No announcement yet.

Will homeseer benefit from faster CPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will homeseer benefit from faster CPU?

I used to run Homeseer on the same system as BI which has an I7 6700 with 32gb of ram. I did not want to put all my eggs in one basket so I moved it to a BT3-Pro with an atom x5-Z8350 and 4gb of ram.

For the most part, if I don't mess with it, it'll skip along just fine. I do notice delays when doing motion trigger etc.. I remember when using the i7 machine it wasn't much better. Biggest thing for me is when I do need to log onto it to do any kind of maintenance Windows 10 is extremely slow and with any background activities, HS will also be slow.

I'm running PFSense on an HP T630 with a GX420CA and 16gb of ram. It has been a great little box for PFSense and using only 10 watts of power. Debating on if I should pick up another one or even a Dell Wyse for Homeseer. Anyone using these for HS3?

Here running HS3 Pro on an i3 (low powered) with 16 Gb of RAM in Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit with a 2Gb Oracle Windows 7E Virtual box and it's been well now for 4 years plus.

Recently updated HS3 Lite to running on a BeeLink BT3 X5-Z835 with 4 Gb of RAM in Ubuntu 18.04 with a 1 Gb Oracle Windows 7E virtual box and it is doing well.

Been running PFSense on a similiar Haswell mITX board with 6 Intel Gb NIC ports and 8 Gb of RAM and it too has done well for a few years now. Recently built a Quotom PFSense box which is smaller and lighter than Haswell mITX board PFSense. Might switch over to that box.

I like the small footprint of the HP T630 and it is similiar to a couple of Lenova Thinkcenters that I purchased a couple of years ago. I think it would make a nice computer for HS3 Pro. I have stayed away from Windows 10 to run Homeseer 3 Pro and recently been testing Windows 2016 which to me is much lighter than Windows 10.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

For most users, I think the answer is "No". Perhaps if you had many, many plugins. If you look at the Windows Task Manager, I suspect you will see that CPU usage is actually very light.

What I have found on my Windows system, however, is there can be a delay if the hard drive sleeps. You may get a better response if in the Windows Power Options, Advanced Settings, you set "Turn Off Hard Drive" to "Never", disable USB selective suspend, and perhaps make adjustments to the processor minimum state setting. IF your system has a rotating drive, switching to a solid-state drive may give you better performance at lower cost.

Also, if you are starting HomeSeer from Windows Task Scheduler, then know that Task Scheduler, by default, assigns a low priority to the tasks it starts. You would have to manually edit the task to change to a "Normal" priority. Instructions for starting HomeSeer from Windows Task Scheduler are here: https://github.com/jvmahon/homebridge-homeseer/wiki/Automatically-Start-HomeSeer-and-Homebridge-at-Windows-Startup. If you scroll down about 2/3, you'll see text that explains how to set the task to "Normal" Priority (do a search for the word "Normal" on the page I just indicated).

Comment

Pete I like to stay with a Win PC since it's probalby the most common platform here. I don't want to miss out on any plugins either since not all of them run on a PI or Linux. I do have tons of events that could over lap each other. I can't explain why things are slow on my system since I'm only averaging 30% CPU and 50% memory usage. the BT LInk is a single purpose machine and does nothing but run HS3 and the harmony client. Below are my plugins. Don't know if the throttle is coming from HS3 itself or the machine. Simple thing such as loading the web interface is slow as well.

Z-Wave:,ImperiHome:,BLLAN:,BLOccupied:,BLShutdown:,DTSDeviceIm ages:,Pushover 3P:,BLBackup:,TasMQTT:,BLLock:,mcsMQTT:,Chromecast:,HSBuddy:

Comment

Ahh...understood

Here the BeeLink Pro is doing HS3 Lite (only 5 plugins), Home Assistant, Mosquitto and some MQTT Docker applications.

Today added an Amazon Alexa Show skill proxy for watching my IP cameras. "Alexa show camera 1"...similiar to show "Front door" Ring doorbell.

Much of the lighting automation is being done by my Leviton Omni Pro 2 combo panel.

Yeah I do not think a faster computer will speed up your Homeseer plugins.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Working...
          X