Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greenwave Multi socket PowerNode US CHEAP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received my unit today. Ordered it on the 23rd and here it is on the 25th. Two days from CA to WA with free shipping? Wow! Nice looking unit. There was absolutely no documentation included. Not a single piece of paper.

Initial testing:
    1. Manually added it using non-secure. It added nicely and created 13 devices - root, 6 Switches, and 6 Watts.
    2. In device manager, each switch can be turned ON or OFF
    3. If a switch is manually controlled, the status does not change in HS.
    4. Plugged a lamp into switch 1. Lamp is ON. No change in the Watts
    5. Went into the z-wave tab for the root device and changed polling interval from 0 to 2s.
    6. Switch status and Watts are now updating. Watts shows the current Watts with 3 decimal points of precision (ie. 51.800)
    7. When power is lost on the strip, when restored, all switches are ON. Tried to change parameter 3 but could not. For me, this is a big deal. Upon power up, all switches should return to their prior state.
    8. After turning on polling, 6 additional devices got created. A KW Hours for each switch. It is the accumulated power in kWh. It also has 3 digits of precision.
    9. A byproduct of turning on polling to 2s is that I get an entry for kWh and Watts each polling cycle. Not good. Went into each kWh and Watts device and turned off command logging.
    10. Changed parm 0 (change % for reporting energy) but appeared to be no change.

I'm unclear as to how the wheel works and the color thing. If someone else has figured it out, please post.

That power on state of all being ON is really bothering me. Hopefully someone else might figure it out.
    My preference is to not poll devices. Hopefully can figure out a way to not do that but keep status in sync.

It certainly is a nice switch for the money. I have the Zooz Zen20 and love it. This one is pretty comparable. Both capture and report energy usage about the same. The Zooz has 5 outlets and 2 USB outlets. This one has 6 outlets and no USB. However, Zooz Zen20 costs $79.95 on Amazon and this one is $19.99. If we can resolve the power on status, I'll be buying more.

Comment

BTW, note to everyone. This outlet strip has a max of 15A. That is across ALL outlets. Be careful not to exceed that. There is supposed to be overload protection but at this point I'm not trusting that.

Comment

Two days for me also, and I'm in Virginia. Ordered two at noon on Thursday, and found the box on the doorstep this afternoon. Now to figure out what to do with the new toys.
        My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Hmm. I can't seem to get Alexa to discover these switches. I seemed to recall there was some other device Alexa could not find because of a default parameter setting in HS. Been searching the forum for about an hour and cannot find that thread. Maybe I am dreaming... Anyone else having issues with Alexa discovery of the GreenWave?

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
            Hmm. I can't seem to get Alexa to discover these switches.
            As long as you don't hear "I'm sorry Rob, I can't do that. Why don't you ask Siri?"

Comment

Originally posted by JLehnert View Post
              As long as you don't hear "I'm sorry Rob, I can't do that. Why don't you ask Siri?"
              Alexa knows better than to ask me that.....

Comment

I gave up on all greenwave plugs as the devices did power reporting OR switching, they wouldn't do both. That blinking was irritating too.

Also, heaven help you if someone accidentally nudges the stupid wheel onto a different value, it'll stop working completely.

I'm afraid there's a reason why they're going cheap - no-one buys them due to their problems, and you can't configure them. Don't think the manufacturer has updated their firmware since releasing them like 3+ years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious View Post
                  I gave up on all greenwave plugs as the devices did power reporting OR switching, they wouldn't do both. That blinking was irritating too.

Also, heaven help you if someone accidentally nudges the stupid wheel onto a different value, it'll stop working completely.

I'm afraid there's a reason why they're going cheap - no-one buys them due to their problems, and you can't configure them. Don't think the manufacturer has updated their firmware since releasing them like 3+ years ago.
                  This strip most definitely reports energy and switches at the same time. The light on mine doesn't blink but rather says solid. That is while the wheel is on the black position. I don't see any normal use for the light so I would be inclined to black tape it.

The thing that bothers me, and likely will prevent me from ordering more, is the power on state being all ON. For me, I need each outlet to return to the prior state.

As anyone figured out how to change this with firmware ver 4.21?

Even with the power on state issue, for a strip with 6 switched outlets @ $20, it is a great deal if you can live with a few quirks.

Comment

Seeing as logbuilder referenced v4.28 firmware documents and we've all got shipped v4.21 powerstrips I send out contact requests to American, European and Asian offices of Greenwave to see if I can get a hold of updated firmware. Company still exists, so somewhere there has to be a file.

The problem will be applying the firmware as the strips don't have a USB port, and are not 500-series compatible to do it OTA. The eight security screws are too deeply sunken for me to get to them with my security bits, but I have a long screwdriver kit that should work at my old location if I dig more through boxes.

Probably will take a few days before they respond anyway, and might not even get any firmware update, but worth a try.

Without them they will still be useful, as I can replicate the "return back to ON after power failure" via HomeSeer and do not require the switch to do this autonomous for my usage.

Comment

Different responses from mine. No problem with inclusion, and it automatically created all 20 devices (wheel set on black). Tried polling on the root, switch, kW hour, and Watts, but no energy readings.

Comment

Originally posted by JLehnert View Post
                        Different responses from mine. No problem with inclusion, and it automatically created all 20 devices (wheel set on black). Tried polling on the root, switch, kW hour, and Watts, but no energy readings.
                        I think I only got the watts and kw on a switch after I gave it a load for a while. Might try that.

Comment

I recycled the Z-Wave interface and that did the trick. Readings started showing up immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post

The thing that bothers me, and likely will prevent me from ordering more, is the power on state being all ON. For me, I need each outlet to return to the prior state.
                            Just don't get the single socket ones, as the instructions I got with those literally stated "you can monitor power or switch" - I sent them back due to this. The Strip never seemed to work for me to do both, so probably an older firmware or HS zwave plugin issue, this was a few years back.

Comment

I ordered two of them and received them today. I have Watts and KWH 1 tru 6. I wish there was one that showed KWH for a total of all 6 together. I also have a on/off for each one. I want all 6 to stay on all the time so I set the color wheel to white. I set polling to 2 seconds. I plugged in my lamp and with HS3 I turned the plug off. HS3 turned the icon to off for about a second then back to on but the lamp never actually turned off. I plugged my lamp in each one and all 6 showed 10.4 watts. I tested my lamp with my Kill a Watt meter and it showed 10.2 watts. I did a hair dryer on the Kill A Watt meter, was 855 watts and the powersrtrip 862 watts. Looks like the powerstrip is showing just a tad bit more than my Kill a Watt meter. Not much though in my opinion. I guess that's close enough for $20.

Jim

Comment

Is there a calibration procedure for these? The Wifi plugs that do energy monitoring that I reflash with Tasmota can be calibrated and usually makes a difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X