Spiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiders

Does anyone else have issues with spiderwebs? I have two Foscams, one located on the front edge of the deck, and another on the top edge of the garage. Both seem to be magnets for spiderwebs. It's not a problem during the day, but at night the IR reflects back and looks like a white cable waving in front of the lens. I'll clean the lens, and within a day or two, they're back. I'm using Blue Iris, and if I turn the sensitivity on the motion detection down enough to prevent the spiderwebs from tripping it, it won't sense a person walking on the driveway.
    My system is described in my profile.

Do yours have lots of IR LEDs? Flying insects are drawn to the light, and think spiders are smart enough to see that as bait for their webs. Added additional IR lights once off to the side to extend cameras reach and because they were more powerful I actually had much less cobwebs on camera and plenty near lights.

Comment

Yeah, they have IR illumination built in. I figured it was the IR, but yeesh. Both of these cameras are mounted low enough that I can get to them with the same duster that I use to clean the overhead fan blades. However, if I ever get around to mounting the POE Grandstream unit, it will be be touch-and-go if I would be able to reach it from the ground. Might need to go the same route you used. What did you use for your IR?

Comment

Took weeks to arrive on slow boat from China, and can't find exact listing, but I used one that looks like this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32745916703.html

As luck would have it I'd run 2x CAT cable to an area that only needed one camera and one old PoE splitter modification later and the IR spotlight was powered.

Big storm took tree down which smashed camera off and shattered IR spotlight, but they were lower resolution cameras that I was upgrading to Reolink 4MP models. Those seem less sensitive to attract spiders, but I remember the agony in August/September when I had to clean cobwebs often to see any footage and avoid false-positive motion triggers.

Nature can be cruel

Comment

When I have had spider problems, I use this. It works quite well. Just cover the lens area and spray all around the camera. An application can last a week or more depending on whether or not rain gets to the camera. Mine are all located under eaves on the house and garage.

https://www.wilsoncontrol.com/en/pro...lson-spiderban
          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Here is a longer term solution. Apply every 2-3 months.: https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/cyzmic-cs Spray it around windows and other points of entry to keep bugs out of the house as well. That site sells professional level items. I have used them for a long time and have no affiliation otherwise.
            Karl S
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            1070 Devices
            56 Z-Wave Nodes
            104 Events
            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
            Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Plus 2 for these suggestions. .been doing the same for a year after the same "duster" challenge 😁

works pretty well

Comment

Argh! I used the duster last night around 2 AM just before I went to bed. Look at the cameras now, they're b-a-a-c-k. Jason from Friday the 13'th didn't return as reliably. I have some of the pesticide on order. Now time to look into some IR floodlights.

Comment

Working...
                X