Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local Voice Control

from another thread.......
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
    Losing Alexa control for our house would be significant. I try to automate just about everything, but the reality is that sometimes manual control is needed. Voice control, not mobile phone, is paramount.
    Am I reading/processing this correctly? When did "Voice Control" fall into the same category as "Manual Control"? When voice control becomes local and 99.999% reliable such as a light switch then I can accept that category. As long as voice control is internet dependent it will never be reliable and as such should never be counted on. Is it a nice to have convenience? Absolutely. Is it a great convenience for those with disabilities? Absolutely! should one depend on it? Never!

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post

Am I reading/processing this correctly? When did "Voice Control" fall into the same category as "Manual Control"? When voice control becomes local and 99.999% reliable such as a light switch then I can accept that category. As long as voice control is internet dependent it will never be reliable and as such should never be counted on. Is it a nice to have convenience? Absolutely. Is it a great convenience for those with disabilities? Absolutely! should one depend on it? Never!
      I would consider voice control very comparable to manual control.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Doesn't HomeSeer support full off-line voice control? It might not be as advanced in understanding the human voice as all the cloud based solutions, but the Microsoft speech-to-text should be totally local if you deny all the Cortana and other Azure based improvements that Microsoft offers (settings available under Privacy and Speech config).

Or did Microsoft sneak in an update I'm unaware of and that full off-line speech to text is no longer possible?

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
          ...Or did Microsoft sneak in an update I'm unaware of and that full off-line speech to text is no longer possible?
          How could something like that happen? A ginormous multi-billion dollar global company like (insert company name here) would never do that.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
            How could something like that happen? A ginormous multi-billion dollar global company like (insert company name here) would never do that.
            It is funny though, because Microsoft after getting slapped around by the EU a few years back is much better, especially because at the front on search-engines against Google, and mobile phones against iPhone/Android they are doing very well as the "underdogs". They were the only company smart enough to be upfront on what they do and their EULA states that 'humans' might listen to voice data samples submitted.

From a developer point of view it makes sense to me that AI stuff still requires human verification to ensure new code works. However, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, and Google all did the same human verification with a lot of non-developer reviews as well and they had no mention in their end-user agreements. That will get interesting in court cases that are happening at the moment.

I'm sure Microsoft will get swept up in that, but it stood out to me that they had it specifically stated in their agreements (not that anybody bothers to read them).

Comment

VoxCommando and Homeseer would be very powerful together
              it is locally processed !!
              i have been using it for a couple of years and with Kodi it is awesome but there is so much more it can do

a plugin for VoxCommando would be great i would buy it in a heart beat.
              my 2 cents
              Paul.

Comment

Guess I'm posting this here as the original thread seems to have been locked.

macromark, this recent certificate hiccup seems a good time to raise a request I've often thought about, which is modifying the Alexa Smart Home skill to allow connection via either MyHS or direct to your own system.

For those of us with a valid SSL cert signed by a trusted public CA, a domain name, and a correctly published reverse proxy, the HomeSeer mobile app can be directly connected with no need for MyHS to sit in the middle. My mobile experience was unaffected by the recent certificate problem as there is no dependence on HST services, communication is directly from the app to my own server.

I'd like to see the same option made possible in the Alexa skill. When performing the initial skill connection, one of the options to select would be "Via MyHS" or "Enter a https URL", followed by credentials.

This is an option for more advanced users but there's definitely no shortage of those in this community.

While not a completely local only solution like local voice control is, this would remove dependence on at least one cloud service (MyHS). And pushing back against cloud centralisation is one the core drives of this community, and one of my favourite features of HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by sirbooker View Post
                  VoxCommando and Homeseer would be very powerful together
                  it is locally processed !!
                  i have been using it for a couple of years and with Kodi it is awesome but there is so much more it can do

a plugin for VoxCommando would be great i would buy it in a heart beat.
                  my 2 cents
                  Paul.
                  I am with you on this. I would love a voxcommando plugin. I still use it but not as much as I did when I was using a vera.

Comment

Working...
                  X