HomeSeer Needs Marketing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HomeSeer Needs Marketing!

In my morning news reading I see this thread over on the Hubitat forum.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/best...ption/19318/18

Hubitat being a "new" hub in the market they sure are good with marketing....

https://shop.luxproducts.com/product...19867033141321

Notice in the top feature highlights of the product page:

• Have full control of your heating and cooling from anywhere using the Hubitat Dashboards
    Come on macromark step up the marketing game!

Not to rub salt in old wounds, but the KONOz connects to ZigBee controllers only, so HS is out of the game on this one regardless of their marketing prowess. I still don't understand the decision by HS to totally turn their backs on ZigBee while others, such as Hubitat, totally embrace it. In my experience ZigBee is far superior to Z-Wave for battery powered devices for connectivity and reliability, and on par with Z-Wave for mains powered devices.

At the very least, for marketing purposes, HS should offer a choice of "Homeseer with Zigbee" package deals that bundle either the JowiHue plugin with deCONZ/Conbee, or the Hubitat plugin along with a Hubitat hub. I know deCONZ offers wholesale pricing, and I would imagine Hubitat does as well.

--Barry

Comment

While my z-wave network works great, I do see an appreciable increase in speed with Zigbee using the JowiHue plugin with deCONZ. I mean, my lights turn on so fast, I feel like I didn't even lift my finger off the mouse when I activate the device.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Isn’t it nice though that with homeseer you can integrate deconz, Hubitat, the zigbee msqt, and whatever else comes along? That’s sort of hard with most other things you can buy.

I currently have both Hubitat hub and new plugin, jowihue connected via Hue v2 hub, and a conbee to be added soon. The Hubitat is amazing for pico remotes with button controller. JowiHue is great for RGBW lights, animations, lighting notifications... conbee is not really required, but I bought it just before I heard about Hubitat. But I’ll still see if it has a killer app compared to the others.

I believe HSt did mention in another thread that they do plan on revamping native HS zigbee support since it is a huge difference with what’s included out of the box with competitors. But I really don’t see it changing much for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
        Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
        Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
          Isn’t it nice though that with homeseer you can integrate deconz, Hubitat, the zigbee msqt, and whatever else comes along? That’s sort of hard with most other things you can buy.

I currently have both Hubitat hub and new plugin, jowihue connected via Hue v2 hub, and a conbee to be added soon. The Hubitat is amazing for pico remotes with button controller. JowiHue is great for RGBW lights, animations, lighting notifications... conbee is not really required, but I bought it just before I heard about Hubitat. But I’ll still see if it has a killer app compared to the others.

I believe HSt did mention in another thread that they do plan on revamping native HS zigbee support since it is a huge difference with what’s included out of the box with competitors. But I really don’t see it changing much for me.

Yes, it is nice that the semi-open nature of Homeseer allows independent plugin developers the ability to integrate other platforms. Until very recently, we've always been at the mercy of HS to add compatibility with new Z-Wave devices as they were released. The Hubitat plugin has now given another path as an option for Z-Wave device inclusion, which is nice to have when needed (Mimo2 for example).

I don't think you'll find anything about Phoscon (the deCONZ app) to be killer. It's more barebones and mostly used to include devices to the Conbee. JowiHue is where the magic happens once the device is included to the deCONZ controller.

One downfall to having multiple controllers is the resulting multiple networks in the same spectrum within your home. Each network must have nodes that are reachable with one another and back to the controller, which means you'll need to add repeating devices to each network to keep them reliable. That's more expensive than having one large network.

ZigBee is much more tolerant to multiple networks than Z-Wave, as it allows you to specify different channels within the ZigBee spectrum to help avoid conflicts and congestion.

I currently have 14 ZigBee networks running (9 Hue bridges, 2 Conbee, Hubitat, SmartThings and LinkTap) and I have zero issues with conflicts, delays or dropped commands. Even when I have 5 of the Hue hubs synced and running in "Entertainment" mode (which allows up to 30 commands to be sent per second), I notice no noticeable slowdown. Everything ZigBee just works and works reliably.

On the other hand, I have 9 Z-Wave networks (7 Z-Nets, Hubitat and SmartThings) and have occasional issues with dropped commands or device connectivity. Response time on the Z-Wave networks is perceptively slower than on the ZigBee networks. However, the Z-Wave network is more reliable now with the densely located Z-Nets than when I had fewer Z-Nets spaced farther apart.

--Barry

Comment

One thing I’m finding quite nice is the inclusion of Lutron for fan controllers and pico remotes. I have the Lutron pro bridge connected to Hubitat hub. I also have my Hue v2 hubs connected to both jowihue, and the Hubitat hub. On the Hubitat hub I use a button controller to use the Picos to control the Hue lights. It all works beautifully. I actually have z-wave nano switches behind the pico remotes to turn off hue loads if needed. Homeseer is primary controller and where I do all “automation” but those button controllers in Hubitat are so much easier to use than the ton of events/counters/timers which would be needed to duplicate them in homeseer.

At the same time, since the hue lights and Hubitat buttons are in both homeseer and Hubitat I can trigger off of states in homeseer to automate other things when a button is pushed or a light is turned on.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
            Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
            Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post

"Entertainment" mode (which allows up to 30 commands to be sent per second),
              That does sound pretty impressive.

Originally posted by logman View Post

...14 ZigBee networks ... 9 Z-Wave networks
              Precisely how many acres does your home cover??

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post

That does sound pretty impressive.
                It's pretty neat if you are wanting to sync Hue lights to music. You are however limited to 10 bulbs per hub that can be part of an "Entertainment" group.

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
                Precisely how many acres does your home cover??
                Ha ha, well it is sizable but my Hue hub count is skewed somewhat because I have 5 hubs dedicated to the Man Cave, each with 10 lights joined to them. I use Light DJ Pro to sync them altogether (along with some Nanoleaf displays) to put on light shows that are synced to music. The music is controlled by an Apple TV device, which sends music videos to the TV and the sound through a Marantz receiver. It's incredible how fast the Hue bulbs can flash and change color. I'll try to post a video sometime.

--Barry

Comment

Working...
                X