Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Echolink Door Sensor Terminal Screws as Open Circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Echolink Door Sensor Terminal Screws as Open Circuit?

I bought some Echolink door sensors (DWZWAVE2.5-ECO) to use with LED strip in closet that turns strip on and off with door operation.

Is it possible to wire LED 1 amp 12v power through the Echolink sensor via terminal screws so the light is switched on/off locally in addition to reporting status to Homeseer?

The advantage to local control for me is that sometimes it can take up to a minute for light to activate through a door open event in Homeseer and the mi light LED wireless control I am using can be hit or miss so I am hoping local control will be quicker more reliable.

I'm not sure if terminals inside Echolink function as open circuit or if it just gives a pulse type of signal based on what I read.

Based on what I have read about the device, the terminals are for an external input using something like this. It just looks for continuity as far as I can tell. Doesn't switch.

Comment

I have sensors on all the doors and windows. The doors all have events that trigger when they are opened. For example, there is a door to a porch and there is a light outside. There is an event that triggers if after sunset that will turn on that light when the door is opened. The door sensor is an ecolink z-wave sensor. The light is on an insteon switch. It is very noticeable and annoying when there is a delay on turning on the light. Normally it is almost instant at maybe 500ms. 98% of the time it is that way. I like it. Sometimes it does have delays. It occurs when there are heavy loads on the power lines by devices that are noisy (ie. EV charger) and thus creating insteon comm problems. Then it can sometimes take 2-3 secs to turn on the light. But that scenario would not apply to you since I doubt you have insteon or other PLC devices. HS3 is running on a AMD A4-6300 Win10 Home machine concurrent with BlueIris running 4 cams with motion and continuous recording. This config works well in that there is enough power to make things work reasonably well, it is consistent, and it is stable. It normally runs around 60% cpu. It only gets rebooted when I do a windows update (I control when) so it might run for 100 or more days between reboots.

If you are having way long delays, it might be worth trying to understand why.

Comment

The EcoLinks terminals are INPUT only.

What you're after is a dry-contact from a relay such as the ones Qubino, FortrezZ, Remotec, and others provide. There are models that support input and outputs and can work manually if controller is unavailable for quick local response.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
          I only have two motion activated lights right now and have been trying to figure out why my bathroom light takes way too long sometimes (up to a minute) while it can be a few seconds other times.

I do not want to have the same problem with closet lights if I can avoid it so that's why I am researching a local switch option. I am not planning to trigger anything in Homeseer or need to control the lighting other than by door open/close so it is optional for connection to Homeseer.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
            I only have two motion activated lights right now and have been trying to figure out why my bathroom light takes way too long sometimes (up to a minute) while it can be a few seconds other times.
            Everything for me is motion sensor triggered, and if lights don't turn on before I take next step then I freak out.

Happened a few days ago on most-active sensor in bedroom, and panicked thinking HomeSeer finally had enough; turned to laughter when I realized cat had knocked Fibaro eyeball sensor off the dresser. Caught by my own laziness as I still need to mount sensor on ceiling

Try enabling advanced logging option to get more device communication logged to see if your devices struggle to communicate. Force a few optimize routes and a final full optimize to remap mesh network routes with neighbors.

What is the reset time on your bathroom sensors? As in the time they'll send another motion alert after one has triggered already. You might also have conflicts in events that look for no-motion timed delays to counter motion.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post

What is the reset time on your bathroom sensors? As in the time they'll send another motion alert after one has triggered already. You might also have conflicts in events that look for no-motion timed delays to counter motion.
              I am using the Homeseer eyeball looking motion sensor at default setting which I believe is 10 minutes.

I checked for event conflicts and the HS log but nothing jumped out as to why. I was using a plug-in light with a Z-wave dimmer module at first and it almost never failed to come on within seconds. I bought an in-wall switch to control a single light and it worked fine for months then started having trouble. I replaced the switch, my z-wave USB dongle (Homeseer brand), I did optimize two times and then full with return path. Still no love. I replaced the battery yesterday on motion detector. Still no love...

I want closet lights that work 99% of the time with only occasional failure. Perhaps I expect too much lol 🤔

Comment

Based on what I have read about the device, the terminals are for an external input using something like this. It just looks for continuity as far as I can tell. Doesn't switch.

So if I use a normally open? Reed type switch in the 12v power circuit of LED then can I attach the Echolink to report status to Homeseer? How do I wire the Echolink into a circuit with the 12v Reed switch?
                Last edited by Planetview; October 26, 2019, 08:52 PM. Reason: Mistake and clarity

Comment

Sometimes it does have delays. It occurs when there are heavy loads on the power lines by devices that are noisy (ie. EV charger) and thus creating insteon comm problems. Then it can sometimes take 2-3 secs to turn on the light. But that scenario would not apply to you since I doubt you have insteon or other PLC devices.

I do not have insteon or other PLC devices. My lighting, plugs, switches are all Z-wave network based. My computer running HS3 is not really powerful but I don't do video or anything that puts a heavy load on it as far as I know.

I'm going back to the old up-light with plug-in module that worked before as my next troubleshooting step to see if it is in the overhead light or wall switch.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
                    The EcoLinks terminals are INPUT only.

What you're after is a dry-contact from a relay such as the ones Qubino, FortrezZ, Remotec, and others provide. There are models that support input and outputs and can work manually if controller is unavailable for quick local response.
                    I will look into these, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X