RGB light bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RGB light bulbs

Ok last time I was in the forums, daily, there were a few people playing around with RGB bulbs and many were different brands, technology, etc...

so my question...
    if you have only zwave (and x10)....
    what is a good choice to go with today?

use case...

outside between 2 garage doors
    outside above front door

Each holiday, I replace the light bulbs with a color bulb and its time I just spend the $ and get this setup and never have to change the bulb again (pending failure)....

thx for your thoughts... and input.
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Don't leave out the possibility of WiFi RGB bulbs. I have a few that are working well for me. I don't know if there is a plug-in to support them, but they are working fine for me using some scripts and some Python code.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
      Don't leave out the possibility of WiFi RGB bulbs. I have a few that are working well for me. I don't know if there is a plug-in to support them, but they are working fine for me using some scripts and some Python code.
      what models? can they be tied into google home?

what happens if you have a zwave light switch that goes on at sunset and off at sun rise and you use a wifi bulb? If I have to use an app or remote to change color and set it and forget till holiday is over to go white.. I'm good with that too...

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

This is one of them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        It's unavailable now, but there are probably some others that are really the same that are still made and sold.
        These are best when they are always powered (no switch), but I do have one on a manual switch. I poll for the bulb being powered by pinging it's IP address. It responds a couple of seconds after being switched on. I can then change the color based on time of day or other factors.
        I think that it is supposed to be Google compatible. There is also a phone app that can control it.

Comment

i see many 4 pack of bulbs for $40.. so in my price range... now the brand to get? ill wait for others to chime in...

getting there... thx..

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=WiFi+Smar...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Comment

I have been very happy with my LIFX bulbs. They are way more expensive than the other ones mentioned, but they work well with the UltraLighting3 plugin. I never got my Hue's to work worth a crap.

You need to have decent Wifi coverage for them. I had to add another AP to my setup for the garage lights to work. But they're nearly bulletproof.

Comment

There are many in the $10/bulb range that are WiFi and fall under the "Smart Life" control type that can be controlled by HS. I have a few and use Alexa to control them. They work pretty well. Most do not need the smart hub to use anymore. The Echo Plus now comes with built in control of the smart life devices. HS has a few plug in's that also work. I am in the process now of finding the one that works best. That's next weeks project though.
              -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                There are many in the $10/bulb range that are WiFi and fall under the "Smart Life" control type that can be controlled by HS....
                How is this control done? Is there a plug in?

"Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

How is this control done? Is there a plug in?
                  this is what I'm interested in too.. I know I can add them and have google home control them, but would like them in HS as well...

Comment

smart life devices can be added using CPS TUYA plug in. works great. several threads on this plug in

Comment

Originally posted by GaryDN View Post
                      smart life devices can be added using CPS TUYA plug in. works great. several threads on this plug in
                      i didn't see this in time.. I bought Teckin... do you know what plugin would work with them?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

i didn't see this in time.. I bought Teckin... do you know what plugin would work with them?

In the Q&A section, there are a couple of questions asking if the bulbs work with the "smart life app." The responses were "yes." I assume that this means the bulbs should work with the plug-in that was mentioned as working with the smart life bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

The amazon listing says they're controllable by smart life app so cps tuya should work.
                          -Wade

Comment

I know this is too late, but others considering RGB bulbs should consider the lumens of the bulbs. It is one thing to have a light easily changed to color, but if you are replacing a 100W white bulb with a 25W bulb, you will be disappointed. Since I was a kid, I had a box of color bulbs I would swap out in my lamp and overhead in my room. 30 years later, RGB Bulbs were invented. I wanted them. Tried all that were available. The brightest bulb by far was the LIFX bulbs. The BR-30's and A19's are 1100 lumens. They are great for porch lights. We run them at about 40-60% and then brighten to 100% when there is motion outside the door. 100% all the time is too bright. Something to consider.

Comment

the ones i bought are 800L and agree.. bit low on color but i can deal with them. white is BRIGHT

pics r tough as not true to llife...

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X