No announcement yet.

How to know when i receive mail from the postman in an apartment box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a metal locking mailbox. I use the Dakota Alert UTDCR-4000 transmitter and receiver unit and I attached a magnet and switch (like the ones used on surface mount for alarm systems) on my mailbox. I ran a small (30 gauge wire) that is connected to the magnetic contacts and mounted the transmitter under the mailbox because I can't get an RF signal out from the metal box. The output from the Dakota receiver (relay contacts) is fed into an Arduino which is tied into my Homeseer system. When the mailbox is opened, the output of the Dakota alert triggers the Arduino and I have lights turn on in the house and Homeseer announces that the mail is here. I also use pushover plugin and I get alerts on my mobile device also. It would be easier if RFXCOM could decode the Dakota signals but it can't. This system works very well.

Ronnie

Comment

Back in my condo days I used a DS10A and part of two plastic rings that come in the collar of a new business shirt. I taped the plastic side by side and placed it in a U shape in the mailbox. I glued it on one side and used its naturally rigidity to keep it in place on the other side. It was about 10-12" long and made about a 3" high 3" deep "U" at the top of the mail box. The loose side had one lead from the DS10A. I attached the other lead to the mailbox where the plastic strip met it. It stayed in place fine. ANY piece of mail put into the box would trigger it by pushing the U out of the way breaking the connection. It would lie flat on the side it was attached. When I got the mail out, I would simply put it back into place up near the top. Easy. I used a DS10A, but anything that allows a dry contact would work. I originally used the DS10A with the magnet and reed switch. It worked, but occasionally the mail would get caught on the reed switch and the mailman would push harder to make the mail go in the box and it would occasionally detach the reed switch from the plastic strip. It worked out better to remove all that and keep the loose end of the plastic as flat as possible. There are a thousand different ways to bake an apple pie......

Comment

Working...
      X