Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Z-wave micro module for most switches and box to be covered with faceplates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Z-wave micro module for most switches and box to be covered with faceplates

Today, 10:49 AM
    Hi,

Homeseer newbie here and switching from ISY. I am moving to a new house and I am thinking of "eliminating" most of the switches by "covering" them with faceplates for a cleaner look.
    1. Install z-wave micro module inside the box
    2. Cover box with faceplates
    3. Lights to be controlled via Z-wave motion sensors or voice activation (Google assistant) or other related events

Wish List:
    4. in key strategic locations, I like to have Legrand wave switch ( a bit pricey) so has to be selected areas only.

Question?
    1. Can micro-module be installed without the physical switch?
    2. Is having semi-"switchless" house a good plan?
    3. What is the best micro-module. Smallest one, if possible?

Thanks in advance.

(Note: I have earlier posted this in the wrong section. You may see duplicates so please ignore the other one and have requested it to be deleted.)

Originally posted by ferdies View Post
    [h=2]
    Question?
    1. Can micro-module be installed without the physical switch?
    2. Is having semi-"switchless" house a good plan?
    3. What is the best micro-module. Smallest one, if possible?
    1. Yes, it will work.
    2. IMO, no. If your HA system is offline for any reason, you'll have no lighting controls. And you'll have to open the box to get to the button should you need to put the device into inclusion mode, etc. Perhaps most important, for safety's sake I'm a fan of having a visual, positive, air-gapped switch. You should also verify whether it would meet building code.
    3. I've only used Aoetec to date, and they're the older Micro G2 model. No complaints but can't comment on any current models.
    -Wade

Comment

The number one drawback in my opinion of having no switches is that visitors will not know how to turn on the lights.

It would also be complicated to have all the motion sensor activation tailored to all the different scenarios of when you would want to activate lights. Example, do you want the lights to turn on in the middle of the night if you get up for a glass of water? Maybe not. If they did not turn on at night but you needed to turn them on for some reason you can't since there are no switches.

I don't think that it is a cleaner look to have blank face plates covering the spots where there are no switches. A blank plate on the wall looks less clean to me than a switch.

If you ever want to sell the new owners might not like having no switches.

Comment

Originally posted by ferdies View Post
        Is having semi-"switchless" house a good plan?
        NO.
        If the only way to manually control a light was from an "app", the invention of the light switch, conveniently placed on the wall near the entrance to a room would be hailed as a stunningly useful improvement, and if it were patented, its inventor would probably make a fortune.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
        X