How to know when i receive mail from the postman in an apartment box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to know when i receive mail from the postman in an apartment box

I tried with a tilt sensors... but this just says the postman has opened the big box.

Do someone knows , something i can put into the mailbox that would trigger only when I (we; me and my GF) receive mail?

Thanks.

I think this is going to be complicated !! lol

Signal is not an issue. I am at the basement floor, and i receive the zigbee signal perfectly. The mailbox is like 10 feet from my principal door entrance.

- one idea is to put a philips hue motion sensors on the inside top ( not sure If i can say this like that in English) of my mail box case. it sends every 10 seconds...and i could put some tape on one part of the sensors for it to only detec letters, and not the postman?

But that seems like i'll have weird results from this.

What about some sort of door sensor? Similar to the one HomeSeer sells https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...-window-sensor. I imagine you can find something similar that uses Zigbee.

Comment

Here is a picture of the mail box . Mine is one of these.

the postman do not open mailbox one by one to put mail in.

he unlocks all of them (he unlocks the panel entirely)

Attached Files

Comment

Initial thoughts, micro sail switchs (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/98) or a few mini pushbutton switches (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/97) sitting below a false bottom connected to a door/window sensor.
        Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
        Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
        Number of Devices: 633
        Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.54.0: BLBackup
        2.0.40.0: BLLAN
        3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
        30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
        3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
        3.0.0.87: weatherXML
        3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

One of these:

https://www.amazon.com/SENSING-RESISTOR-SQUARE-1oz-22LBS-SPACING/dp/B00B887DBC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B00B887DBC&qid=1569816616&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Click image for larger version

Name:	61HQXPnWa2L._SL1200_.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1329757

Hooked to one of these:

https://us.gearbest.com/home-smart-improvements/pp_668897.html

Name:	aqara-leak-sensor-base.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1329758

The pressure sensor reads from 1oz to 22lbs and has open/closed output to the 2 leads. If you wanted to, you could probably hide it under some lightweight felt lining. Or leave it exposed and tell the mailman what it is. The water sensor has a place to hook 2 wires on the back for open/closed signals and could be secured to either the side or top of the box.

Voila!

--Barry

Comment

The Radio Shack mailbox alert uses a light sensor so it knows when the mailbox door has been open. Pressure sensors depend upon weight on the bottom which may not be happening with folded email. The easier zigbee solution is a tilt/vibration sensor glued to the door. The xiaomi tillt sensor is cheap and works with jowHue and zigbee2mqtt. When the door is open the metal shield of the mailbox should be broken to allow RF pathway.

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post
              One of these:

https://www.amazon.com/SENSING-RESISTOR-SQUARE-1oz-22LBS-SPACING/dp/B00B887DBC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B00B887DBC&qid=1569816616&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Name:	61HQXPnWa2L._SL1200_.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1329757

Hooked to one of these:

https://us.gearbest.com/home-smart-improvements/pp_668897.html

Name:	aqara-leak-sensor-base.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1329758

The pressure sensor reads from 1oz to 22lbs and has open/closed output to the 2 leads. If you wanted to, you could probably hide it under some lightweight felt lining. Or leave it exposed and tell the mailman what it is. The water sensor has a place to hook 2 wires on the back for open/closed signals and could be secured to either the side or top of the box.

Voila!

--Barry
              I'Ll probably try this soon ! thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                The Radio Shack mailbox alert uses a light sensor so it knows when the mailbox door has been open. Pressure sensors depend upon weight on the bottom which may not be happening with folded email. The easier zigbee solution is a tilt/vibration sensor glued to the door. The xiaomi tillt sensor is cheap and works with jowHue and zigbee2mqtt. When the door is open the metal shield of the mailbox should be broken to allow RF pathway.
                th problem is that this will trigger my event every time the potman delivers letters... even when i have none

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                  I'Ll probably try this soon ! thanks !
                  There are pressure sensors available in lots of different configurations, and some can detect pressure all the way down to 1 gram. The one I linked to I have experience with and I know it works fine, but I imagine all the others work the same way and may be better suited for your application.

Good luck!

--Barry

Comment

yeah will take measure of the mailbox and see what i come with

Comment

Have you seen paper sensors in printers?
                      In some there's a long plastic finger that drops onto the paper, and if there's no paper it drops further down, into a slot in the tray.

Use fine piano wire and shape one end as a spring.
                      Fasten it on the back of the front, just underneath the slot, and let the end extend down, and back so that it touches the back wall.
                      Make certain the mount is insulated from the box...
                      As long as there's no mail in the box there will be almost no resistance when measuring between the metal of the box and the wire, but the moment a letter or something is dropped in, it will come between the wire and the back wall and you get a break.

Comment

Another solution is to place a simple doorbell type of switch and ask postal delivery person to push button when they add mail to your slot. That way it eliminates any junk mail or flyers not mailed via postal service (unless you can ask them to only pushing button on real mail).

PS: Worked for me, but your millage may vary depending on mood of delivery person

Comment

I tried several methods of detecting when the mailman drops mail in my mailbox. I spent several weekends trying all sorts of methods. The most reliable method (and the simplest) is to simply lay a motion sensor inside of the mailbox. It will trigger when the flap is opened (light enters the box) or a piece of mail falls on it or the banging of the mail box by the mailman. I chose the Aeotec Multisensor 6, of all the motion sensors that I have tried, that one is the best. The battery lasts about a year. At least 90% of the time it works. The 10% of the time when it doesn't work is when mail piles up. I travel a lot so by the end of the week, they may be a stack of mail on top of the sensor.
                          An event triggers when the sensor trips which does the following:
                          1. Plays the old AOL "you've got mail" sound.
                          2. On the 19" HSTouch screen on the wall, the 2 cameras with the best angles are displayed. (My wife loves this part).
                          3. I have 2 cameras that cover the mailbox from different angles so I wrote an autoit script to search the BlueIris folder for the latest video for both of those cameras, wait until BlueIris is finished creating them, reduce the file size and e-mail them to me. (I use this same technique when someone steps on my front, side or back door mats or rings the doorbell).
                          I am very satisfied with the performance.

- Robert

Comment

If I'm understanding correctly, OP's mailbox is this type so motion sensing won't work very well since the entire unit moves every time mail is delivered to any box.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	406
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1329797
                            -Wade

Comment

I think it would work well (as long a the sensor is with z-wave range) but you'd get notifications when the postman opens the box whether or not you got any mail. Better to get more notifications than less. It's worth a try since there is minimal effort. Many of us have spare motion sensors lying around so why not toss one in the box? Also, play with the sensitivity.

- Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X