Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Input requested on "best" way to replace a non-responding light switch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Input requested on "best" way to replace a non-responding light switch.

I've had a ZeeS2 in a vacation house for about 4 years, and it has been... problematic. Through the kindness of Krumpy I've been able to get it to be mostly stable. Sadly, I am still a noob. Much more of an operator than an integrator.

Sometimes (read:this weekend too) I have to travel there and while there I need to replace a wall light switch that has failed as it lost both manual operation as well as network operation. I had a maintenance guy replace it with a mechanical switch. So the node still shows up as a resource in my homeseer list of nodes. I've left it alone for fear of screwing up the operation of the rest of the system. I need this node, as it is the closest AC switch in the system to the hub and helps with the overall integrity of the communications.

In the description it shows up as a Cooper wiring device. I will be installing a Honeywell by Jasco dimmer tomorrow, and I'd like to know the best way to go about doing this.

Do I use the "replace node", "remove bad node" or other? Can I use "replace" with nodes from different manufacturers? This switch does have a couple of events tied to it. It would be easy enough to change the events.

I don't know if it is bad for my system to have legacy nodes that no longer exist. I'd prefer to clean up after them as they die or need to be upgraded. If you note below I have 49 "devices", but if I were to count the actual nodes in my house it would be about 8-10. I'm nervous about changes as the house is remote and my experience is low and what little I have has left me gun shy.

Note I have not performed any version updates in quite awhile. See comment above about being remote and nervous :-)

Any (well detailed) advice especially appreciated.

Thanks!

Current Date/Time: 10/19/2019 5:24:27 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.435
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V2 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 43 Days 11 Hours 6 Minutes 53 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    Number of Devices: 49
    Number of Events: 15
    Available Threads: 380
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed:

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

OK... well, I got no help so just decided to jump in, figuring that if I screwed something up I had 24 hours to work on it.

Turns out that this was very easy. I removed the bad light switch. Installed the new light switch (different manufacturer) and went to the bad node Zwave Tab in the Homeseer Web Control console. Hit the "replace Node" button, and it waited for me to start the include process.

Pretty dang easy. Hope this helps another noob.

Comment

Working...
    X