Ecowitt Listener Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecowitt Listener Application

I have created a Windows application that can capture the Weather Data sent by the Ecowitt GW1000 device running firmware 1.5.0 or later. The application can also be used by owners of the Ecowitt HP2551-C Weather station. It has been tested with the US 915mhz version as well as European 868mhz devices. The Ecowitt GW1000 not only works with Ecowitt Weather Stations but also some Ambient Weather devices. My own weather stations is the Ambient Weather WS1002-wifi array

The application receives the data sent under the Customized Weather Services option on the Ecowitt WS View application and converts the data into an MQTT message and sends to your MQTT Broker. Using one of the MQTT plugins you can Subscribe and bring this information into Homeseer or any other HomeAutomation application that supports MQTT.

The application supports the same Units of Measure as the Ecowitt WS View configuration application. You can also have the application Calculate Dew Point, Feels Like Temperature, Illuminance and Relative Barometric Pressure based on Altitude. You can also adjust the UTC time sent by the GW1000 device to the timezone of the PC that it's running on. You can run the application on the same PC as Homeseer or another PC that has access to the Network that the GW1000 and your MQTT Broker is running on.

Latest Version 1.0.1.11 (Sept. 16, 2020)
    • Fixed value of *batt devices that are reported as voltage
    • Added the option to calculate Air Quality Index (AQI) if you have a PM 2.5 Air Quality Sensor
    Manual: Version 1.0.1.11

Version 10.0.1.10
    • Supports binding to specific Network card in PC
    • Added support for Lightning Sensor
    • List of Devices received from GW1000

Great work.

Comment

Hi Jim: I have used your app on my machine. I'm working on writing a listening app for my ESP32 device, the M5StickC. I think it would be very helpful to me if I could get a look at your source code - is there any chance you could make it available on dropbox?

Comment

Originally posted by jim@beersman.com View Post
        I have created a Windows application that can capture the Weather Data sent by the Ecowitt GW1000 device running firmware 1.5.0 or later. The application can also be used by owners of the Ecowitt HP2551-C Weather station. It has been tested with the US 915mhz version as well as European 868mhz devices. The Ecowitt GW1000 not only works with Ecowitt Weather Stations but also some Ambient Weather devices. My own weather stations is the Ambient Weather WS1002-wifi array

The application receives the data sent under the Customized Weather Services option on the Ecowitt WS View application and converts the data into an MQTT message and sends to your MQTT Broker. Using one of the MQTT plugins you can Subscribe and bring this information into Homeseer or any other HomeAutomation application that supports MQTT.

The application supports the same Units of Measure as the Ecowitt WS View configuration application. You can also have the application Calculate Dew Point, Feels Like Temperature, Illuminance and Relative Barometric Pressure based on Altitude. You can also adjust the UTC time sent by the GW1000 device to the timezone of the PC that it's running on. You can run the application on the same PC as Homeseer or another PC that has access to the Network that the GW1000 and your MQTT Broker is running on.

The program can be downloaded from https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qkq5fv9j9...0_1_7.zip?dl=1
        I have downloaded your program, but I'm having some trouble setting it up.
        Seems that the program don't get any information.
        It's just blank.
        Any ideas?

Comment

Groot, just to confirm after setting the Customized Weather Services option on the EcoWitt device it's now working for you?

Comment

Groot, just to confirm after setting the Customized Weather Services option on the EcoWitt device it's now working for you?
            Yes, that is correct.
            Thank you!

Comment

I see you are from Norway, the application should work fine for you. One of the original beta tester was from Norway and I had to make changes to handle the differences in Date/Time format as well as decimal symbols. The application will use current culture setting on your PC so adjust those automatically.

Comment

I see you are from Norway, the application should work fine for you. One of the original beta tester was from Norway and I had to make changes to handle the differences in Date/Time format as well as decimal symbols. The application will use current culture setting on your PC so adjust those automatically.
                Yes, I had to use this setting for the time being correct, so that came in handy.

Comment

Help to anyone else trying to use this.

Check Error log under Help. I had another application using port 8080 and had to switch to 8090. I got the error "an attempt was made to access a scoket in a way forbidden".
                  Configure path to be blank in your ecowitt app.

Comment

So did you see this error in the Ecowitt Listener Windows app or the Ecowitt WS View app?

Also FYI, going to be posting an update in week or so of the Ecowitt Listener program. I have added the ability to bind the app to different network cards in your PC if you are segmenting off your network for security. Also, will handle the Lightning device and display the Lightning time in Human Readable format as apposed to the number of seconds since 01/01/1970. And because the Lightning device (EcoWitt WH31L, Ambient Weather WH57) display's kilometers for distance, the ability to convert that to miles for those of us in the United States.

And last but not least adding a list of the devices it has processed, so you can see if everything has been picked up.

Comment

I saw the error in your windows app.

Comment

Very much appreciated.

Comment

Keep an eye out, I'm currently testing a new version to calculate the AQI air quality value from the value produced from the Ecowitt WH41 pm25 air quality sensor. Will also work with Ambient Weather WH44B version as well.

Comment

Fantastic that you're still working on this. One minor thing: the battery values from my sensors (WH68, WH40, WH26) are being sent as integers (no decimal places), but two of them at least (WH68 and WH40) require a decimal place since they seem to be voltages. Not sure what the 0 value from WH26 means, maybe just "no problem" and may switch to a 1 at some point.
                            Last edited by warrenmr; September 16, 2020, 11:52 AM. Reason: Incorrect last reference to WH68 - changed to WH26

Comment

warrenmr, can you send me a screen shot of the top panel of the application showing the values sent by your Ecowitt device for these devices

Ecowitt is not consistent in how it reports battery status. The values below are what I found documented online
                              For the following devices 0 = Ok, 1 = Low
                              wh25
                              wh26
                              wh31
                              wh40
                              wh65
                              wh32b
                              wh32e

For the WH41/WH43/WH44B devices 0 = Low, 5 = Ok

For the Soil Moisture Sensor (WH51) the value returned 1.5V = OK, 1.0V = Low

Comment

Working...
                              X