Venstar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venstar

Looking to purchase new stats soon. Was thinking of going with ecobee, but the inherent status/polling delay does not seem ideal. The Nest situation is not great either. Venstar Colortouch T7900 seems like a good device, especially for its support of local API. Any plans to integrate these stats with HS? I'm actually surprised that there isn't a plugin already.

Anyone have experience with these thermostats? Good/bad?

Thanks,
    CJ

They work Great.
    There is a Vera PI, but they also work well as a standalone system or on WiFi.
    As you said, I'm surprised no one has done anything with these on Homeseer.

Comment

I have a few of these stats, they work great... the beauty of them is you can use their cloud-based app to control them directly and also still use the Local API.. the local API is really easy to use too.. I talk to them with PHP and also with the HVAC program I wrote .. (as old timers here know i built my Zoned / hybrid HVAC from the ground up years ago).. while I havent tried to write a plugin for them, they are really easy to talk to with cURL .. in vb.net built in mechanisms for httprequest can easily talk to these..
      -Christopher
      PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

I've just purchased a Venstar 7900 and installed it last weekend (6/13/2020). The 7900 is the 7850 with humidity sensing.

I was easily able to program API calls to adjust mode, set points, fan, and read status information. Right now, I have a stand-alone C# CLI program I wrote Saturday that reads status using the Venstar API and updates HS3 devices via the HS3 API every 5 minutes, and accepts immediate demands to change mode or set points. Not as elegant as a plug-in and I have triggers only because I created virtual devices for the T-stat settings for now, but it works.

I've started writing a plugin using C# based on the HSPI_BEAKERCSSAMPLE, and so far have the parent T-stat device, mode, and set points and inside temp status. That took all day Sunday and I have more controls to create and the ones I have don't do anything.

I've found about 4 places where people give examples of creating devices, and have had to translate to C#, but honestly the plug in development is so poorly documented, even in VB that writing a plug-in is an exercise in beating your head on the wall until you find what works.

I also want to intercept the calls coming from the cloud to put a message on the screen to see if I can implement that locally, but there is no documented local API call for that. I have a woodworking project and some yard work I have to get done when the temps are low, but will be hitting this plugin again as the summer weekends heat up.

Does anyone have a Venstar remote sensor running and enough API knowledge to send me the JSON that appears when more than one sensor is present? My guess is the array will just have another comma-delimited set of name/temp like "Space Temp" in the example below, but I'm not sure I want to go through wiring or buying a wireless sensor just to code the plugin to handle these properly.

Code:
        {
            "sensors": [
                {
                    "name": "Thermostat",
                    "temp": 73.0,
                    "hum": 37
                },
                {
                    "name": "Space Temp",
                    "temp": 73.0
                }
            ]
        }

Comment

Hi,
          This is the json returned when several sensors are connected:
          Code:
          {"sensors":[{"name":"Thermostat","temp":73.0,"hum":51},{"name":"Space Temp","temp":73.0},{"id":7,"name":"xtmp2","temp":96.0,"battery":100,"type":"Remote"},{"id":4,"name":"xtmp3","temp":73.0, "battery":100,"type":"Remote"}]}

Comment

Thanks, Mats2. Just what I needed.

Now I can see how they handle the additional parameters like battery, IDs, and type. I'm going to have to have some null handlers in the class definition because remote sensors have parameters not found on the t-stat alone, and the t-stat has humidity while the remote sensors don't.

I presume these are the wireless remotes since I see battery power. Are you happy with yours?

All,

Does anyone know if the wireless remote sensor returns the other types like the Outdoor, Return, and Supply where the word "Remote" appears in the json above? My guess is yes, but guessing doesn't make the program work right all the time. Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

The sensors are externally powered so the battery reading is always 100.

Other types Ids that I have are “Supply” And “Outdoor”.
              I have the older, a bit larger, Wifi Sensors (ACC-TSENWIFI) and they have been working great.

Comment

Working...
              X