Problems with Shuttle DS57U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Shuttle DS57U

I have been running HS3 on Shuttle DS57U since 2016. This mini PC looks like Hometroller S6 but I haven't checked whether they have the same hardware or not. The system has been very stable since 2016.

Last Friday I got a message that the CMOS battery is flat and the system was shutting down constantly. I managed to get a new battery and that seemed to solve the problems. During the weekend the PC shut down few times a day. I then checked the power options and disabled most of the power options so that it shouldn't switch off by itself. Yesterday the Shuttle shut down and when I tried to switch it on it resumed Win7 (32 bit) but soon it shut down again. So, for some reason Shuttle seems to switch off by itself (there is no light on the power LED) and when I press the power button, Shuttle wakes up and it resumes Win7 so it looks like it doesn't do the normal boot up.

Only mod I have recently done was upgrading of the SSD. I had Kingston 480GB SSD which I changed to Samsung 860EVO (1TB). I haven't had yet time to switch back to the old SSD but I guess this is the first thing to do.

The PC shop from where I bought the Shuttle went bust few years ago and I don't know whether we have Shuttle agent in Finland. I had another Shuttle ~7-8 years ago and that died during the warranty period. The PC shop sent it back to Shuttle in Germany. I just got the money back but they never told me what was the problem.

I'm wondering whether anyone else has had similar issues with Hometroller S6. If the SSD is not the issue how to continue the troubleshooting then?

No problems with the S6, running since late 2015. About two years ago I did have an early CMOS battery death. I saved the attached screenshot of the BIOS settings I used to get it going again.

Have you checked if there are any clues in the Windows Event Viewer as to what might be causing the shutdowns?

I recently swapped out the SSD as well. The original is a Transcend 32GB which I cloned to a 250GB Samsung 840EVO. The EVO's been around for several years but never got used for its intended purpose. No issues with the Transcend but figured moving to the newer, larger, unused disk was a good idea!
    Attached Files

Comment

Zwolfpack,

Thanks for the bios info. I'll have to check it today. I was too busy yesterday to get my previous HS server up and running so didn't have time to check the Shuttle.

Comment

Maybe the power supply is starting to fail. Swap it with a new one and see if that makes a difference.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

My S6 died with a no video problem. Looks like it powers up but nothing out either video port - not even basic CMOS info. Probably not related to your issue but the Shuttle devices do sometimes die in mysterious ways.

Comment

Hi Jari, one other thing to check for is bad capacitors on the mother board. I had a system a few years ago with similar symptoms as yours and it ended up being a bad capacitor. Check for bulging on the ends of any large electrolytic capacitors. If there are any with bulges, then that means they have failed or will be failing soon. It would be unusual for a 3-year old PC, but I have seen it before. I'd start with the power-supply, though as Pete suggested, as they tend to be one of the first things to fail.

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Hi guys, Thanks for the advise. I managed to find another power supply with same ratings as the original one so I'll try with that. I put the originaI SSD back. I checked the event viewer but nothing there. Capacitors could be one reason but I would be somewhat surprised if the capacitors are failing. Shuttle should be a computer for 24/7 use.

Comment

The suggestions made are good, and bad capacitors can lead to many unexpected results, but because everything was working fine before the CMOS battery going bad it could have an easier explanation.

When you replace CMOS battery after one has gone bad, it usually wipes all the BIOS settings as well or potentially corrupted them.

Do a BIOS factory reset, and then reconfigure all the options. Disable COM ports in BIOS if your mainboard doesn't have them, or you did not attach the extension cable to free up resources, and make sure all the other settings on SATA controller, network, etc. are all configured correct for your OS.

Might be as easy as LBA settings got adjusted which causes issues on large sized disks. Should only be a problem around 2TB drives, but combining new devices such as your Samsung SSD on an older SATA controller can get weird sometimes.

PS: Also unplug the case sleep button from mainboard, as i've had a switch get stuck once, and the moment the system would boot into OS it would immediately go into hybernation mode. Drove me insane in debugging, until I janked out all the non-essential cables out of anger and system worked good again.

Comment

I updated the BIOS to the newest one and I have now been running the box with the old SSD and new power supply overnight without any issues. HS3 is not running so I will start it later this afternoon just to see that it's not causing any problems. If it runs OK I will change the SSD.

Comment

Good news!!!

Here saw "exploding caps" on the last versions of Intel core duo boards...one of the 2-3 that I had running. I also had two early Intel core duo Shuttle computers quit on me a few years ago (15 or so). All of the "old" now Shuttle D525 nettops (2) were turned in to micro servers and continue to run. I did have the power brick go bad on the main HS3 pro computer (Haswell chipset with a pico psu) a few years ago. Updated PS brick has done well over the years.

- Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Now running HS3 (v497) on the Shuttle box. The box has been running ok since yesterday. If there are no issues I'll swap the SDD.

Comment

It seems that some posts in this topic disappeared into byte space. I tried to clone the old SSD using Samsung's software but for some reason it cloned only the C drive and not the D drive. There was a link to another cloning software in one of the posts that disappeared but the forum crashed when I was going to download it. I'm now using EaseUS Todo Backup which seems to clone both partitions.

Comment

I used Macrium Reflect to clone my S6: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

To expand to use a larger size: http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/h...nd_reorder.htm

Comment

Thanks zwolfpack. I'll check this.

Comment

Yup, some messages have gone to /dev/null

Weird though on your latest results as I've cloned multi partitions fine with Samsung software before, even when the drive contained a mixture of UEFI, Grub, Linux and Windows.

Sounds like you got it covered though.

Comment

Working...
                              X