Looking for antivirus command-line scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for antivirus command-line scanner

I thought I hit you up to see if you know or could recommend a decent command-line anti-virus scanner I could use with my e-mail server. I used clamwin for years but it appears that now to scan an e-mail or file for that matter, it takes anywhere from 72-84 seconds... Yes, unbelievable... It takes this long since it needs to read the db signatures in for each scan and doing so also hogs a great deal of CPU
    This hasn't always been like this as I have logs of it taking 5-18 seconds per scan before. Doesn't appear that this is really maintained anymore - though, the sigs are still.
    Ideally, I'd like it to be able to create a report on each scan as clamwin does. Furthermore, I'd like to have control when the sigs are updated.

Tall order I know... but I thought I'd seek the experience from this knowledge base. BTW this is for Windows.

Thanks,
    Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

You run an email server on Windows? You're brave. But no I don't know of another free antivirus with CLI scanner.

Comment

Ha ha… yes but it is all written in Java.. and so runs within it's own jvm.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Since this is on Windows, you don't need to buy or download anything extra if you did not do a custom installation.

Microsoft bought GiANT, one of the top ranked AV companies at the time and renamed their product, called Microsoft Windows Defender at the moment and will be renamed again to Microsoft Defender for Windows 10 fall update build 1909, code-name 19H2.

Comes with a command-line method:
        Code:
        "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File "C:\Windows\write.exe"

Simply check on ERRORLEVEL as needed, 0 is clean or virus safely removed, 2 is virus that requires user attention. Additional options available, refer to help for more.

Should be lightning fast and is thread-safe in my experience.

Comment

Thanks RoChess That's exactly what I just did in the interim - didn't see anything on the ERRORLEVEL. I also added -SignatureUpdate so that the latest signature is used. Despite that, it still is fast as you mentioned. I'd like to be able to write a log file though I can't figure that part out.

EDIT: Looks like -SignatureUpdate just updates the signatures... Will need to remove that from the command line..

Comment

You could simply echo the output to a text file.

command > filename.txt writes to a file and creates it if the file does not exist, and overwrites existing files.
            command >> filename.txt appends to an existing file (and creates new one if needed).

Can even modify the output before it gets written, but then you get into the real nitty-gritty of CLi stuff, and PowerShell scripting might then be easier.

If you don't mind pulling a few hairs, I recommend SFK tool, http://stahlworks.com/dev/swiss-file-knife.html which is what I often use myself to add expression power, or I go full blown crazy with Regular Expressions

Comment

Working...
            X