Moving to a new House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to a new House

I am selling my ranch and moving into small colonial only about 1300 Sqft. The house was built in the 1930 and has several additions and remodels over the years.
    I am planing on starting from scratch with HS blow out what I was using for the ranch.. I will be running ESXI with windows 10 on a mac mini.
    The setup will be slightly different. In the ranch I had the mac mini in the center in of the house so good signal all around for zigbee and zwave.
    Now i will be mounting the Mac mini in the basement in network metal enclosure.

1. Can I just extend USB to the center of the basement and mount them to the ceiling?
    2. Should I get a usb extender and move it to the main floor? There would be no central location on the main floor since it is a open floor plan.

Am I over thinking all of this based on the size of the house?
    Thanks
    Mike

Z-wave requires neutrals. I would be surprised if you have neutral wires in all your switch boxes. Suggest you do some investigating before buying equipment.

In a prior home home built in 1949 I had neutrals and grounds run to every switch box and grounds to every outlet by drilling a hole in the top of the drywall coming down from the attic and then fishing down. Pain in the butt.
    Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
      Z-wave requires neutrals. I would be surprised if you have neutral wires in all your switch boxes. Suggest you do some investigating before buying equipment.

In a prior home home built in 1949 I had neutrals and grounds run to every switch box and grounds to every outlet by drilling a hole in the top of the drywall coming down from the attic and then fishing down. Pain in the butt.
      Mike
      the house was remodeled in 2010 with updated electrical. I have neutral 😁. I am having the house painted so I pulled all the covers. I'm good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by themlruts View Post

Mike
        the house was remodeled in 2010 with updated electrical. I have neutral 😁. I am having the house painted so I pulled all the covers. I'm good to go.
        Thinking ahead! Congratulations!
        Michael

Comment

Working...
        X