Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need guidance on Lighting Trigger

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Need guidance on Lighting Trigger

    This seems simple but in reality it is being a problem.
    I have created an event that will trigger when a light changes state from off to a value of 1%-100%, then will start a timer.
    The other event will turn the light off when the timer reaches a timed value.
    This works correctly when the dimmer switch is turned on, (the timer starts), or off, (the timer stops), with a tap, but if the switch is ramped up (held on) from off, (0%) to any other value (1-100%), the timer will not start.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.PNG Views:	65 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	1335005
    Anyone know why this is?

    Thanks for the help.

    #2
    I used to use a similar strategy with timers being started and then turn off lights when the timer gets to a certain time. After nuanced problems using timers, I have since changed my strategy to testing the device for how long it has been ON and then turning it OFF.

    Here is an example:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	event_example_1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	1335014

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Jamr View Post
      This seems simple but in reality it is being a problem.
      I have created an event that will trigger when a light changes state from off to a value of 1%-100%, then will start a timer.
      The other event will turn the light off when the timer reaches a timed value.
      This works correctly when the dimmer switch is turned on, (the timer starts), or off, (the timer stops), with a tap, but if the switch is ramped up (held on) from off, (0%) to any other value (1-100%), the timer will not start.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	225
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1335005
      Anyone know why this is?
      How do I get it to work as intended?
      Thanks for the help.
      Logbuilders strategy is probably the safest and most reliable, if it works for you.
      I believe the problem you are experiencing is because the switches do not report their status to HomeSeer until THE RAMPING is complete.

      Comment


        #4
        Personally, I use either delayed actions or events vs timers. The "office light off" is optional as it would just turn the light off even if it was already off.

        Regarding "office light timer", every time the lamp changes from 1-100, the 1 hour delayed device action would be reset to 1 hour.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	204
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1335108
        Len


        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
        Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
        Number of Devices: 633
        Number of Events: 773

        Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.54.0: BLBackup
        2.0.40.0: BLLAN
        3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
        30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
        3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
        3.0.0.87: weatherXML
        3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

        Comment


          #5
          An easier solution would be to use the "Easy Trigger" plugin which has a trigger
          "If This device's value has been in the range [X.Y] for exactly .." where you could set a range 1-99 and the timer value all in the trigger. That way, you wouldn't need to worry about additional timer setup etc.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by BobSpen View Post

            Logbuilders strategy is probably the safest and most reliable, if it works for you.
            I believe the problem you are experiencing is because the switches do not report their status to HomeSeer until THE RAMPING is complete.
            If the switch does not report its status until it is done, it still fits the 1-100% criteria after it is ramped from 0-99%. I am still not understanding this.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by jvm View Post
              An easier solution would be to use the "Easy Trigger" plugin which has a trigger
              "If This device's value has been in the range [X.Y] for exactly .." where you could set a range 1-99 and the timer value all in the trigger. That way, you wouldn't need to worry about additional timer setup etc.
              I will try this later but unfortunately I am at my limit of 4 other plug ins with my system. Until I find suitable hardware to install a fresh system on I am stuck here.

              Comment


                #8
                Using a trigger of "was set and has a value that is not equal to off' works for me. Make sure the switch is reporting the change as well.

                I didn't set any delay for my test event:

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-25 at 1.13.07 AM.png
Views:	177
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1335316
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                1070 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                104 Events
                HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

                Comment


                  #9
                  I appreciate everyone's recommendations here. It has opened my eyes to the varying ways to do this although many do not work for me.
                  I have tried many of these only to see them not work because I am using a motion as a trigger also. I don't know, maybe it is my Dragon Tech switches.
                  I would really would like to know the answer to original question.
                  If anyone please has an answer or is experiencing similar problems, please document your experience here.
                  Lets leave this thread as Why does this logic not work?

                  I will do some searching to see if there are similar threads with occupancy and triggering. If not, I will start a new one on the best way to do occupancy in rooms with motion sensors.
                  Thanks.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The second event in the screen shot of the original post is only triggering on the device's value changing. This then runs the first event so it is the important one. I tested my event holding a z-wave switch to turn it on as well as just tapping it on. I tried it on 2 different dimming switches which reported their changed value and one that was not reporting a changed value. The only one it did not work on was the last. I expected that as HomeSeer had no idea the switch changed.

                    I don't see any motion trigger on your event. Maybe a motion trigger turns on your office light? If so, that should not be a factor.

                    Can you confirm that holding the switch to ramp the brightness up results in HomeSeer seeing a change in the switch? Meaning the browser showed a change of status without first polling the device.
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events
                    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X