Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help with Lubuntu upgrade to 18.04 64bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help with Lubuntu upgrade to 18.04 64bit?

Hi,

I have a Hometroller SEL Pro with Lubuntu 14.04 (original configuration).

I'm not familiar with Lynux commends and I'm looking for help upgrading to 18.04 64bit.

I understand from other posts that a total system rebuild is necessary. I don't mind this (or at least I hope I won't mind).

I've got a bootable USB with Lubuntu 18.04. From here, what are the steps?

Any help greatly appreciated. BTW, just FYI I'm not a developer.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Do the following at the command line prompt via ssh or on the console. It is preferred you do this on the console. I have done all mine remotely via SSH with no problems.

1 - sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

2 - sudo do-release-upgrade

3 - It will take a few minutes...30 plus?

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I presume I'm doing these steps once I've booted with the USB drive, is that correct? What's the process for this?

Thanks again,

Pete.

Comment

No.

The update is from the internet and no USB drive is necessary.

- Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

Comment

Oh great! Thanks Pete.

And this will wipe out the whole thing? Or will it keep HS3? Or I have to back it up and then restore?

will this convert to 64bit?

thanks again,

pete.

Comment

And this will wipe out the whole thing?

No. It just upgrades the OS.

will it keep HS3?

yes. You should always have a backup of the Homeseer directory as that is all you need for a Homeseer backup.

Here do a scheduled back up to an aux directory and then to a NAS box. PLUS do a backup before upgrading Homeseer. Back ups are small if you do not have large log files.

The upgrade will keep Mono as is.

That said I would upgrade mono to most current version post OS upgrade. This might be a real PITA to do.

will this convert to 64bit?

Homeseer is a 32 bit application whether you run it on WIndows or Linux.

Here newest test build for Homeseer is a Beelink BT3 Pro using an Atom Z8350 CPU / 4 Gb of RAM and a 64Gb eMMC.

Using this for Homeseer Lite (ZEE2 Homeseer or Homeseer Standard).

On the same running Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit build running a Windows 7 embedded 32 bit OS for Microsoft SAPI and speaker dot exe. You can also run Homeseer 3 in the VB instance. I have tested it to work fine.

BTW upgraded a Homeseer user in the UK second SEL to Ubuntu 18.04 in January, 2019. This one though was meant to be a weather station running two weather station programs for two weather stations.

Guessing you have upgraded the memory to max on the SEL Pro eh?
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Many thanks Pete,

I was looking to upgrade to the much lighter Lubuntu 18.04, 64 bit rather than Ubuntu - still need ram upgrade (which type?). Does this change the original steps described in your first replay?

Any thoughts on Lubuntu vs Ubuntu? Not quite looking to buy another machine to run HS3. It would make the purchase of the hometroller sel useless.

Final objective is to run conbee and jowihue - I understand that conbee needs 64 bit (if i remember correctly).

thanks,

Pete

Comment

I was looking to upgrade to the much lighter Lubuntu 18.04, 64 bit rather than Ubuntu - still need ram upgrade (which type?).

Yes personally prefer LUbuntu over XUbuntu and Ubuntu LTS. I also use Ubuntu like Server for automation (Octocore ARM - Armbian Linux).

still need ram upgrade (which type?).

Yes. Not sure what type and if you already are maxed out on the device.

More RAM is always good. You can run LUbuntu (or any Ubuntu) 64 bit with 2 Gb of RAM. 4Gb is better. 8Gb would be optimal if the computer can do this.

The BeeLink that I am tinkering with has 4Gb of RAM. I have given 1 Gb of RAM to the Windows 7 embedded the LUbuntu configured desktop.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

ok - that didn't work too well -

I entered the first commend : sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

After reading package lists, reply was : 0 Upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I then went with command number 2 as per your suggestion : sudo do-release-upgrade

Reply : no new release found.

What went wrong?

Comment

Reply : no new release found.

1 - try doing do-release-upgrade -d first
                    2 - do a cat /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
                    3 - sudo nano /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
                    4 - change ...

[DEFAULT]
                    # Default prompting behavior, valid options:
                    # # never - Never check for a new release.
                    # normal - Check to see if a new release is available. If more than one new # release is found, the release upgrader will attempt to upgrade to # the release that immediately succeeds the currently-running
                    # release.
                    # lts - Check to see if a new LTS release is available.
                    The upgrader # will attempt to upgrade to the first LTS release available after # the currently-running one.
                    Note that this option should not be # used if the currently-running release is not itself an LTS # release, since in that case the upgrader won't be able to # determine if a newer release is available.
                    Prompt=never

If the last line says "never" change it to "normal" for Ubuntu 17.10 users. For Ubuntu 16.04 LTS users, change it to "LTS". Otherwise you will get the upgrade...um "never": let me know how this works for you.

BTW what are you upgrading from?

If it is 32 bit then your update will be 32 bit.

Personally I would install 64 bit from scratch and just copy over your HS3 stuff (back it up).
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

If HS3 is 32 bit, will it run ok on 64 bit? Or do I need a partition or something?

And to do a fresh install of 64 bit, how do I go about it?

Thanks!!

Comment

Btw, upgrading from 14 (I think it's 14.04 lts)

Comment

If HS3 is 32 bit, will it run ok on 64 bit?

Upgrading Ubuntu 32 bit will upgrade to 32 bit Ubuntu. Homeseer will run fine on either a 32 bit build or 64 bit build.

Or do I need a partition or something?

No repartitioning is needed.

And to do a fresh install of 64 bit, how do I go about it?

1 - Download LUbuntu (or XUbuntu) and write the ISO to a USB stick.

2 - Live boot the Ubuntu and using file manager copy your Homeseer 3 directory to a USB stick.

3 - Install Ubuntu from scratch. It will reformat the drive when it installs.

4 - install openssh-server if not installed via a console terminal window

5 - follow the documented process (here) to install the Homeseer 3 prerequsites (really just mono)

6 - configure Homeseer to auto start. (via script or cron).

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

If you’re using 14.04 LTS there should be a distribution upgrade path to 18.04 LTS. Not familiar with the SEL unit but in preference I’d be more likely to choose a fresh install of 18.04 and do a fresh install of HS3 and restore your HS3 config backup.

I’ve found in the past that distribution upgrades never end well. Artefacts of the previous OS version lie around on your system ready to bite you at a later stage when you least expect it.

Again this is just a personal experience and a little bit of friendly advice. It’s entirely your choice.

Comment

Thank you both for the advise. I think the fresh install of 18.04 is the way to go.

Pete, sorry for my ignorance of Linux - if you could help with the commands that'd be much appreciated ::

1 - Download LUbuntu (or XUbuntu) and write the ISO to a USB stick.

-- done

2 - Live boot the Ubuntu and using file manager copy your Homeseer 3 directory to a USB stick.

-- commands?

3 - Install Ubuntu from scratch. It will reformat the drive when it installs.

-- commands?

4 - install openssh-server if not installed via a console terminal window

-- how?

5 - follow the documented process (here) to install the Homeseer 3 prerequsites (really just mono)

-- I've seen very long threads on this. Much more than I can handle. A bullet list of steps?

6 - configure Homeseer to auto start. (via script or cron).

-- how?

thank you again. Almost there!!

Comment

Working...
                              X