X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimbo715
    replied
    Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
    Just thought of another positive to using category/location. It works really well with easytrigger dynamic groups.
    Do you prefer EasyTrigger groups vs a virtual device (setup through events). I've been playing with both but so far don't see a reason to use one over the other.

Leave a comment:

• logbuilder
    replied
    Just thought of another positive to using category/location. It works really well with easytrigger dynamic groups.

Leave a comment:

• sparkman
    replied
    +2. I found the default of floor relatively useless as I never really need to look at devices that way. I changed it a long time ago to Category.

Leave a comment:

• logbuilder
    replied
    +1 to @wadenut

Over the years, I have gravitated to the category/location convention. It just seems to match the ways that I usually need to access things.

Lets say I find something that doesn't work as I intended or a fringe case is discovered, it would typically be associated with a given location (ie. kitchen, great room, garage, outside). Then what type of devices am I going to be dealing with (ie. lights, motion sensors, timers). Using filters on the device page, I get just the devices that I need to see. Then I will normally sort by last update time depending on what I am doing.

Leave a comment:

• jimbo715
    replied
    Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    I use floor and room so I can filter by the room I'm working in. I also change the names and locations of the root and scene nodes so they match.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	hs.PNG Views:	26 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	1326459
    Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
    Since HS2 I've always named Floor and Room to Location and Category.
    Location might be a Room (Living Room, Kitchen, etc.) or it can be Network, System (for devices that change the way events are controlled: Home/Away/Vacation, Solar Source - Theoretical, Weather Station or other data source, etc), Weather Data, etc.
    Category includes Control, Status, Z-Wave Root (where I put parent Z-Wave devices that don't actually provide any control or status information), Lights, Appliances, Environment, Battery, etc.

This way if I only want to look at all the lights in the house for instance, I select Location = All and Category = Lights. If I need to see all appliances in the kitchen only, Location = Kitchen, Category = Appliances. If I want to look at all the battery status' in the house, I'd choose Location = All, Category = Battery.

How you define your devices is really up to you though. Set things up in the way that makes the most sense to you. Homeseer is very flexible in that regard.
    Thank you both! I think I'm going to try out Location and Category as I that makes sense to me once you start having a lot of nodes especially considering the main Device List page can group things by Node even if named something entirely different.

Leave a comment:

• Wadenut
    replied
    Since HS2 I've always named Floor and Room to Location and Category.
    Location might be a Room (Living Room, Kitchen, etc.) or it can be Network, System (for devices that change the way events are controlled: Home/Away/Vacation, Solar Source - Theoretical, Weather Station or other data source, etc), Weather Data, etc.
    Category includes Control, Status, Z-Wave Root (where I put parent Z-Wave devices that don't actually provide any control or status information), Lights, Appliances, Environment, Battery, etc.

This way if I only want to look at all the lights in the house for instance, I select Location = All and Category = Lights. If I need to see all appliances in the kitchen only, Location = Kitchen, Category = Appliances. If I want to look at all the battery status' in the house, I'd choose Location = All, Category = Battery.

How you define your devices is really up to you though. Set things up in the way that makes the most sense to you. Homeseer is very flexible in that regard.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    I use floor and room so I can filter by the room I'm working in. I also change the names and locations of the root and scene nodes so they match.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	hs.PNG
Views:	132
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1326459

Leave a comment:

• jimbo715
    started a topic Organizing All a Node's Devices

Organizing All a Node's Devices

Been using HomeSeer for a while now. What I've been doing is just organizing the devices that actually control a particular device from a user standpoint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 8.56.11 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	36.4 KB ID:	1326457

My thought was that when filtering it'd be nice for example to just see all "First Floor" devices that I can control and I just leave the other devices as-is. Is there a better way to manage a lot of nodes? Just wanting to see what others are doing.

Thanks!
Working...
X