Trane XR724 Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trane XR724 Compatibility

I understand the XL824 does not work with HS3 directly. Does anybody know if the XR724 does? I am not quite sure which part makes the XL824 incompatible. Some said it's like a Wi-Fi thermostat. In this case, looking at the table below, it appears the XR724 also isn't compatible. But then again, I though Nexia was pretty much all z-wave. I guess I don't quite understand the "Nexia Connectivity" and nexiahome.com isn't very helpful, either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trane.png
Views:	1688
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1316513

I'm an American Standard (same thing as Trane) dealer.

All the Nexia branded stats use the normal Z wave frequency. Nexia is simply a brand name (just like HS or Vera). Nexia hubs will accept ANY z wave device (with setbacks obviously, just like any other controller), but since Ingersoll-Rand (parent of Trane/AS) also owns Nexia (which used to be owned by Schlage until IR bought them out) they created a proprietary link with their stats.

624- standard wire stat (RCGWY). Will connect to any Z wave capable hub (including Nexia). Will not connect directly to WiFi. Is just about phased out, I can't even get them anymore.

724- standard wire stat (RCGWY). Hasn't been released to dealers yet. It's supposed to be an upgrade from the 624 (firmware capability and features). Since I haven't played with one yet, my guess is that it won't be capable of connecting to generic Z wave hubs. Ingersoll-Rand is really pushing Nexia.

824- standard wire stat (RCGWY). Has built in Nexia hub (capable of accepting other Z wave devices with no local control, they link to the internal hub, and control is through Nexia account). It will connect to Nexia through built in WiFi or RJ45 on the back.

850/1050- These controls are only capable of working with serial communicating equipment (gnd, 24v, and data wires only). Has built in Nexia hub (capable of accepting other Z wave devices with no local control, they link to the internal hub, and control is through Nexia account). They will connect to Nexia using WiFi. I'm not sure where you got this chart from, but I've never seen any of them with an RJ45 port. They're essentially the same, just different sizes, and the 850 doesn't support zone controls.

950- DISCONTINUED, replaced by 1050. Serial communication, no built in hub. Capable of connecting to hub and WiFi.

I used Nexia for a few years. I wasn't happy with not having local control (vs on their server). If the internet dropped, I lost all automations. I also wasn't happy with not having command control over any device attached to it. With many devices, I wasn't able to set them up for my needs, just the basics- switch, temp sensor, etc. Anything with multiple devices (double in wall switches for example), it couldn't handle more than one on the network. It may be better now.

Comment

cahilj, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! This is extremely helpful information. There were quite a number of threads on this forum about the Trane stats. While there was some consensus that only the 524 and 624 work with HS, you provide the background information to understand the compatibility issues. The summary is, only the 524/624 work with non-Nexia hubs and the 624 will soon be replaced which only leaves the 524... That strategy looks ok if you want to push Nexia but overall I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. Just my opinion.

Thanks for explaining what Nexia really is. I was under the impression this is just z-wave. Actually, when I purchased my Schlage locks they also advertised it with the Nexia hub but the locks still worked with other z-wave hubs, apparently because they use the standard z-wave protocol. Now that Ingersoll-Rand acquired Nexia they move to a proprietary protocol. That really limits Trane stat owners severely what they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
        cahilj, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! ...That really limits Trane stat owners severely what they can do.
        This^^^

Current Trane XL824 owner here. Had the free Nexia account that came with the stat but added a schlege connect lock and really not wanting to pay $10 a month to have the lock on the account. Really like what HomeSeer has going here but it looks like I either use free Nexia for the stat or upgrade to a different brand/unit to get it all in the HomeSeer platform....woof.

Comment

Along with $10K+ of new HVAC equipment, they installed a XL824 today. Reading the documentation, it does have an option to disassociate it from Nexia, and use it as a Z-wave "repeater". Further instructions mention excluding it from an existing network by following the directions of the existing hub. To me, that seems to indicate that it should be able to connect to HS. Wondering if they added some new firmware, as no one else seems to have mentioned this in the past. Or I may be deluding myself, and find that they've set it up to ONLY connect to another Nexia hub.

On duty tomorrow and Sunday, so won't have a chance to fiddle with it until next week.
          My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Their wordings are always very confusing. I agree this sounds like it can connect to another hub but if that's indeed the case then probably only another Nexia hub. As of maybe half a year ago, the 824 could only work as a hub or be a repeater but not actually join another hub as a z-wave device. I guess the "easiest" (they never make it easy) way to find out if this changed is if the manual mentions some inclusion/exclusion functionality for the 824 itself (an not for other devices joining/leaving the 824 hub). Maybe when it's in repeater mode the inclusion/exclusion is for the 824 itself to join/leave another hub. I would give it a try but don't keep your hopes up.

I am not sure where your thermostats are placed but there might be a solution that is much nicer but requires some work. You can place a simple z-wave thermostat right next to the heater or some other hidden place where you can route a/the control cable to the heater/AC. You will have to make sure this thermostat can disable the internal temperature/humidity reader and only use remote sensors. Then you will have to place at least one remote sensors somewhere, hopefully wired. If you control everything through HomeSeer or Alexa/Google you are done. No thermostat in sight anymore. However, if you still want to have convenient overrides, you can now install a small tablet where your thermostat used to be. If the new thermostat is right next to the heater/AC you can now use the unused control cable to provide power to the tablet. This tablet will run HSTouch that allows you to control the heater and everything else that can be controlled through HomeSeer. It requires a good amount of work, though, especially if you also have to create nice HSTouch screens.

Comment

I would be surprised if you got it connected to anything but a Nexia branded hub/bridge.

What version firmware does it have? I'll have to pull one off the shelf and compare.

Comment

And the winner is.......not me.

As predicted, it will connect to the existing HS Z-wave system, but that's it. It's a node/repeater but no thermostat functions are visible to HS. Once it's included in the Z-wave network, you can reconnect to Nexia for weather/remote control/etc.

Disappointed, but I went into this with very low expectations.
                My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Has anyone been able to advance this connection beyond what JLehnert has reported? What a shame, if not. The Trane series of stats do have some nice capabilities. I'm always looking for a "complete" T-Stat.

The wish list would be:
                  1.) Ability to control a whole house humidifier
                  2.) Zone control
                  3.) Ability to disconnect from the cloud

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by James Fletcher View Post
                    The wish list would be:
                    1.) Ability to control a whole house humidifier
                    2.) Zone control
                    3.) Ability to disconnect from the cloud

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
                    XL624 can do all that. They show up from time to time on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

XL624 can do all that. They show up from time to time on eBay.
                      The 624 isn't capable of zone control. Neither is the 724 or 824.

To get zone control, the 850 is the first available.

Comment

Originally posted by cahilj View Post

The 624 isn't capable of zone control. Neither is the 724 or 824.

To get zone control, the 850 is the first available.
                        Sorry, it was there, but I just read past the zone control part...

Of course, it like many other thermostats can be used with zoning systems, but not the best systems that require proprietary communicating thermostats.

Comment

Working...
                        X