WiFi extenders ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi extenders ???

So I recently moved into a new house (new to me), and I am trying to not run cat6 to every room and so on. Right now I have pretty good coverage and can stream 4K to all of the TV's. But for some reason my outdoor camera's push the limit and do really work correctly.

Does anyone know of extenders that work well for this application and getting cat6 to there locations would be quite the project.

-Skybolt

Is there coax available at these locations? If so, you could use a MoCA based extender which would utilize a MoCA network via the coax to the extender. Of course you would need either a MoCA dongle or a modem/router capable of creating the MoCA network. Otherwise there are wireless wifi extenders out there but I've never had much luck with them. But you may have better luck.

Comment

Have you considered mesh WiFi?
      https://www.cnet.com/reviews/google-wifi-review/
      https://www.cnet.com/reviews/netgear...system-review/

You could also run Cat6 to a more accessible location and add a WAP.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

skybolt are the cameras PoE? Because then they obviously will require a CAT cable to provide power. Otherwise any WiFi repeater would work, but you could consider using a cheap WiFi router that supports replaceable antennas and configure it as a bridge. That would even allow wired devices to plug into it and you could rely on high-gain dBa amplifying antennas to cover a large area from inside the house, but signals do not penetrate well through thick walls, especially when metals are mixed. If you don't have access to a nice Fluke AirCheck Wi-Fi Tester then an app on a mobile phone such as WiFi Analyzer on Android can be useful in figuring out best router/AP positioning and signal strength at different locations.

If the coverage is not enough you can always add more repeaters. Ubiquiti makes an awesome UniFi Dream Machine Beacon repeater that requires no Ethernet and just AC power, but it is early release, and would work better on compatible UniFi routers. They also make extremely powerful Access Points where one might cover your entire house if positioned well.

Comment

I had excellent results from an Asus router in access point mode, connected by cat 5 to another Asus router on another floor. But then we sold that house, and bought a property with two detached buildings and (at the time) no spare cat 5 between them. So, I tried the Asus AI Mesh, connecting two of their routers together (one doing the routing with typical wifi, the other acting essentially as a wifi repeater). I have to say, it has been excellent. The only issue I have is that it extends only the primary SSIDs at 2.4 and 5 Ghz. It does NOT extend guest networks, or an IOT SSID I had used before. That may lead me to go back to a wired access point now that we have buried some spare cat 6 between the buildings (when we installed a generator), but for just extending primary wifi I’ve been surprised at how well the Asus mesh has worked.
          Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

But for some reason my outdoor camera's push the limit and do really work correctly.

How are the outdoor cameras getting their power today?

It has been said never use WiFi for CCTV. That said the default MP cams now are at 8 MP and they are starting to utilize Gb interfaces versus 100Mb.

First time tinkering here with a WiFi video doorbell. It is 3MP and does 2.5 and 5 Ghz WiFi.

I had to update the power supply because it would draw more power doing multiple functions and multiple streaming.

I went with a Hikvision doorbell here and it is also an issue with the Ring Doorbell.

Recently just switched over from Ubiquiti to Ruckus for the wireless here and I am impressed. I do not though have many dependencies on WiFi here though.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Recently just switched over from Ubiquiti to Ruckus for the wireless here
              Hi Pete, can you elaborate on your reasoning and what Ubiquiti hardware you were using? Been 'patiently' waiting on the UniFi Dream Machine + UDM-Beacon combo to become available (even as riskier early release editions) to take care of all my wireless devices and then adding a bunch of USW-Mini switches for wired devices, possibly UDM-Pro for 10GbE SPF+. Just never heard of anyone switching away from Ubiquiti, so curious.

Comment

I will look as it was first generation Ubiquiti ceiling WAPs moving from outdoor Ubiquiti WAPs (inside of the house). So it was old stuff. Will look at my discard automation box.

Never much depended on wireless here. Now playing with modded WiFi MQTT stuff. Did upgrade wiring here from cat5e to cat6 (real PITA).

I am getting behind in updating the network technology in the house (age thing?).

- Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yeah it is tough to do the right thing when WiFi is being used. It seems that every house is vastly different in it's use all the while needing the same thing, WiFi. My big problem is there are vaulted ceilings every where and the 2nd floor doesn't have an attic and the router is in a 2nd floor bedroom being utilized as an office which does have space above it and also the adjoining room, but no access to the what could be a crawl space attic, possibly enough to get some cat 6 through and an into the middle of the house.

I thought of using mesh but too expensive to just try out. I also thought of the ac lan devices that don't work any better then x10. I guess I need to just bite the bullet and at least run a few cat6 lines for access points at either end of the house. It's just so hard running wire through two + floors.

I like Ubiquiti a lot and had good success with there older bullet system on boats. My marina is filled with there unifi systems on every dock and they work great. I guess I could try their mesh system and see what happens. The problem I have with mesh, is that most want you use their built in router and that makes no sense to me, but I get why.
                  -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                    I guess I need to just bite the bullet and at least run a few cat6 lines for access points at either end of the house. It's just so hard running wire through two + floors.
                    Is there any way you could run outdoor-rated cat cable on the outside of the house without creating an eyesore?

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Understood.

Yeah here have vaulted ceilings and a large attic. I did not like walking or crawling on the vaulted ceiling attic here way long time ago installing a chandelier lift (which was the size of a garage door opener). I build a supported floor (walkway) to install electric for the chandelier lift and added support beams from the floor of the attic to the roof pieces. Much too much as I wouldn't let anyone use the lift except for me.

Now with the Ruckus WAP I hide it in a central closet and mounted it vertically instead of the ceiling. (with WAF). You do not see it. I had too much stuff on the ceiling as I put a second set of smokes connected to the alarm panel next to the legacy smokes (way over doing it).

That and I built chases from the basement to the second floor attic while installing the zoned audio and honey dew list of redecorating rooms. Well and one access panel behind some furniture in one room. In the old old house used the space behind the furnace on the second floor (in a closet) and built an access panel in a walk in closet opposite the furnace space (which really was like a closet with a furnace in it).

For the under eave cameras ran cat5e from the attic space to the basement via the centralized house chase. Most difficult piece was fishing the cable outside from the attic area to the eave while standing on the top of a long ladder and using my cell phone to adjust the camera (real PITA). I did switch over to using cat5e baluns in the analog days of using siamese cables for the cameras. Only I had to check the cables for use with POE.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

It's been a few years ago that I helped a friend on a farm connect two homes (network). Initially we were going to utilize wireless then instead trenched / buried the wire. You really do not see it coming in to the houses as we used the telco box area to run the cabling inside. When I installed outdoor speakers on my deck I mounted them on the outside brick going through the brick to an indoor in wall speaker on one side then used same color of deck wood to hide the second speaker wiring that went under the deck to the basement.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yeah all good. I guess there is only one way to skin a cat, so to speak and that is just do it the right way and run some CAT6 and stop my whining. Really was hoping to find a good WiFi solution that actually worked, but as we all know - there really isn't one when it comes to HD video streaming. The outdoor camera's are POE and also have pig tails with RJ45's so I guess that answers that ...
                          -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                            So I recently moved into a new house (new to me), and I am trying to not run cat6 to every room and so on. Right now I have pretty good coverage and can stream 4K to all of the TV's. But for some reason my outdoor camera's push the limit and do really work correctly.

Does anyone know of extenders that work well for this application and getting cat6 to there locations would be quite the project.
                            Take a look at Netgear's Orbi. It has been working great for me in a two-story >3500 sq ft home. I liked the concept of tri-band, when I was looking to buy an extender and Orbi has this. Tri-band means a third frequency for what they call backhaul, which is the connection between the primary access point and the satellite access point.
                            "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                            "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Wifi IP cameras are notoriously bad. It is best to run cat 6 to them and run POE. You need juice anyways.
                              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                              Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                              weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
                              X