Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Optimize Battery Operated Devices On A Z-Wave Network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Optimize Battery Operated Devices On A Z-Wave Network?

I have a relatively small Z-Wave network with a couple of powered devices (QTY 2 - HomeSeer HSM200 Z-Wave Multi-Sensors) and 3 battery operated Yale Door Locks. I setup the locks by bringing my Z-Net controller right next to door locks and then when the lock setup is complete, I put the Z-Net controller back in its usual place. I am seeing that the Garage Yale lock misses commands every now and then (it is the furthest device from the Z-Net controller). If I were to add a new powered HomeSeer HSM200 Z-Wave Multi-Sensor between the Z-Net controller and the battery operated garage Yale Door Lock, does anything special need to be done for the HSM200 Z-Wave Multi-Sensor to relay commands to and from the door lock? Any kind of optimization given that the Yale lock is battery powered?

Thanks!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

I have a similar setup - I live on the second floor of an apartment - I have a Kwik-set lock on the service door. It does miss sometimes but always catches up - I have also installed a https://aeotec.com/z-wave-repeater/ - in the room above it which helps - The devices operate on a mesh network so they talk to each other and take the best path (in their opinion). I've had HS do a 'Fully optimize network' a few times which might help.

That's my two cents..

**** I'll add - my apologize if you already know all this ****

Comment

So when I do a "Fully Optimize" do I need to do anything with the battery operated door lock so that they talk to the repeater instead of going all the way back to the Z-Net controller?
      jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

This is again may understanding of it all - First - because the locks run on batteries they are not repeaters - The switches are so you should use / place a switch or repeater (wired or plugged in) close to the lock - ZWAVE can transmit up to 300'+- in open country (not exact) - obviously much less depending on obstructions etc - The more non battery devices the better the mesh - the better the communication - I found this link while trying to learn about Zwave - You have to get some wired devices --

https://drzwave.blog/2017/01/20/seve...for-consumers/

Comment

Originally posted by jeanv View Post
          So when I do a "Fully Optimize" do I need to do anything with the battery operated door lock so that they talk to the repeater instead of going all the way back to the Z-Net controller?
          With battery devices you need to put them into a "wake" state. For example with my rechargeable Aeotec door sensors I hold down their button for 3 seconds - the yellow light then flashes for 10 minutes to confirm the device is now staying awake and thus able to respond to live commands.

You then go to HomeSeer, open that device, go to the Z-Wave tab, and Optimize just that particular device.

You could do a full network-wide optimize but that could take say 20 minutes depending how many device you have and thus the battery ones would timeout.

The best approach is doing 3 x regular optimise so they learn the best routes, and then do a full optimize.

Just don't follow HomeSeer's advice to do a backup/restore of your Z-Wave stick to do a fresh clear of your routes - HomeSeer's restore functionality is broken and you will end up with a destroyed setup.

Comment

Thanks so mcuh
            jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Working...
            X