    The Tools Settings under Network(User Access) you can set up per user and then there is also a user access control per device in the web UI but I have never used them and don't how good they are. And I think they work after you have set up user access in the settings
    If you are good with databases then study this guy's project here : https://rutg3r.com/hstouch-realtime-...ive-dashboard/ You may be able to come up with something special! He seems to have gone off the grid because he has not posted for a while.

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
      The Tools Settings under Network(User Access) you can set up per user and then there is also a user access control per device in the web UI but I have never used them and don't how good they are. And I think they work after you have set up user access in the settings

Eman.
      I use different users with different access, and they are buggy and poor at best, mainly due to the lack of popular usage. The web interface doesn't appear to track individual users/session cookies but are global, so if three instances of the web interface are in use and User1 changes the location, the other users will auto refresh to the new location as well.
      Also, as pointed out for HSTouch, there are undocumented dependencies for certain devices to be globally accessible, so if you change the access on root devices to restrict them, alexa will stop working, google home will stop working, thermostat functions will stop working, etc.

As the OP stated, the current flags of "Hide" and "Hide from Mobile" aren't granular enough for people who want to use both HSTouch and HS Mobile. I believe HS "assumed" one or the other in use, not both.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

I use different users with different access, and they are buggy and poor at best, mainly due to the lack of popular usage. The web interface doesn't appear to track individual users/session cookies but are global, so if three instances of the web interface are in use and User1 changes the location, the other users will auto refresh to the new location as well.
        Also, as pointed out for HSTouch, there are undocumented dependencies for certain devices to be globally accessible, so if you change the access on root devices to restrict them, alexa will stop working, google home will stop working, thermostat functions will stop working, etc.

As the OP stated, the current flags of "Hide" and "Hide from Mobile" aren't granular enough for people who want to use both HSTouch and HS Mobile. I believe HS "assumed" one or the other in use, not both.

Wow!

HST?.................Anyone out there?

Eman.

Comment

I was using HST, abandoned it in favor of voice control by GH and then re-introduced it because voice control/report is not universally better for everything. HST has many shortcomings but once you get in peace with it and don't get angry each time than it's ok :-)

I tried HS Mobile and I find that it is useless for me. Instead I have HST project designed for iPhone and I'm using it instead.

I also have a pop up screen "For use by administrator only" behind the buttons "all devices" and "all events" to discourage family members messing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
            I was using HST, abandoned it in favor of voice control by GH and then re-introduced it because voice control/report is not universally better for everything. HST has many shortcomings but once you get in peace with it and don't get angry each time than it's ok :-)
            HS Touch is the only way to get PRO looking custom GUI. Yes, it requires some graphic design and there a little learning curve. It has some shortcomings but overall it is usable.
            Most people still prefer touchscreen over voice. There is no substitute for screen that can give you a lot of information in one glance. But such screen is not practical on the phone.

I think we need both HS Touch and Homeseer mobile to make Homeseer professional solution for home automation with some decent user control.

Attached Files

Comment

Correction :
              Am so sorry for my post at #4 for using acronym "HST" I have seen it before elsewhere when used to refer to the HomeSeer Team ( rjh , macromark ,..etc)
              Otherwise I had run out of words to defend the indefensible!

Eman.

Comment

Working...
              X