No announcement yet.

IBlinds installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've add a wait of 3 - 5 seconds and it still didn't improve. I sent a note iBlinds support who suggested I was on the right track and should try 15 seconds for the wait. That puts opening or closing the living room blinds well over a min. It didn't take me that long with a pull string. As for my neighbors, I don't have any (all direct). The best practices for (according to the forum post) Z-Wave + is not to optimize. My kitchen has 6 separate switches to turn on all the lights and with an Alexa Group does so on command in a couple of three seconds. If six commands aren't getting lost in the Que, why are 5 iBlinds?

Comment

Just to make it a little stranger: As part of my iBlinds install I added Evolve LTM5 switches adjacent to each set of iBlinds. If any of the Open/Close fail, I just press the switch and it works (the LTM5 are associated with the iBlinds). So if I use the LTM5 to Open or Close the iBlinds they work (within a second or two of one another). Go Figure

Comment

I wanted to be able to control at the blind also. It's the one feature I feel iblind is missing. I would have liked an option that still allow the tilt rod to adjust the blinds through a rotary encoder. Instead I'm using an inexpensive scene controller (GoControl WA00Z-1 Z-Wave Scene-Controller Wall Switch) that triggers some events. I haven't found the need to use associations and/or a linked device for any of my devices yet, but maybe this is a good application, although I'm not sure an association will work with a scene controller.

Comment

Oh I should have mentioned I have 6 iblind units in operation. They each operate the tilt on 2 in slat wood blinds that are 4 ft wide X 6 ft high. 2 are from the original Indiegogo campaign and 4 were purchase back in November. The 1st two were installed nearly 6 months ago. They run at least 3 times a day. I'm pleased to report the batteries are at 38% and 47% on the original charge. All 6 added to my smart stick easily and have been quite reliable. But occasionally I do get a random blind that misses a command. Along with time based events, I use Alexa Routines to trigger virtual devices that trigger events. Alexa Routines are handy when you what to use a phrase like "Open Blinds" rather than "Turn Blinds On". The only negative I've found to Routines is if you remove all your Alexa Smart Devices and then "Re" Discover them, the devices attached to the routines break.

Comment

I've got seven iBlinds (5 in living room & 2 in dining room). The blinds are 46" wide 72" tall. My problem is that the blinds do not consistently open or close on command (always communication errors). I simple wanted the blinds to open at 7:30 AM and close at sunset - not rocket science. At each event two or three of the blinds fail. The Blinds are within 20' of my SEL. I've tried a number of different event with different wait times. So every morning I get to login and open the blinds that failed earlier. Since the blnds are suppose to be Z-Wave + I had them configured with no hops (folks suggested I should optimize, I did with more than 60 neighbors - still the same problems). Friday one set of blinds went into calibration in the middle of the night, so I awoke to the overheated smell of the motor running and broke blind strings.

My experience so far:

iBlinds are extremely difficult to include/exclude (far worse than any of the 6 kwikset locks I have).
            iBlinds Z-Wave communications are very poor, resulting in the blinds frequently not responding.
            iBlinds are not well suited for use with HomeSeer (They configure as Lights and require a lot of individual configuration changes to look normal).
            iBlinds are not well suited for use with Amazon Echo (Again, poor configuration).
            iBlinds motors are very noisy.
            iBlinds motors do not correctly align with blind shafts (too low with just the motor; too high with the spacer added).
            IBlinds support has little to no experience with HomeSeer.

My plan:

Scrap the iBlinds.
            Install a single OEM automated blind system.

Comment

Right now, iBlinds is having a sale of sorts. About 15-20% off depending on how many you buy. I bought 6 yesterday afternoon and they showed up today, less than 24 hours later. Before taxes and shipping, mine came out to be $117 each. Not the cheapest they have ever been but better than $149!!! Charging them up for the install tomorrow. We'll see how good they are.

Comment

Anybody do anything special to make Alexa aware of these? They are not being discovered by our Alexa. She IS a bit slow, but she's special....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alexa Devices.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1358161

First I added the Voice Command in HomeSeer Devices and then loaded the HomeSeer Skill in my Amazon Alexa account and asked Alexa to "Discover Devices".
                  My iBlinds would intermittently fail if I queued multiple blinds at a time, so I created an Alexa "Routine" to OPEN/CLOSE the Living Room Blinds - - this allows all five blinds to open individually (one after another). So the center blind opens, followed 5 seconds later the far left blind, followed 5 seconds later the far right blind, and so on.

The default devices and status configuration wasn't to my liking so I ultimately ended up with:

Click image for larger version

Name:	iBlinds - Status Graphics 1.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1358162Click image for larger version

Name:	iBlinds - Status Graphics 2.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1358163

The default devices include both a "Switch" and "Multilevel Switch" Device which were always out of sync (only updated via polling) - - so I deleted the "Switch" and edited the "Multilevel Switch" to the above. As my significant other pointed out, I need to be able to flip the blinds to dust (thus the reverse tilt config).

Comment

I had to disable then reenable the HS skill before it recognized my blinds. I still have to say turn on and turn off, but other than that, these iBlinds are WONDERFUL! Super high WAF!!! She can close the blinds in the Master from the bathroom!

Comment

Originally posted by rwenner View Post
                      …. experience so far:

iBlinds are extremely difficult to include/exclude (far worse than any of the 6 kwikset locks I have).
                      iBlinds Z-Wave communications are very poor, resulting in the blinds frequently not responding.
                      iBlinds are not well suited for use with HomeSeer (They configure as Lights and require a lot of individual configuration changes to look normal).
                      iBlinds are not well suited for use with Amazon Echo (Again, poor configuration).
                      iBlinds motors are very noisy.
                      iBlinds motors do not correctly align with blind shafts (too low with just the motor; too high with the spacer added).
                      IBlinds support has little to no experience with HomeSeer.

My plan:

Scrap the iBlinds.
                      Install a single OEM automated blind system
                      Sorry you had these issues. I have had ZERO Z-Wave issues. They always work. Inclusion took about 2 minutes, but just one button push.

I agree that they require some configuration in HS once installed, but even for 6 blinds, it was not very long. Once done, its done.
                      I agree that Amazon Echo integration is not the smoothest, but it does work and there are ways to get around the "Turn on" vs "open" issue.
                      And I agree that they are noisy. HOWEVER, a friend has manufactured motorized blinds and, while they are a bit quieter, its not much AND they cost $300 more..... AND he had to get NEW blinds.

I found iBlinds support to be very knowledgeable and helpful. ….and friendly! They were a little slow pre-sale, but once I paid, they responded within 24 hours.

Again, sorry you had difficulties. I had a very different experience.

Rob

Comment

Any one else having to re calibrate them every so often? I have 10 blinds and this has only happen on a few but it has happened quite a few times. And is annoying.

Comment

My approach is not as neat as the one from rwenner. I created virtual devices such as Livingroom Blinds, Livingroom Side Blinds and Livingroom Back Blinds. We tell Alexa to open or close and the routine fires an event.
                          Michael

Comment

Originally posted by rwenner View Post
                            My iBlinds would intermittently fail if I queued multiple blinds at a time, so I created an Alexa "Routine" to OPEN/CLOSE the Living Room Blinds - - this allows all five blinds to open individually (one after another). So the center blind opens, followed 5 seconds later the far left blind, followed 5 seconds later the far right blind, and so on.
                            I created six manually triggered events with voice control for Alexa: 2 for each group of blinds, 1 to open, 1 to close; my groups are Kitchen Blinds (3 blinds), Bedroom Blind (1), and Living Room Blinds (2). Initially, I needed waits but now I do not and they almost always fire within a couple seconds but always within about 5 seconds.

I have two routines triggered by Everspring outside luminance: Dusk - Close All Blinds (which runs 3 manual events); and then Dawn - Open Main Level Blinds (which runs 2 manual events) and Dawn - Open Bedroom Blind Weekends (I tell Alexa to open Bedroom Blind on weekdays at my command).

The default devices include both a "Switch" and "Multilevel Switch" Device which were always out of sync (only updated via polling)
                            I have 12 status update routines triggered by the on/off and the multilevel value changes which polls the other node for update. I had to add wait (5-10 seconds) otherwise it seem to mess up if the motor was still operating &/or other blinds seemed to miss their queue. They stay synchronized now.

The default devices and status configuration wasn't to my liking so I ultimately ended up with:
                            I deleted the "Switch" and edited the "Multilevel Switch" to the above. As my significant other pointed out, I need to be able to flip the blinds to dust (thus the reverse tilt config).
                            Did you find this change messed with Alexa or no?

I have found that since last week Alexa no longer shows "Waiting for HomeSeer..." when going into a multilevel device.
                            The slider works now to dim the device although it does not stay put and pops back to 0% when done (the physical device does not change, just the slider in Alexa).

I had to rebuild my HS4 last week after a power outage. It required re-adding/rebuilding the Z-Wave nodes plus recreating virtual devices, editing events and all that fun stuff. Two of my window blinds (and my ZooZ dimmer) now have new status pairs:
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Blind 1 Status Graphics.PNG Views:	0 Size:	67.7 KB ID:	1385545
                            ...and interestingly enough, the 2 iBlinds and the ZooZ that re-added this way actually respond to the new commands.
                            HS4 Pro Edition 4.1.14.0 (Linux - Debian 10) running on Lenovo ThinkCenter
                            Plugins: Z-Wave, SDJHealth
                            Z-Wave via Nortek USB stick
                            HA 2021.3.4 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
                            Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, AdGuard Home, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, Home Assistant Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal , Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Z-Wave JS 2 MQTT
                            Integrations: AccuWeather, Adaptive Lighting, Alexa Media Player, Entity Controller, Glances, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Magic Areas, Mobile App, MQTT, Nest, OpenWeather, Ubiquiti UniFi, Zigbee
                            Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
                            Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
                            Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

I am thinking about adding two of the iblinds devices. What is the over all consensus of the product in use with HomeSeer?

Comment

13 blinds and no issues but I put mine on a Hubitat hub. I didn’t like the HS device as I could never get a battery child created so I decided to include them in HT with a community driver they had there and pulled them into HS with with the mcsHubitat plugin. I would have used HS but after many tries no battery which to me is important to be able to see. I created my events in HS and I use Google Home so I haven’t tried Alexa yet. If I want a bunch of them opened/closed at the same time I have a 3 second delay (wait) before the next blind. I set a virtual device for a group or all and create that device as a light so you can dim (0-100%) for the tilt. No fails yet but I have that HT hub located within 40’ of all the blinds. Since my system runs all other Zwave devices on Znets I expect that there will be a few as I really don’t have any Zwave repeaters on the HT Zwave mesh but we’ll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X