Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help with Lubuntu upgrade to 18.04 64bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 - Live boot the Ubuntu and using file manager copy your Homeseer 3 directory to a USB stick.

-- commands?

3 - Install Ubuntu from scratch. It will reformat the drive when it installs.

-- commands?

Live boot includes an install icon. Just follow the default prompts. and if you want google "install Ubuntu 18.04"

Ubuntu file manager resembles Microsoft explorer.

If you already have a Linux running HS3 box then all that is needed is the Homeseer directory wherever it is at.

There is no official install of HS3 other than unzipping a compressed directory then running Homeseer wherever it is at.

The HS that runs in Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit or 64 bit is exactly the same as the Homeseer that runs in Ubuntu 18.04 32 bit or 64 bit.

Copying the HS directory there is no issues then relating to export / import or licensing.

4 - install openssh-server if not installed via a console terminal window

-- how?

I typically do everything here remotely via an SSH session and do not connect the HS3 Linux box to a keyboard/mouse or monitor.

This is only if SSH is not installed by default (it is typically installed on Ubuntu server). Not sure anymore if it is installed by default in LUbuntu or XUbuntu.

So when I first install it I do use a monitor / keyboard for first live boot and check if ssh is installed and install it if it is not installed.

5 - follow the documented process (here) to install the Homeseer 3 prerequsites (really just mono)

-- I've seen very long threads on this. Much more than I can handle. A bullet list of steps?

A - mono installation following this link:

hxxps://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-lin

sudo install mono-complete
    sudo install mono-vbnc

Easey peasey.

6 - configure Homeseer to auto start. (via script or cron).

-- how?

A - install Webmin to give you a graphical html interface to your new box first.

Installing Debian Webmin instructions here:
    hxxp://www.webmin.com/deb.html

Follow this order:

wget hxxp://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.920_all.deb

sudo apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python

dpkg --install webmin_1.920_all.deb

WAIT a few minutes until console tells you it is done.
    B - Test run HS3 via console going to the Homeseer directory and running ./go

C - when you see that it runs fine then we can go configuring it to automagically start.

There is no right or wrong way to install Homeseer or Linux...

Here mostly Linux these days...4 laptops are configured for dual booting Linux and Windows 10 and never use Windows 10 these days.
    Desktop also dual boots and mostly 99% of the time run Ubuntu Linux on it. (desktop has 32 Gb of RAM and 3 wide screen monitors on it these days).

I do run some Microsoft products in Linux using PlayOnLinux these days and configured lite Windows 7 embedded Oracle Virtual box.

For example the HS3 server you are building can also run a small W7e or XPe or XP virtual box for using Microsoft SAPI / speaker for SAPI speech / audio instead of using Linux speech or a HS3 proxy plugin. Before thinking about this though check the CPU on your box for Virtualization.

If you utilize a Linux desktop (or Windows desktop) on another computer in your home then you can SSH, SFTP, RDP to your new box any time you want.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

What is Mono? What is it used for?

And.... I'm not really installing HS3 server. Just plain ol HS3 pro. So no server needed - do i still need openssh-server? and Mono?

Comment

What is Mono?

From the Mono Wiki

Mono is a free and open-source project to create an Ecma standard-compliant .NET Framework-compatible software framework, including a C# compiler and a Common Language Runtime. Originally by Ximian, it was later acquired by Novell, and is now being led by Xamarin, a subsidiary of Microsoft and the .NET Foundation. The stated purpose of Mono is not only to be able to run Microsoft .NET applications cross-platform, but also to bring better development tools to Linux developers. Mono can be run on many software systems including Android, most Linux distributions, BSD, macOS, Windows, Solaris, and even some game consoles such as PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360.

The Mono project has been controversial within the open-source community, as it implements portions of .NET Framework that may be covered by Microsoft patents. Although standardized portions of .NET Framework are covered under Microsoft Open Specification Promise—a covenant stating that Microsoft will not assert its patents against implementations of its specifications under certain conditions—other portions are not, which led to concerns that the Mono project could become the target of patent infringement lawsuits. Following Microsoft's open-sourcing of several core .NET technologies since 2014 and its acquisition of Xamarin in the beginning of 2016, an updated patent promise has been issued for the Mono project (§ Mono and Microsoft's patents).

What is it used for?

It is used for running any version of Homeseer 3 in Linux or iOS.

Would this change what you recommend for installations?

no.

Personally here have always installed the release version of Mono from here ==> https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/

Running HS3 aspx pages has not worked with release versions unless you edit a bash script used for mono. Currently with release version the aspx bash script does not work on Intel, AMD or Arm CPUs with Linux installed. (for me).

There is a lively discussion on the forum right now related to HS3 and Mono. Take a gander at it.

I have not seen noticible issues with my HS3 Lite and HS3 Pro box at this time.

Have you built your HS3 LUbuntu server?

The RPi version of HS3 puts the HomeSeer directory in this location:

/usr/local/HomeSeer

I prefer to install it here:

/opt/HomeSeer

Others install it here:

/home/username/HomeSeer

It is up to you where you want it.

Next I would create two sudo users with RW rights to the HomeSeer directory.

1 - yourself
        2 - homeseer

- Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

hometroller SEL running Lubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit successfully.

mono installed.

openssh client and server both installed - not sure both are needed.

do I need to add the bash script you mentioned for mono? If so, how?

and thanks, yet again!!

Comment

Good news Pedro!!!

openssh client and server both installed - not sure both are needed.

Here only utilize OpenSSH to remotely manage the box to to manage another box from same said box.

Manage==>updating et al.

You can do similiar with a Web GUI based application called Webmin. I have utilized this program for many years now.

To install Webmin:

1. wget hxxp://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.920_all.deb
            2 sudo apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python
            3 sudo dpkg --install webmin_1.920_all.deb

do I need to add the bash script you mentioned for mono? If so, how?

The bash script just replaces a mono bash script in the /usr/bin directory. It doesn't work right now with current version of mono.

Will post it in a few minutes...have to run out for a bit.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete,

now using GUI to extract the backedup HS3 tar to /opt but no permissions. how to fix?

did work with sudo in terminal , but why not with the GUI? how can I have the same permissions as sudo (terminal) on the GUI?

HS3 now in /opt

how much do I need webmin?

now how to get HS3 working again?

PS: localhost not working.

Comment

now using GUI to extract the backedup HS3 tar to /opt but no permissions. how to fix?

use sudo or type sudo su before you begin doing stuff.

how can I have the same permissions as sudo (terminal) on the GUI?

The desktop user only has user rights. So you would have rights to copy stuff over to your /home/user directory.

In a terminal you can do a sudo su then run the file manager executible from the terminal.

Thinking the name of the file manager in LUbuntu is PCManFM .

So you would type sudo pcmanfm.

So for users homeseer and yourself do this:

sudo chown -R testuser:testuser /opt/HomeSeer

IE:

sudo chown -R homeseer:homeseer /opt/HomeSeer

Disable or remove default user in Homeseer GUI.

how much do I need webmin?

Webmin is just a management GUI. You can even do SSH with it. Check on utilization / processes. Edit cron jobs.

PS: localhost not working.

So in one terminal window you do this to run HS3.

1 - sudo su

2 - cd /opt/HomeSeer

3 - do not close the terminal window as it will close Homeseer.

4 - Type ./go

5 - In the web browser you go to: hxxp://127.0.0.1/ to access Homeseer
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

on typing ./go...

Unhandled Exception:
                  System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'HSConsole.My.MyProject:m_ComputerObjectProvider' (0) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=' or one of its dependencies.
                  [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'HSConsole.My.MyProject:m_ComputerObjectProvider' (0) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=' or one of its dependencies.

any ideas... ?

Comment

It is likely missing the mono-vbnc package.

in ssh. Please type : mono -V

and report the output (want to know on which version of mono you are on before going to the next step)

Comment

Type to fix the above issue:

sudo apt install mono-vbnc

to install mono-vbnc

There is more ....relating to Linux text to speech..

sudo apt install flite

sudo apt-get install libttspico-utils

and way back this was recommended....I still install it...

sudo apt install chromium-bsu
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Seems like chromium-bsu package is a game?
                        I remember linux suggesting this package as an alternative to chromium.

This is one of the weird things in Linux lol

Code:
                        apt install chromium
                        Reading package lists... Done
                        Building dependency tree       
                        Reading state information... Done
                        Package chromium is not available, but is referred to by another package.
                        This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
                        is only available from another source
                        However the following packages replace it:
                          chromium-bsu

E: Package 'chromium' has no installation candidate

Comment

You are right Matt. Thank you.

Never looked after all these years.

So remove it Pedro if you have installed it.

Removing it here from my HS3 builds...well it is not installed...on both machines...

~# apt remove chromium-bsu
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree
                          Reading state information... Done
                          Package 'chromium-bsu' is not installed, so not removed
                          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

With the above stuff done you should have a running HS3. Let it run manually for a bit and do the configuration stuff using the HS3 GUI.
                          IE: location stuff, et al.

Next we will set it up to auto start on reboot. There are a few options / mechanisms to do this.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

chromium-bsu not installed. Using Firefox. Then again, I never use this machine, I just access HS3 remotely.

mono-vbnc now installed.

HS3 now working ! Amazing.

Now, to autostart on reboot.

Thanks Pete for all your help. And Matt for joining in, good catch there.

PS: All this just to install the conbee - jowihue combo and play with lights.

Comment

OK the quickie way to auto start Homeseer is via a boot cron job. Here is where you can utilize Webmin instead of the doing it the CLI way (long math way).

In Webmin go to system / scheduled cron jobs

Create a new Cron job calling it Homeseer Start.

- execute cron job as root
                              - when to execute - when system boots

commands to run: sleep 120 && exec sh /opt/HomeSeer/autostart_hs

Edit autostar_hs so it looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
                              export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
                              cd /opt/HomeSeer
                              mono HSConsole.exe

If autostart_hs is not there then create it using nano.

sudo nano /opt/HomeSeer/autostart_hs

then make the file executible by typing:
                              sudo chmod +x autostart_hs

sudo reboot. Wait a few seconds then go to the Homeseer browser interface.

Typically here do not have a monitor connected to the Homeseer boxes and do everything remotely.

Another way to make HomeSeer autostart is to create a service.

There are a few descriptions on the forum for how to do this. Will post a link shortly.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete. I will get to this second, but first a question: I can access HS3 from elsewhere in the network for a while, say 30-60 min after starting it on terminal with ./go. After that (maybe machine going to sleep) HS3 is no longer available.

Any ideas? Or best ways to address?

Comment

Working...
                                X