No announcement yet.

Issues with Fibaro FGBS-222-US Smart Implant adding child devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well well... That was an enlightening discussion. I can't help but wonder if this should be reported to the Z-Wave Alliance or whoever oversees the Z-Wave compatibility. After all, the promise of interoperability has always been there. I've been planning to use this device, and sadly, it doesn't work as expected. And this comes right when the design is about finished and I was ready to build the prototype.

The project is to control the 2 roof heating wires that prevent ice blockage. The enclosure where the wiring is accessible is outdoor. Because of that and the fact the smart implant is an outdoor device, the enclosure will have to be heated.

My plan was, and still is as follow:
    1. use the device integrated temperature sensor and 1 output to keep the enclosure internal temperature around 5° C. This would be controlled by HS3 Pro where it would monitor that temp. sensor and switch 1 output on (when temp. is less than 3° C) or off (when temp. is more than 7° C) based on the read temp.
    2. use the SP/SD input to connect a DHT22 temperature and humidity sensor
    3. use the 2nd output to control relays switching power to both heating wires.
    To summarize what I read above:
    • both device relays get added to HS when including the device as unsecure
    • device internal temp. sensor gets added to HS when including the device as secure but only 1 device relay available
    Conclusion, I would need 2 devices at a minimum, 1 for the temp. sensor and one for the relays.

That leaves the inputs, SP/SD, IN1 and IN2.

Now, the questions that kill:
    • Assuming I use 2 devices, 1 secure, 1 unsecure, which one would recognize the DHT22 on the SP/SD input.
    • What are the "Application Status x" in the screen shot above?
    • When you change the device parameters, then remove and re-include it, does that changes the HS3 child devices added?
    • Which child devices gets added, or what is the difference in child devices when added as secure or non secure?
    • I'm guessing not, never tried that. But can HS add a device as secure and non secure simultaneously?

Comment

Worst case scenario, add the Fibaro device to a Fibaro controller (Lite is US$149 which I believe is enough) and get full control over all features, and then integrate the Fibaro controller into HomeSeer. Not ideal, but I highly doubt Fibaro cares about HomeSeer, so they will say it HomeSeer's fault, and HomeSeer points finger at Fibaro for not following standard.

It would indeed be nice if we could complain at the Z-Wave Alliance, and that Fibaro would be at risk of loosing their certification unless they make their device "All Hubs" compatible, as I'm 99% sure the fault lies with Fibaro, and I also don't like them for withholding firmware updates unless you have their controller. Z-Wave should do the same initiative that Zigbee has been doing since last year, pushed by Amazon (Alexa), Philips (HUE), IKEA (Smart Lightning), and Samsung (SmartThings) where a device has to work on all popular Zigbee hubs, and proper validation tests are available to verify before certification is allowed.

I'm stuck with dozens of Intermatic HA07 scene-controllers that are bulky, but extremely reliable and HomeSeer does not support them. However my old Vera3 controller does, and even though I had other plans for the Vera3, I'll probably re-purpose it to make those scene-controllers work within HomeSeer.

PS: My dream is still for HomeSeer to take a page out of Samsung's book and allow advanced end-users to create device configuration files ourselves that can then also be shared by end-users or by manufacturers directly. The whole GET and SET on each damn individual Z-Wave parameter is annoying, especially when you have to configure 20 dimmers with 10 parameters to adjust per dimmer, so you have to push the damn configuration button 400x, and one mistake and things act crazy that take even more time to diagnose.

Comment

RoChess

The Fibaro hub runs at 250-350 CDN$. I paid about 60 for the implant. And I already run 3 hubs, a ZNet, a Zigbee and an ISY with PL and ZWave. Adding another hub at 4 times the price of the device is pretty hard to justify. Let alone the increasing complexity. Adding 2 or 3 smart implant would still cost less.

I have not tested this myself yet but given the inclusion results differences mentioned in this thread, the fault definitely lies in Fibaro's yard.

What's bugging me the most is that I haven't seen any application using SP/SD temp. sensor input. Until I either see this or try it myself, I'm going blind. And that is not exactly fun.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
          and I also don't like them for withholding firmware updates unless you have their controller
          While Fibaro used to be strict on that, they have now told many of us they will happily embrace firmware updates with HomeSeer if HST work with them on it.

That's pretty HUGE - just like Aeotec provide firmware updates only for HomeSeer (aside from their own stand-alone installers which require excluding/reincluding) Fibaro devices being updatable only by HomeSeer and Fibaro would be massive!

There is thread here somewhere where a bunch of us have pleaded for HST to take up that offer but we haven't heard any word on this.

What the actual?!? When I make a sarcastic remark or joke it is moderated/deleted.
          But you specifically go out of your way to label multiple HS4 issues that cause data loss/crash of HS4 to be "grumbles".
          I can't even begin to put into words how offensive this is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
            While Fibaro used to be strict on that, they have now told many of us they will happily embrace firmware updates with HomeSeer if HST work with them on it.
            That is HUGE indeed, because I like Fibaro devices, but I was never a fan of their closed-eco-system hubs, so if they are willing to embrace HomeSeer that is great. Fibaro for their devices always includes all the Z-Wave parameters in their manuals and do not restrict their devices to work on other hubs (provided they support all the classes).

Hopefully, with HS4 now more or less launched, there will be time for the HomeSeer developers to look into this, because you would think it should not take a very long time development wise (difficult to say without full insight obviously), seeing as the core-code is already there the way it works for Aeotec/AeonLabs devices. It should benefit Fibaro from being able to sell more devices to HomeSeer users weary of being unable to update firmware, and HomeSeer becomes an even more attractive hub solution compared to others.

Now if only RJH sees this as a win-win then maybe it is possible to schedule this in on the roadmap (perhaps macromark can be of assistance).

Comment

I agree.

Sad to hear that HS is silent on this, would be too nice. Inter operation ability has been at the heart of z-wave since the beginning. It's been the holy promise in fact.

This is not new from HS but I won't expand too much on that. I can understand a company has priorities and goals, especially with HS4 coming out. But when your users base ask for something they should at least consider it, answer the users base and possibly put it on their road plan.

Comment

Fortunately, I saw this thread before I bought several of these devices. I was planning to connect 0-10V ultra sonic sensors to measure water levels but will skip this device if it doesn't work in HS. Is there any support for this device's inputs in HS?

Comment

These things look great if they work. Have you checked the settings on pages 27-28 of the manual? The default setting is that reporting is disabled. Maybe?

https://manuals.fibaro.com/content/m...-EN-T-v1.2.pdf
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500
                  Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station

Enabled Plug-Ins:
                  2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

Comment

Working...
                  X