IBlinds installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBlinds installation

I was a backer of this indigogo campaign a couple of years ago and purchased 10 sets of motor kit and solar add on. I received them this week and have installed 7 of them. They only tilt the slats, they do not raise or lower them.

From my experience I would modify their instructions. There was no need to charge for 8 hours before installation. I included the motor to HS3 and then I installed the kit while the blinds were on a bench. I found that I needed to glue the usb charger/aux button component to the inside head rail as well as the clip from underneath designed to hold the component. Finally, after reinstalling the blinds, I plugged the extra long usb charging cable into the usb charger and left for 8 hours.

I’m pleased with the overall install and functionality. So much so that I ordered four more kits during their grand opening sale.

Their website is myiblinds.com and I have no financial or other interest in them.

The red red arrows point to the clip and the usb charger/aux button component. The button allows for inclusion/exclusion and also auto calibration of the blinds. Nice since you don’t have to remove the blinds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	942997C8-7F90-4145-9D0A-89DB95CC865C.jpeg
Views:	762
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1323491

The solar panel from outside:

Click image for larger version

Name:	0D4A734D-C42D-4744-986A-C1BE3A6352A3.jpeg
Views:	606
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1323492
    Michael

This is great! Hoping we’ll see price reductions I’d go for $100 or less per blind max. Now just need a cheap roller shade and curtain solution..

Comment

Yea, $150 per window is a bit steep just to tilt the blinds. I'll stay with my discontinued add on tilters. I have to put batteries in these about every 4 months but these were only $15 a few years back.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
        I was a backer of this indigogo campaign a couple of years ago and purchased 10 sets of motor kit and solar add on. I received them this week and have installed 7 of them. They only tilt the slats, they do not raise or lower them.

From my experience I would modify their instructions. There was no need to charge for 8 hours before installation. I included the motor to HS3 and then I installed the kit while the blinds were on a bench. I found that I needed to glue the usb charger/aux button component to the inside head rail as well as the clip from underneath designed to hold the component. Finally, after reinstalling the blinds, I plugged the extra long usb charging cable into the usb charger and left for 8 hours.

I’m pleased with the overall install and functionality. So much so that I ordered four more kits during their grand opening sale.

Their website is myiblinds.com and I have no financial or other interest in them.

The red red arrows point to the clip and the usb charger/aux button component. The button allows for inclusion/exclusion and also auto calibration of the blinds. Nice since you don’t have to remove the blinds.
        I was also a backer and I'm glad I was. Had to wait for 2 years but with the campaign they end up cost less than $100.00 each for a 10 pack and so far I really like them. I didn't have to glue the charger/aux button component, the clip holds it in place quite well, but you do have to push it hard to snap it in.

Comment

I was a backer too, but only purchases a two-pack. I've been burnt on a couple of crowd funded blind controllers, so even thought I have 6 blinds, I didn't purchase more.

Both are installed and working well. One unit fought me a bit on inclusion, but after a couple of tries it finally included correctly. I didn't purchase the solar panel....so I'm curious how long the batteries will last. I currently have them opening 60% at sunrise, 50% at 4 pm and closing at sunset. I also created 3 Alexa Routines. An example of one is "Alexa, Open Blinds".

I'd like to buy 4 more....but the retail price, even with the grand opening sale for backers, was too steep for the value added.

I do wish they had (or add in the future) a local control to adjust the tilt at the blinds. My HA is mostly rock solid, except if my wife is home when I'm away for a few days.

-Forrest

Comment

I gambled and bought 10 with solar so the price was not bad. I did just buy 4 more and agree the retail price is steep.
            Michael

Comment

It is nice hope the price comes down a bit

Comment

I was also a backer for a single unit. The current high price feels a bit "bait and switch".

I have many windows I could do but I need to feel a bit less mislead before I pull the trigger. I wasn't willing to purchase a large number of units until there was more feedback on quality.

Comment

Originally posted by dumplingseggplant View Post
                  It is nice hope the price comes down a bit
                  Currently on sale for $100. I bought 10.

Comment

So I now have some iBlinds installed. The physical limitations of fitting the motors and other bits turned out to be the somewhat challenging issue. The z-wave control aspect works as expected.

$200 - $250 total for motorized tilt on bali wood horizontal blind is pretty cool.

Update: Seven installed and working

Comment

Santa delivered 7 sets of iBlinds for the Living Room & Dining Room and I found the physical install to be pretty straight forward.

The only real setup challenge was calibration - - the 5 blinds in the Living Room are tall (72") and wouldn't calibrate (even with the blinds raised a bit). After some trial & error, I discover a magic number of 16 - if I raised the blinds up until only about 16 " of blind was exposed, they calibrated.

I created several events to Open or Close the Blinds shortly after Sunrise & Sunset which work fine. However, the Routines I created for Alexa to Open/Close on Command are very slow to execute and often leave 1 or 2 of the blinds unaltered. Interesting as well is that the blinds don't respond in the same order that the commands are sent.

Any insight as to why the slow Alexa response will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, thanks to the forum contributors for the blind icons - the ON OFF with a light bulb just didn't look right.

Comment

Originally posted by rwenner View Post
                        Santa delivered 7 sets of iBlinds for the Living Room & Dining Room and I found the physical install to be pretty straight forward.

The only real setup challenge was calibration - - the 5 blinds in the Living Room are tall (72") and wouldn't calibrate (even with the blinds raised a bit). After some trial & error, I discover a magic number of 16 - if I raised the blinds up until only about 16 " of blind was exposed, they calibrated.

I created several events to Open or Close the Blinds shortly after Sunrise & Sunset which work fine. However, the Routines I created for Alexa to Open/Close on Command are very slow to execute and often leave 1 or 2 of the blinds unaltered. Interesting as well is that the blinds don't respond in the same order that the commands are sent.

Any insight as to why the slow Alexa response will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, thanks to the forum contributors for the blind icons - the ON OFF with a light bulb just didn't look right.
                        Have you looked at the log? I suspect it's a communication issue. Always on battery powered devices seem to be less flexible in routing. All of my blinds are within 20 feet of the hometroller, and I get delays sometimes. But I seldom get a blind that doesn't eventually respond to a command

Also,
                        https://support.myiblinds.com/interm...-connectivity/

Comment

I've addressed all of the recommendations in the "Connectivity" list and the problems have still persisted. I'm considering adding a "Z" mounted within a few feet of the blinds to control just the blinds.

Comment

Originally posted by rwenner View Post
                            I've addressed all of the recommendations in the "Connectivity" list and the problems have still persisted. I'm considering adding a "Z" mounted within a few feet of the blinds to control just the blinds.

How many neighbors do your iBlinds show? Mine show about a dozen z-wave plus neighbors. I usually control eight with one event. Have you tried introducing a "wait" in the event? You could also repeat the equence after a wait.

I do expect that zwave plus handles congestion better than older versions.

Comment

While it’s cool to have a room of blinds close (or open) at the same time, reality dictates that there should probably be a second delay between each closing. So, in our case the first blind closes and for the next 13 seconds the other blinds close (or open).
                              Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X