Thoughts on Water flow sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Water flow sensors

Recently moved into a new house, and my insurance company recommended a water shut off valve that has flow/leak detection (without needing leak sensors).

Seems like a good investment, although much pricier than the HS version (with the cost of additional leak sensors). Of course, that wouldn't likely detect a leak in a wall, or a misfunctioning toilet, etc.

Have any of you looked at some of these (that were reco'd t me). Love your thoughts.

Phyn
    Pipe Capacity: Up to 1.25”

Flo by Moen
    Pipe Capacity: Up to 1.25”

FloLogic
    Pipe Capacity: Up to 2”

Leak Defense System
    Pipe Capacity: Up to 3”

Flo by Moen seems to have quite a good set of features for the price. A buddy of mine has recently recommended it to me in our new house that we're moving to soon. I will be selecting that one but wish it had HomeSeer integration.

Comment

Originally posted by bmsmithvb View Post
      Flo by Moen seems to have quite a good set of features for the price. A buddy of mine has recently recommended it to me in our new house that we're moving to soon. I will be selecting that one but wish it had HomeSeer integration.
      Is there an API for the Flo? Maybe one of the PI developers would have interest in integrating it with HS.....you never know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      HS3 3.0.0.548 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 996 Devices, 547 Events
      Plugin's:
      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

Actually, you don't want to detect a leak inside a wall. You want to avoid them happening altogether.

And a water flow sensor only shows that water is flowing, not if it's intentional or not.

If it's a modern house you should have 'pipe in pipe' construction and PEX tubing that should minimize the issue. And if not, I'd reccommend that you spend the money on that instead of water flow sensors.

Then you can later add leak detectors next to the most likely places for leaks to start.

That's my 2NOK opinion of the subject, anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Gadgetman! View Post
          That's my 2NOK opinion of the subject, anyway...
          That's a pretty strong opinion then I would have expected 2 øre...
          HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by Gadgetman! View Post
            If it's a modern house you should have 'pipe in pipe' construction and PEX tubing that should minimize the issue. And if not, I'd reccommend that you spend the money on that instead of water flow sensors.
            Umm, you’re basically saying “replumb your house”. Not very practical for most people.
            Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Originally posted by bmsmithvb View Post
              It does have IFTTT integration, so you might be able to do something along the lines of Flo -> IFTTT -> IFTTT Plugin -> HS. Not as clean as a straight PI would be, but at least there would be some communication.
              My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Maybe not, but depending on the age of the house it may even be necessary soon. Copper tubing has a finite lifespan after all.

Comment

Do any of these flow-sensors allow you to extract the flow-rate to keep track not just on leaks, but allow you to pre-calculate what water/sewage bill would be? There are months where I have high-usage, and almost no-usage the following month and better insight would allow me to balance that more, the same way I've done with electrical usage. Alternative is an Arduino with hall-sensor and tape that to the side of the city-water-meter, but I've got too many unfinished projects that I'd like to avoid adding another

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
                    Do any of these flow-sensors allow you to extract the flow-rate to keep track not just on leaks, but allow you to pre-calculate what water/sewage bill would be? There are months where I have high-usage, and almost no-usage the following month and better insight would allow me to balance that more, the same way I've done with electrical usage. Alternative is an Arduino with hall-sensor and tape that to the side of the city-water-meter, but I've got too many unfinished projects that I'd like to avoid adding another
                    I have a Flume sensor and it offers that data--flow rate is calculated from ~1 minute interval polling of the pulse reader. Actually, it's notion of detecting flow is calculation of a delta between any 2 polls which is less sophisticated than some that actually detect water movement. I suspect they all provide flow data since they're marketed in part for the type of efficiency analysis you're interested in, but I don't know for certain.

Flume has a public API but I don't have the skills to make use of it for integration into HS. Hoping someone might find the time and motivation one day...or I find the time and motivation to learn to do it myself.
                    -Wade

Comment

Fortrezz has a zwave water meter, and a cutoff valve as well.

Comment

Has anyone tried or played with the Phyn products?

They look amazing if the marketing material is anything to go by. Individual faucet monitoring using ultrasonic 'signatures' seems plausible. I wonder how accurate and reliable the system is. And I see they have Alexa and Google Home integration as well as IFTT. But no signs of any open API....yet.

Would love to hear from some current users.

M
                        iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

I know you said you don't want a project. but with what I think was simple programing, I setup an Arduino (NodeMCU) to read pulses from a simple flowmeter. It counts them and then using the great arduino plugin from Enigmatheater I send that to HS. I do the toalizing at the arduino and send a command to reset the total every monday morning. I have virtual devices in HS that store the most recent 6 week total and rely on the Device History plugin for overall trending. I have the NodeMCU programed to set a "flow" flag as long as there are pulses (i.e. flow)

Click image for larger version

Name:	H20 Status.png
Views:	367
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1352717

Click image for larger version

Name:	flow.png
Views:	331
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1352719
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Searider View Post
                            I know you said you don't want a project.
                            You had me at LCARS

Comment

I think it would best if you listen to your insurance company and install water flow sensors in your house. Also, depending on your budget you can go for the best vendor in the market.

--
                              Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X