Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Moving to a new House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to a new House

I am selling my ranch and moving into small colonial only about 1300 Sqft. The house was built in the 1930 and has several additions and remodels over the years.
    I am planing on starting from scratch with HS blow out what I was using for the ranch.. I will be running ESXI with windows 10 on a mac mini.
    The setup will be slightly different. In the ranch I had the mac mini in the center in of the house so good signal all around for zigbee and zwave.
    Now i will be mounting the Mac mini in the basement in network metal enclosure.

1. Can I just extend USB to the center of the basement and mount them to the ceiling?
    2. Should I get a usb extender and move it to the main floor? There would be no central location on the main floor since it is a open floor plan.

Am I over thinking all of this based on the size of the house?
    Thanks
    Mike

Z-wave requires neutrals. I would be surprised if you have neutral wires in all your switch boxes. Suggest you do some investigating before buying equipment.

In a prior home home built in 1949 I had neutrals and grounds run to every switch box and grounds to every outlet by drilling a hole in the top of the drywall coming down from the attic and then fishing down. Pain in the butt.
    Michael

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.470 | 849 devices | 349 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave 3.0.1.243 | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris | AirPlaySpeak

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
      Z-wave requires neutrals. I would be surprised if you have neutral wires in all your switch boxes. Suggest you do some investigating before buying equipment.

In a prior home home built in 1949 I had neutrals and grounds run to every switch box and grounds to every outlet by drilling a hole in the top of the drywall coming down from the attic and then fishing down. Pain in the butt.
      Mike
      the house was remodeled in 2010 with updated electrical. I have neutral 😁. I am having the house painted so I pulled all the covers. I'm good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by themlruts View Post

Mike
        the house was remodeled in 2010 with updated electrical. I have neutral 😁. I am having the house painted so I pulled all the covers. I'm good to go.
        Thinking ahead! Congratulations!
        Michael

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.470 | 849 devices | 349 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave 3.0.1.243 | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris | AirPlaySpeak

Comment

Working...
        X