Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to investigate parameters of devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to investigate parameters of devices?

I have a Yale door lock, YRL210-ZW-0BP, I know there are a number of settings (parameters) that can be set. Some are available on the Z-wave tab of the root device under the "Settings" section. Others need to be set in the "Set Configuration Parameters" section.

Yale is not being helpful in sending the information on the parameters.

Does anyone know a way to determine the parameters through HomeSeer?

Specifically I want to run an event that will change the "auto re-lock" setting.

Here is my system info if that helps:
    Current Date/Time: 9/8/2019 5:23:10 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerSELv2 3.16.0-031600-generic #201408031935 SMP Sun Aug 3 23:56:17 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 9 Days 5 Hours 37 Minutes 6 Seconds
    IP Address:
    Number of Devices: 155
    Number of Events: 36
    Available Threads: 199
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
    1.0.0.3: AK Smart Device
    3.1.0.16: MeiHarmonyHub
    3.0.7.0: SDJ-Health
    3.0.1.252: Z-Wave

This is a limitation of Homeseer.
    If you have access to a Vera then you can deduce the values by inputting (albeit slowly) the parameter into Configuration Settings and setting the data size to "monitor only"
    It's a slow process that I have had to use a couple of times, I queried the manufacturer as to why they didn't publish the extra Parameter Setting, the reason was that if they did then then device would need to be re-complianced by Z-Wave. phttttt
    One can only conclude that there are many unknown or un published Parameters to devices because of this requirement.
    If anyone knows of a way to do this in HS, then I'm all ears as well.

Comment

A google search provided parameter info for the Yale YRD156. Might be the same.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/15...56.html#manual

Click image for larger version

Name:	lock parms 1.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1325242

Comment

Another option is to not rely on the lock's function to auto-lock, but to add a door sensor to the respective door, and then configure a HomeSeer event that looks at an expired timer value and ensures the door is closed before locking the Z-Wave lock or sound an alarm sound (like a chime) if door is left open and restarts the timer to try again or chime again on a loop until somebody closes the door.

Most Z-Wave sirens offer programmable chime sounds that will not wake the neighbors

I'm relying on Schlage 30-second auto-lock myself at the moment, because I have not drilled a hole into the door yet for the recessed Z-Wave sensors I use, but often the Schlage locks itself with the door left wide open (taking longer than 30 seconds to carry in groceries, etc.)

Comment

You can find parameters using HS by pressing the Set button, but leaving the parameter field blank. The main issue is that you have no idea what the parameters are for, so without documentation, the exercise is futile.
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

^^^
            Thanks for that, is there a way to show multiple parameters rather than one at a time?

Comment

You could build a script to go through them all. Here's a code snippet that retrieves one value, so could be used inside of a loop:

Code:
              Dim Reply As String = ""
              Dim HomeID As String = "ABCDEFG"
              Dim NodeNumber As Byte = 3
              Dim ParameterNumber As Byte = 12
              Reply = hs.PluginFunction("Z-Wave", "", "Configuration_Get", {HomeID, NodeNumber, ParameterNumber})
              HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I don't have access to a Vera so that won't work for me.

I'll have to look up the YRD156 and see if the network module is the same, so far it looks like Yale only makes one Z-wave module so I would guess they are the same parameters.

I currently have magnetic door sensors and they don't always respond well to the doors opening and closing. I have tried Mono Price and HomeSeer brands. I have found the GE Jasco hinge pin door sensor works the best and have a couple more on the way. I did a test on my front door with both the magnetic and hinge pin sensors. I would say the hing pin always reported correct and the magnetic sensor was only about 60% accurate.

My backup plan was to setup events to lock and unlock the door and turn off the auto re-lock feature. I like the lock auto re-locking in the case that an event doesn't trigger for some reason.

If I get the parameters figured out I will report back what I find.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  You can find parameters using HS by pressing the Set button, but leaving the parameter field blank. The main issue is that you have no idea what the parameters are for, so without documentation, the exercise is futile.
                  Sorry for my late entry but I'm just now needing this. Leaving the parameter and values fields blank doesn't report anything back. Is there another way?

Comment

You have to actually set the parameter to blank and hit submit. Then do a hit the SET button. Yeah, really user friendly!

Comment

Here is the parameter list for the 156

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...s/3170/configs

Stuart

Comment

Working...
                      X