Check if LED is on or blinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check if LED is on or blinking

I have the need to automate if an LED is on or blinking. The generator at my office has a status light, which is just a single standard red LED. If all is OK it is steady on. It starts up once a week automatically to check functionality. If there are any issues it will blink the light as an error status code. Rather than walking by and noticing, I'd like to hook this up to an alert. Years ago I had an Ocelot that had a light senors that I put on top of the power LED's of some equipment to tell if they were on or not. Worked well. I'd like to do something like that, but can't seem to find a more modern version of a sensor like that I can integrate into HS. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I use one of these to detect LED on/off or color changing https://shop.homeseer.com/products/z...erature-sensor

Comment

A door sensor might also work if you use a photodiode or phototransistor instead of the reed relay or whtever is used to detect the door status.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadgetman! View Post
        A door sensor might also work if you use a photodiode or phototransistor instead of the reed relay or whtever is used to detect the door status.
        That would be my approach too - modify something like the Aeotec Window/Door Sensor to have a photodiode instead of the reed, and then configure up an event that reacts to multiple status changes in a short period of time.

Comment

If you were trying to pickup on a blinking indicator using the device in post #2 above, reaction time might be slow to pickup on the light.
          I'd modify a door window sensor with a photo resistor, especially if you were trying to count blinks,
          Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
          | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
          Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
          BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

I don’t have a specific solution, but I have dabbled with ESP32 cams for video recognition and it may be a flexible way to deal with various forms of status indicators. I know my generator uses yellow for maintenance and red for fault. With the 12vdc battery on the generator and the WiFi of the ESP32 it should be an easy install. These ESP cams sell for under $10.

Comment

Originally posted by girardinus View Post
              I use one of these to detect LED on/off or color changing https://shop.homeseer.com/products/z...erature-sensor
              I use two of these to detect a couple of appliances and they work well.
              πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Thanks for the reply all. girardinus, that is what I was looking for! I thought I had seen a modern version of it, but could not remember where. Now to see if it can pick up on the blinking. I wish the normal status was off, but the normal status is solid on. I'll see if I can pick the sensitivity of sort off cycles..... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by girardinus View Post
                  Is there a UK/EU version of this?

Comment

Working...
                  X