No announcement yet.

Not expensive programmable wall touch/button panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully Kiosk : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md8ToWPt4Dw May need some work before it can be integrated into HomeSeer and for US switches only.

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1412335 Need some simetric adjustments and few links to other pages for security and sprinkler details.

Comment

Can I ask a question about what the use case is for having keypads on the walls? The problem with all these, both cheap and expensive is they rapidly become obsolete, and the quality of the experience depends a lot on the customization of the UI, etc...

Given that voice controls are now pretty reliable, and that everyone carries their own keypad around with them (mobile phones), is it really a worth it to put up all this "wall acne" in a home? I mean, it can look nice if done well, but how many times would you really use it or walk over to it to check status on something as opposed to pulling out your phone? I'm not just talking about HS functionality, but I wouldn't do a crestron or control 4 keypad either...

We built a brand new house recently, and I have Google homes in most rooms that give me great functionality with HS, and I command music and media playback almost exclusively by voice, and for complex things my phone's music or video app controls things by using Cast to either the speakers or a display of some sort. My wife loves the clean look on the walls.

thx
        mike

Comment

I'll take part of that:
          Voice is fine unless you need silence in an area. Sleeping infant? Or what about a deaf or mute visitor? Or setting your voice assistant to only recognize your voice for security reasons?

I can step to a wall unit faster than I can open an app on my phone. Especially when the phone is charging in the either room. And again, what about guests? Middle of the night, half asleep? No glasses?

I can go on. Point is, overriding automation with local control is a high priority for me.
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
            I'll take part of that:
            Voice is fine unless you need silence in an area. Sleeping infant? Or what about a deaf or mute visitor? Or setting your voice assistant to only recognize your voice for security reasons?

I can step to a wall unit faster than I can open an app on my phone. Especially when the phone is charging in the either room. And again, what about guests? Middle of the night, half asleep? No glasses?

I can go on. Point is, overriding automation with local control is a high priority for me.
            Thanks for the comment. I agree a screen is helpful at times. I have a Google hub next to my bed, and I use it as an alarm clock and control of the HVAC. So if my wife is sleeping, and I want to adjust the air, or turn off an alarm that is about to go off, I can silently reach over to the screen (whose brightness automatically adjusts to ambient light levels) and control things without a word. Actually, if it was a keypad or touchscreen on the wall, getting up would wake up my wife in that particular example.

The voice control works for guests too, though it doesn't know identity, which means they can't do certain things, but they can use it to adjust thermostats or play music etc... Voice controls aren't just for people who live there. These days many people are familiar with google or Alexa devices, and the systems can provide help so its fairly easy for guests to use these.

I guess what I am asking about specifically are screens that are on the wall and dedicated to automation. My Google hubs all have screens, but they are next to the bed or on a kitchen counter, my desk, etc.., and they act as voice control points as well. It's interesting to me that no one has built a Google home or Amazon echo into a flatscreen keypad like device for wall mounting, which says something about how the market for such devices is viewed by these companies.

The nice thing about counter top devices from Google and Amazon is that they can be easily line powered, and be close to the common point of use, and be upgraded every couple of years without having to drill new holes or patch old mounting holes, etc...

Thx
            mike

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoboy View Post

It's interesting to me that no one has built a Google home or Amazon echo into a flatscreen keypad like device for wall mounting, which says something about how the market for such devices is viewed by these companies.

The nice thing about counter top devices from Google and Amazon is that they can be easily line powered, and be close to the common point of use, and be upgraded every couple of years without having to drill new holes or patch old mounting holes, etc...

Thx
              mike
              Just as some people would prefer not to have cloud based (Not all) but embrace the less human input (fire and forget) automation it bares down to choice! Or on the point screens on the wall I bet you that in some cases it's not for the "Average Joe" and as for Google or Alexa depending on how you look at it. Their APIs can also be implemented in those "Screens" : https://www.evervue.co.uk/product/custom-size-mirrorvue/# (Not to mention that every time the topic is sidelined as soon as it's brought up! Not for the "Average Joe") Some people like getting their hands dirty, so to speak

And of course DAKBoard : https://dakboard.com/pricing#integrations-photos

Eman.
              TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Also, I can customize these options more than I can a Google hub. I have a hub and 5 speakers plus I'm adding aVa Assistant moduletmodule my Magic Mirror and it is nice but we do not use the hub's interface with the home automation system outside voice often. A remote unit or wall scene controller is easier for not voice interfacing.

I'm thinking one of the Pico remotes may replace my home made 4 button unit but need to find out how you set it up to communicate with HomeSeer.
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                1070 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                104 Events
                HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

what the use case is for having keypads on the walls? The problem with all these, both cheap and expensive is they rapidly become obsolete, and the quality of the experience depends a lot on the customization of the UI, etc...
                  I'm not talking about a "keypad" on the wall. That's the whole idea of the device I'm working on - it should replace normal switches, but the functionality of the buttons and labels will be configurable. So it's opposite to "rapidly become obsolete".

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

I'm not talking about a "keypad" on the wall. That's the whole idea of the device I'm working on - it should replace normal switches, but the functionality of the buttons and labels will be configurable. So it's opposite to "rapidly become obsolete".

Switches are a different thing. I use a lutron system that is tied into HS, but the switches are nice to have, esp when if HS runs into a problem. I like a system where essential functions can run in a non-automated mode as a failsafe, but can be fully integrated into automation for both status and control. As someone said recently, automation isn't about remote control, but integration of sensors and actions...

Comment

Switches are a different thing. I use a lutron system that is tied into HS, but the switches are nice to have, esp when if HS runs into a problem. I like a system where essential functions can run in a non-automated mode as a failsafe, but can be fully integrated into automation for both status and control. As someone said recently, automation isn't about remote control, but integration of sensors and actions...
                      Yeah, that's the idea - the switch should be self-contained (non-automated) - but HS will receive the events, will change the button labels (or/and icons) depending on scene.

Comment

Wink Relay, converted to MQTT, some threads on here about it

Comment

Originally posted by BeePee View Post
                          Wink Relay, converted to MQTT, some threads on here about it
                          Man, I'm talking about mass production - plug'n'play device. Why wants to bother with MQTT

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

Man, I'm talking about mass production - plug'n'play device. Why wants to bother with MQTT
                            We have CBus lighting and eDLTs (pictured in your original post) . Ironically MQTT is used to interface CBus with HS in both directions. It works very well and is reliable (see cgateweb on GitHub) . I have some 'virtual' CBus groups that are used to control zwave devices as well as triggering events/scenes etc. Basically CBus and MQTT achieve most of what you are asking for in your OP, as well as allowing HS to control our lighting, blinds, skylights, extraction fans and our heating system via CBus thermostats.

Marty
                            iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              I have bought cheap 7" android tablet and will attempt to replace 3 switches on the wall with tablet installed instead them.
                              Previous attempt worked fine, but tablet started acting up and touch screen was not responding. Will post pictures shortly.
                              Which tablet is this? I'm looking for something exactly like this that's "good enough". ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by kwolter View Post

Which tablet is this? I'm looking for something exactly like this that's "good enough". ;-)
                                Hi, it is from Amazon,
                                $74 android 10. I had few others tablets that I tried, but software version didn't work with HS.
                                Let me know if you need more info.
                                Best regards
                                Tim

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X