Smoker Control / Temperature Monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker Control / Temperature Monitoring

I'm looking to purchase a smoker and would like to get one that can be integrated into HomeSeer. Monitoring is first priority. Control would be a nice bonus.

Forum searches have turned up a number of dead ends. Looking at a few options:
    • Green Mountain Grills - local wifi control. Cloud based option for remote control. Found this security bulletin about port access, username/password, etc. https://www.secplicity.org/2019/05/3...rity-analysis/ Does this look like a plugin would be easy to build?
    • Big Green Egg - https://biggreenegg.com/product/egg-genius/ - looks like this uses cloud control. One of the biggest brands on the market. Can't seem to find any documentation on an API but is anyone aware of any plugins or control workarounds?
    • Smartfire - https://smartfirebbq.com - not too much info out there but this can be installed on a number of different smokers.
    Does anyone have any setup currently working or do any of these options look relatively easy to build a plugin for?

The only one I know for sure is the new Yoder s models with the FireBoard controllers. Alternatively you could get any charcoal grill (bge, Weber summit, Smokey mountain, or any of a number of cabinet smokers) and use the FireBoard atc.

But for pellet grill it only the Yoder s models like ys640s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

The Maverick ET732 & ET733 are supported by the RFXCOM plug-in with the RFXtrx433XL transceiver
      https://www.maverickthermometers.com/product/et-733/

See chapter 6.19 at http://www.rfxcom.com/WebRoot/StoreN...User_Guide.pdf

Comment

Here we use a Camp Chef SmokePro DLX pellet stove that we got about a year ago. It is pretty much set and forget other than to spritz when things look dry. Also have a bluetooth enabled meat thermometer with 4 probes. One always on for temp at grill level. Others for meats such as pork shoulders. When I set the grill for 225 Hi Smoke, it does it. Five hours later, ribs are done. Usually 8 to 10 for shoulders. Bring internal up to 160, wrap, done at 205.

I haven't found a use case where any sort of integration with HS3 would be useful but certainly open to ideas. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

There is a Fireboard plugin ( https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...lex-technology ) but currently it does not work with the drive portion, Just the temp sensor side. I have a blazn gridiron with the comp shelves. I set 2 probes at grate level for monitoring and use the other 4 for meat if i want to do so. Cooking is done on the shelves. Here is a link to how I use them in HS. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...-the-fireboard

I also have a gmg db and a gmg dc. Barely use them anymore due to the space in the gridiron. With them all being wireless and monitoring the temp at grate level, an alert that goes off, can allow me to adjust the grill temp via the grills wifi interface.

edit: Setting up alerts in fireboard can also send you alerts if you have the session open on a phone. With the grills also being "cloud", I can comfortably run to the store during a cook and know that if there is an issue of temp being to low/high I can make adjustments and get back home.

Comment

Originally posted by keithj69 View Post
            There is a Fireboard plugin ( https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...lex-technology ) but currently it does not work with the drive portion, Just the temp sensor side.
            I thought that he added the drive portion? I remember he had ordered the hardware in order to add it. Honestly the fireboard app and cloud are very good and the plugin could be setup to do some interesting things after a session is started. I would have like to see it be more automated so that it’s not required to make or edit events every session. The last thing I want to do when bbqing is go troubleshoot HS events. But even so it was a solid plugin when I tested it.

Plus have you looked at the new Yoder controllers? Looks amazing.

FYI, I am on a rather modest smoker compared to the Yoders. Currently it’s the fireboard drive controlling a char griller Akorn Kamodo. Works well and is mostly set and forget until the fireboard app alerts me. It does take some skill initially to setup and get the smoke just right, and the burn just right. At least the fireboard makes it super easy to maintain temperatures.

Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post

I thought that he added the drive portion? I remember he had ordered the hardware in order to add it. Honestly the fireboard app and cloud are very good and the plugin could be setup to do some interesting things after a session is started. I would have like to see it be more automated so that it’s not required to make or edit events every session. The last thing I want to do when bbqing is go troubleshoot HS events. But even so it was a solid plugin when I tested it.

FYI, I am on a rather modest smoker compared to the Yoders. Currently it’s the fireboard drive controlling a char griller Akorn Kamodo. Works well and is mostly set and forget until the fireboard app alerts me. It does take some skill initially to setup and get the smoke just right, and the burn just right. At least the fireboard makes it super easy to maintain temperatures.

I did get a Drive.... they never delivered on the API for Drive so I couldn't do anything with it. I checked again a couple weeks ago and still no Drive API.

Comment

I can honestly say that John does not have the experience to make profiles with the plugin. (sorry John) He literally used my account to develop the plugin. With that said, why not set up profile specific events that caters to you? Take a look at what I posted, all you have to do is set your low/high temps and go. Keep events that you do not use disabled. Enable them as you need them. We all have our different temps we like to cook at depending on the meat/time allotted.

The plugin works great for what it is. It is up to you to set it according to your cook. It has not let me down yet. Even on overnight cooks.

FYI, If you are talking yoder charcoal vs an akorn charcoal than I cannot argue. And I too am a modest smoker. Blazn grill gridiron, gmg dc, gmg db, bge mini, weber kettle, mini kettle, 2 vertical propanes, marlboro ultra lights, had an akorn jr, and I lost count. I got tired of charcoal/wood/propane long cooks along time ago. Except I do want to look at some of the fancy gravity feed cookers, or a rectec bfg.

Comment

What profiles? FireBoard profiles? Smoking profiles? Nope... not done that

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post
                    What profiles? FireBoard profiles? Smoking profiles? Nope... not done that
                    I'm guessing smoking profiles, and even that is very subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post

I did get a Drive.... they never delivered on the API for Drive so I couldn't do anything with it. I checked again a couple weeks ago and still no Drive API.
                      That’s too bad. This is actually where it kinda gets useful to have homeseer. Their app is pretty good, but the drive programs are a little limited in how complicated they can be.

Comment

I can honestly say that John does not have the experience to make profiles with the plugin. (sorry John) He literally used my account to develop the plugin.
                        This was an early plugin. He’s on a roll now with a bunch of useful and increasingly more advanced plugins. One of the most active devs on the board now.
                        With that said, why not set up profile specific events that caters to you? Take a look at what I posted, all you have to do is set your low/high temps and go. Keep events that you do not use disabled. Enable them as you need them. We all have our different temps we like to cook at depending on the meat/time allotted.

The plugin works great for what it is. It is up to you to set it according to your cook. It has not let me down yet. Even on overnight cooks.

I’ll take a look.

FYI, If you are talking yoder charcoal vs an akorn charcoal than I cannot argue. And I too am a modest smoker. Blazn grill gridiron, gmg dc, gmg db, bge mini, weber kettle, mini kettle, 2 vertical propanes, marlboro ultra lights, had an akorn jr, and I lost count. I got tired of charcoal/wood/propane long cooks along time ago. Except I do want to look at some of the fancy gravity feed cookers, or a rectec bfg.
                        I’m talking Yoder pellet grills. Surprised you are not familiar since the gridiron is an excellent knockoff of them.

I’ve had rectec, Memphis, gridIron, and Yoder pellet grills on my wishlist over the years and I keep getting socks for Father’s Day.

Comment

This was an early plugin. He’s on a roll now with a bunch of useful and increasingly more advanced plugins. One of the most active devs on the board now.

I’ll take a look.

I’m talking Yoder pellet grills. Surprised you are not familiar since the gridiron is an excellent knockoff of them.

I’ve had rectec, Memphis, gridIron, and Yoder pellet grills on my wishlist over the years and I keep getting socks for Father’s Day.

I was looking at the ys640 when I bought the gridiron. Wish I could have done a side by side comparison when i was looking. Probably would have gotten the yoder instead of the gridiron. Yoder also makes other grills so i wasn't sure if you were comparing a charcoal grill against a pellet grill.

Comment

reviving an old thread. hoping this one is the current as i did search.

I just got a smoker (goin cheap to see if we use it then eventually upgrade)

anything new lateley as the link to the Maverick ET732 that was posted is not good...

HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I use DS18B20 for various temperature monitoring including the exhaust of my wood burning fireplace. There are multiple ways to get 1-wire data into HS.

Comment

Working...
                              X