Accessing HS locally using DNS name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeattleDavid View Post
    3) No, I disagree that it is site specific. Nothing indicates that. What it seems to be is that they are not handling DNS/FQDN properly. I am learning that HomeSeer is primarily a "hacker" product and not really an "enterprise" product used widely ion commercial applications. Thus, most home users/hackers have probably not set up a proper network with routing and a local DNS forwarder to provide local name resolution (as all enterprises would do.)
    Hum. Well. What can I say. FQDN works on my set up at home. I know it's rather small as I only have 4 subnets, 60 ips, 3 1u servers, 2 nas, 16 vm's on ESXi, DNS, VPN, firewall, IDS/IPS, centralized syslog, network load balancer, and 4 public ssl certs.

But hey, what do I know. I give up.
    Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
    Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
    Number of Devices: 633
    Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.54.0: BLBackup
    2.0.40.0: BLLAN
    3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
    30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
    3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
    3.0.0.87: weatherXML
    3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

If the site is that big, then clearly there is a budget available to ensure mission critical 100% availability the way I have configured corporate servers, or at the least a proper backup system. Then any changes made anywhere would automatically be recovered during the restore. If you are rightly worried that hardware 15 years from now will be different than now or unavailable to replace, then that is where a VM environment comes into play, and HomeSeer works amazing within a VM. You can do it as-is on a VMWare ESXi environment that is capable of exposing the USB Z-Wave controller to the Guest OS, there is a hack available for Windows Hyper-V, or you can rely on an IP solution such as Z-Net.

Editing a hosts file is the simplest solution on all the tweaking I do on Windows Servers, but you seem to get bogged down in the details that a document has to be updated to reflect such a change is required.

Any other solution would require the same document change, even if it is a checkbox within HomeSeer that magically makes this work, so same amount of effort.

Good luck with winterization, as I'm still trying to enjoy the nice Ohio weather, but aware that sub-zero is around the corner for me.
      Regarding DisableLoopbackCheck, that is defined in method #2 @ http://web.archive.org/web/201603221...n-us/kb/896861

The respective KB article is no longer active at MSDN, because it is no longer an issue in IIS, but HomeSeer method I guess still does, but that is a hunch based on your responses, and without a few simple test edits, we will never know.

Comment

This residence has 11 managed POE rack switches (either 24 and 48 port), 21 access points, I don't know how many hundred IPs, spans six buildings, has Radius, 8 SSIDs, VPN access, and 12 isolated VLANS. HS has 678 devices and 209 events. We have two shelves full of printed local operating procedures for every conceivable contingency, and the technical layers of blueprints are 2~3 inches thick.

We can play the "mine is bigger than yours" game but without purpose. This single residence is large, and you, too have a large system. Were both past the "small home" level...beyond that it doesn't matter.

Are you saying that you CAN get this format to work from the HS machine itself:

http://<MachineName>.<SiteName>.com

That is, you are able to get a FQDN to work and not just a machine name as in http://MachineName? And, you can do it FROM the HS machine itself? (That is the component that isn't working here.)

Comment

Yes, full FQDN, both on self-signed SSL systems, and a real CA one via Comodo wildcard.

But I went simple hosts edit way on recommendation from Microsoft tech, and I am sure there are tons of other methods, but at that moment I did not care to explore others.

Comment

Working...
          X