Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which alarm panel integrates best with HS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which alarm panel integrates best with HS?

I'm building a new home and the alarm panel installed by the builder is the Vista 15p. I was considering replacing the alarm system with a latest generation Qolsys but it doesn't appear to a plugin to interface with Qolsys. I like the clean look of the touch screen keypad versus the standard keypad. Honeywell's touch screen looks extremely dated.

Which mainstream alarm panel integrates best with HS? Is there a modern touchscreen that is compatible with the system?

The Elk M1G has been the workhorse alarm panel for home automation enthusiasts for years now. My personal experience in homes prior to current one is that it integrates with both Homeseer (I used the UltraM1G plugin) and the UNIVERSAL devices ISY-994 (another popular HA controller) very well. It does not, however, have a lot of more modern “aesthetic” improvements, so if that’s important you’ll need to consider that in your evaluations.

Our current house has a Napco Gemini installed by the precious owner and while a plugin is available the developer has many warnings about the current system playing well with recent hardware so I have not yet tried it. Hope that helps a bit.
    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

The DSC PC18xx line probably integrates the best with a few different integration options and three plugin options. They have a touch screen available: https://www.dsc.com/alarm-security-p...Interface/1393, but you could always hide the security system keypad and use HS Touch to create a custom screen for it.
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

ELK with the UltraM1G plug-in works well for me.

Although it's been around for many years - they sell a very modern touch screen keypad (I don't own it).
        Click image for larger version

Name:	m1kpnav-blk-slv.jpg
Views:	1379
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1337760

Comment

The most affordable and easy to integrate would be the DSC. The ElK works equally as well but is on the more expensive side.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I went with the ELK, mainly because of all the built in home automation features and event programming. The ELK lighting, relays, inputs and events still work in case HS crashes or if I (or Windows) really mess up my HS files - yes it has happened more times than I care to remember. I have the ELK touchscreens that Monk posted, but they are small - very unobtrusive, but you have to have good eyesight and no sausage fingers. I primarily use HSTouch as my interface, so the ELK touchscreens are only used for disarming and as a backup control interface.
            Mark

Comment

Followup to my original post. My ultimate objective is to be able to fire off a HS event via Alexa. The event will arm the alarm system, adjust the thermostat for the night, turn off lights, lock the doors. I'm assuming that any alarm system that integrates with HS will be able to be armed via Alexa using a HS event?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                The most affordable and easy to integrate would be the DSC. The ElK works equally as well but is on the more expensive side.
                I'm building a new home and will outfit the entire house with home automation. If I can save a few bucks by getting a less expensive, but equal system, I'm all for it. Will look at both options.

Comment

Here's my "Goodnight" Event that uses the Envisalink plugin for our DSC PC-1864 alarm to turn off all lights and monitors and arm the alarm system. The event can be triggered by an Alexa routine by saying "Alexa, Goodnight" which requires the "Homeseer SmartHome" skill.

Comment

Originally posted by taylormia View Post
                    Here's my "Goodnight" Event that uses the Envisalink plugin for our DSC PC-1864 alarm to turn off all lights and monitors and arm the alarm system. The event can be triggered by an Alexa routine by saying "Alexa, Goodnight" which requires the "Homeseer SmartHome" skill.

PERFECT. Thank you for the detailed example. ! I'm looking to do exactly what you are currently doing.

Comment

For the money you can't go wrong with a DSC Powerseries (18xx) - the hardware is solid and dependable - systems I've installed 20 years ago are still in use today (batteries are the only maintenance item). Pricepoint is probably the most affordable in the industry. Very expandable, and can be used with a cellular communicator. Personally my methodology is such that an automation system should be able to piggyback on a standalone alarm system (as a failsafe, as every automation system can and will encounter system interruptions of some sort). If your alarm is monitored, you also may be elegible for a discount on your home insurance depending on your provider. I use the Envisalink as an interface and have had zero issues.

Comment

PERFECT. Thank you for the detailed example. ! I'm looking to do exactly what you are currently doing.
                        Glad to be of help. As the previous poster says, you can't go wrong with the DSC Power series. For me, it's been rock solid for the last several years. Here are a couple other events that announce the alarm system's status on my Sonos speakers when "Goodnight" is turned on. Requires the free Sonos plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by taylormia View Post

Glad to be of help. As the previous poster says, you can't go wrong with the DSC Power series. For me, it's been rock solid for the last several years. Here are a couple other events that announce the alarm system's status on my Sonos speakers when "Goodnight" is turned on. Requires the free Sonos plugin.

thanks again. I've saved the example for my install.

Comment

Originally posted by mgonzales100 View Post
                            Followup to my original post. My ultimate objective is to be able to fire off a HS event via Alexa. The event will arm the alarm system, adjust the thermostat for the night, turn off lights, lock the doors. I'm assuming that any alarm system that integrates with HS will be able to be armed via Alexa using a HS event?
                            I do this easily with ELK and the plugin
                            tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              Indeed - Elk is more expensive - it does more.

Comment

Working...
                              X