Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

4-Way Switches using HS-WD200+...Associations vs Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Way Switches using HS-WD200+...Associations vs Events

(I'm almost afraid to ask this question here since it seems to always get into a religious/philosophical discussion.)

I have three HS-WD-200 switches that are Scene switches. I want them to function as tightly coupled 4-way switches. The buttons, Central Scenes, and LED displays should all be synchronized. How do accomplish this is far from clear, even after reading threads for an hour.

Here are my questions:

1) Using HS "Linked Device" will the LED modes, flashing, colors, and normal mode be synchronized? Or, do the modes, colors, and flashing not link and must be done independently?

2) Do I link all three properties? (Status, Central Scene, and Multilevel) respectively? (Status: A->B->C->A; Central Scene: A->B->C->A; Multilevel: A->B->C->A) Or, do I just link the Status, etc? I assume that the Central Scene must be linked so that the values are replicated, unless events need to trigger individually off each and every switch.)

3) What prevents an infinite loop when linking A->B->C->A? That is, when the value of switch A is changed, that will send a message to B which sends a message to C which sends a message to A. How does A know not to send the message to B?

Like everything HomeSeer, once you know how its done it probably makes sense, but until you know it's unpredictable, obscure, and obtuse.

Your help and explanation on the 4-Way Switch problems would be appreciated; but let's try to not bog it down with philosophical discussions about how YOU prefer to do it and focus on how the system actually works. -Thanks!

The advantage of association over linked devices/events, is that association control will continue to operate even when the zwave network controller is not operational.

So should your HomeSeer server go down for any reason, or if you were to move house and leave the switches behind, the switches will still operate as a group.

I do not believe that synchronising central scene status was ever part of the design. What is your use case that you require the four switches to synchronise their central scene status?

Central scene is, as the name implies, intended to report status from the input device to a central scene controller, in this case HomeSeer. AFAIK the information is only intended to be acted on by the server/scene controller.

The LED colour and mode I believe is controlled by zwave parameters, which are a property of the root device and set by the controller. So I think events may be the only way to set these?

Comment

1) Having two separate HS computers to maintain was not within the stated design criteria of costing $~200 wish, and it is excessive maintenance and complexity.

2) It is a 4-way circuit, which means three (3) switches, not four.

3) The use case is three entrances, a switch for each. The LEDs and functionality should be identical on all three switches. I was hoping there was some simple, short, easy, reasonable way to have all three function together. But like everything else in HS, it seems to be unnecessarily complicated and a lot of work to set up. I was hoping (apparently incorrectly) that there was a straightforward way that the three switches could be kept in sync.

4) The hope was that the Central Scenes would synchronize so that the events wouldn't need too be created fort switch 1, and then be custom programmed for switch 2, and then be custom programmed for switch 3. I realize I can do a lot of OR IF logic, but it gets messy since there are perhaps a dozen events acting on this switch.

5) A problem that I have had in the past is that Switch 1 sends a message to HS which then updates the multilevel on switch 2 and 3. But the change in multilevel on switch 2 and 3 then triggers an event in HS which updated the other switches. You end up with an infinite loop.

Comment

Working...
      X