Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Set light to 100 percent but not turn on light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set light to 100 percent but not turn on light?

How do I set a lights setting to 100% with an event without triggering the light to turn on?

For example, at night I have some scenes that turn lights on to a low value if you get up to use the bathroom, etc. The next day, the lightswitch turns those lights to that low value unless you manually hold the light up part of the switch.

After a scene runs, I'd like to return the value of the light to 100 so when we use the switches in the morning, they default to 100%.

It will likely depend on the specifics of the switch, but one approach you can try is to use an immediate script command to set the value of the HS device for the switch to 100.
    &hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(nnnn, 100, False)
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      It will likely depend on the specifics of the switch, but one approach you can try is to use an immediate script command to set the value of the HS device for the switch to 100.
      I haven’t done any scripting yet, but I figured this might be the answer. I’ll give it a try.

Comment

Can you create separate events that apply the desired % of light based on the time of the day?

Comment

Originally posted by lodi View Post
          Can you create separate events that apply the desired % of light based on the time of the day?
          When I was using Vera, I did that. I had a command that turned the affected lights to 100% then immediately turned them all off. I had it set to run at 7AM every morning.

My my wife didn’t like it.

I think I need to just run a script that changes the last state of the switch to 100% with actually activating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Schly View Post

When I was using Vera, I did that. I had a command that turned the affected lights to 100% then immediately turned them all off. I had it set to run at 7AM every morning.

My my wife didn’t like it.

I think I need to just run a script that changes the last state of the switch to 100% with actually activating it.
            I don't think you can change the state of a z-wave switch without activating it, but if you use the Easy Trigger plugin, I think I have a solution for you.

This is only for Z-wave dimmers that support the "Central Scene" command. You want to set up an event that if the switch is pressed once (Central Scene Value 1000), you turn the Z--wave light on to 99% (odd fact: Z-wave dimmers go from 0 - 99%, not 0 - 100%). Also realize that in HomeSeer, the "Central Scene" device always has a reference value that is "1" less than the dimmer itself.

Create a group including all of the "Central Scene" devices for the bulbs you want to control (i.e., those you want to set to 100% during the day).

Now you need an event.

You'll use the Easy Trigger "If any devices value in this group had its value set" command to detect setting of any of those central scene devices. When one is set, the global variable "ETDeviceRef" gets set with the Central Scene device's reference number. The corresponding dimmer will be that reference value + 1. Note: The following script code, shown below, is what gets the value of the central scene device and increments it by +1:

hs.CAPIGetSingleControl( hs.GetVar("etdeviceref") + 1

You can then use a "CAPIControlHandler" command to set the dim value. I think what I've shown in the screen shot below is correct (though I haven't tested it). Once you get this running, you can duplicate the event and set other time of day conditions (e.g., at night, you might want to dim to 10%). Hopefully this will work for you. Good luck.

PS - This is useful if you have a large # of devices that you want to apply this technique to, but CAPI commands can be very tricky to debug..
            If you just have a few bulbs, I'd use "traditional" simple events that look for a setting of the Central Scene device and then just command the bulb to 99%.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dim to 100.PNG Views:	0 Size:	225.6 KB ID:	1319467

Comment

I think if its a Z-Wave device, that won't work and you have to use a CAPI Command.
              if you use just the immediate script command as you've suggested, the HomeSeer interface will show the device chaning and getting set to the new value, but the actual z-Wave command doesn't get sent.

Comment

Originally posted by jvm View Post

I think if its a Z-Wave device, that won't work and you have to use a CAPI Command.
                if you use just the immediate script command as you've suggested, the HomeSeer interface will show the device chaning and getting set to the new value, but the actual z-Wave command doesn't get sent.
                I thought that was the intent. What am I missing?

How do I set a lights setting to 100% with an event without triggering the light to turn on?
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Not missing anything. That’s exactly what I want. Just change the value, not turn on the light.

Comment

I thought what the original poster Schly wanted was a command that would get sent to the dimmer so the dimmer was "ready" to go to a set value when the paddle was tapped, but without actually turning on just yet. Kind of like saying "Dimmer, get ready to be set to 75% when the paddle is tapped" and then the next time the paddle was tapped, the dimmer knows to go to 75% regardless of what its last "on" value was.

I believe what you've set out will not actually send anything to the dimmer -- it will just cause the HomeSeer web interface to appear as if the dimmer was set to a value and that the dimmer is now on (but it won't be) and nothing is actually sent to the dimmer to "ready" it to go to a particular value on the next paddle tap. Then, the next time the dimmer is polled (if you have polling on for the device), the HomeSeer interface will then "correct" itself and return to whatever the real setting is on the dimmer. If you want an actual Z-Wave command to be sent, it has to be done by CAPI. At least that's my understanding - I'm pretty sure I"m correct, but you could experiment a bit to test this out.

Also, this is Z-Wave specific advice. I'm not sure its the same if a different type of lighting is used.

There's some more info. on CAPI in this thread: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...idiots-like-me . I find it quite confusing myself and had to turn to others for help even for the simple scripts I do use.

Comment

Maybe this can helps http://www.tenholder.net/tenWare2/te...d/default.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by jvm View Post
                        I thought what the original poster Schly wanted was a command that would get sent to the dimmer so the dimmer was "ready" to go to a set value when the paddle was tapped, but without actually turning on just yet.
                        I'm not sure this is possible with any device.

I believe what you've set out will not actually send anything to the dimmer -- it will just cause the HomeSeer web interface to appear as if the dimmer was set to a value and that the dimmer is now on (but it won't be) and nothing is actually sent to the dimmer to "ready" it to go to a particular value on the next paddle tap. Then, the next time the dimmer is polled (if you have polling on for the device), the HomeSeer interface will then "correct" itself and return to whatever the real setting is on the dimmer.
                        That is what I expect as well. That's why I qualified my response with "It will likely depend on the specifics of the switch..." and suggested it as something to try to see if it accomplished what he wanted.

If you want an actual Z-Wave command to be sent, it has to be done by CAPI.
                        I agree, but that will turn the lamp on, which is not what the OP wanted.

Comment

Not missing anything. That’s exactly what I want. Just change the value, not turn on the light.
                          So, does setting the device value result in the behavior you were looking for?

Comment

So, does setting the device value result in the behavior you were looking for?
                            I won't be able to sit down and work on this until the weekend, unfortunately.

Comment

If it matters, these are Eaton RF9540-NAW ASPIRE Single-Pole Multi-Location Master Dimmer Light Switches.

Comment

Working...
                              X