Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which alarm panel integrates best with HS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks prsmith777 thats really helpful.

This is a retro, I have a large 3 story home, all finished. My detached shop is also finished, and no way to run wires to it without busting up concrete pads etc.

My hope was to install the panel up on the top floor in a utility room, and basically have nothing hardwired to it. I'd need a keypad on the second floor, and really need it to be wireless, as I don't have a way to fish wires without tearing into drywall. I wouldn't do any wired sensors either, they would all have to be wireless. Do those requirements kind of kill Elk as an option for me?

I confirmed that Cocoontech is down. They are also not listed on Elks authorized reseller page: https://www.elkproducts.com/retail-distributors/ so I wonder if they would honor your warranty etc.

Anyway, this gives me a good start on what to look at. Thanks!

Comment

I also have a three story finished home with detached shop.

I don't think Elk has any wireless keypads. In fact, I am not aware of any alarm system with all wireless keypad system. You will probably also need to have your wireless receivers wired as well. You can research more, but I am betting you will need to pull some wires.

I am in the process of upgrading my alarm system as well as adding IP cams and adding power to Hunter Douglas shades which are battery powered. I am also adding power to some of my Aeotec Multisensors that take batteries. I am biting the bullet and hiring someone to do all the wire pulling. I havent had anyone come look yet but they will have my permission to tear into the drywall as needed. It is going to be a huge undertaking, but it will be worth it in the long run. Our drywall is skip trowelled texture, so easily repaired. I can do that and I can paint. So I am hoping it won't be too bad.

My detached shop is about 150 ft from the main residence. I researched options, and ultimately decided to go with Ubiquiti point to point wireless connection for network connection. I have a couple of switches in the attic which are connected to the home network which feed IP cams as well as Z-Net and Unifi AP. You can't put alarm sensors on this network, though. Fortunately most alarm receivers and transmitters can span 300+ ft unobstructed. I put an Elk wireless receiver in the attic near the shop and it seems to be fine.

Cocoontech is mostly a forum with lots of Elk knowledge among other things. Its sad they are down now especially when I need them most. Google cache seems to cover the majority of their posts but not all.

Comment

prsmith777 I'm using ubiquiti stuff as well. I went with a building to building bridge for my shop, it has been rock solid with zero issues. I've got quite a few IP cameras running off the shop network, and bandwidth has not been an issue.

Maybe I can just put the keypad and wireless module by the panel, and not have one on the main floor? I can just arm and disarm the system with homeseer I assume? I'm wondering if the wireless rx/tx will reach my whole house from the top floor.

I just paid a company to run speaker wire for me in a home theater. They had to put a crazy amount of holes in the wall to do it. Paint didn't quite match when I went to paint the repair work, so I ended up having to paint the entire room/ceiling over again. I definitely don't want to mess with more drywall crap right now. I'll have to think about it some more and see what my options are.

Thanks!

Comment

I'd need a keypad on the second floor, and really need it to be wireless, as I don't have a way to fish wires without tearing into drywall.

As mentioned above Elk does not offer any wireless consoles. That said the console is a serial connection that uses 12VDC. You might be able to use wireless serial transceivers for the console.

I ran cabling in the last home which involved cutting drywall et al. The OmniPro 2 alarm panel sat in the basement of the two story home. I wired from the basement up to the main floor and from the attic down to the second floor after building a chase from the basement to the attic.

Way WAF worked was requests to redecorate. IE: paint, windows dressing, carpeting et al per room. While doing this I did the low voltage wiring in every room. (network, alarm, distributed audio).

Did the wiring again for next house. Using one wireless DB camera and it is OK but not at all the same as the wired POE cameras.

I did not do wiring for 2nd house. Rather used a Ring Alarm system with all wireless everything and a Ring to MQTT application.

I did POE wire the Ring Hub. 2nd house is now using all WiFi modded to Tasmota in wall switches (MQTT).

For the above the alarm wasn't really needed. I used the sensors wired or wireless for automation more than the alarm stuff.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I've found that having a good tape/texture guy in my Rolodex has saved me a lot of headaches over the years. I usually plan wiring around when my wife says she's thinking about re-decorating a room or rooms.
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Yeah here didn't work fast enough...redecorating...

Redid the TV room years ago. Subcontracted to remove the fireplace and redo it all with a stone face et call. While doing the TV room ran new electrical circuits to separate media and TV from lighting and outlets. Painted the entire room as she did not like the colors originally picked. I also went to wiring up for 7.1 surround sound and put two speakers in the ceiling, occupancy sensor et al. Fishing wires did have to cut some in to the drywall. I had a 2 foot mini attic in the ceiling of the TV room though. New carpeting and new windows dressings...took about a month to finish and it was mostly relating to the rebuild of the fireplace. Moved wife to the master bedroom (which was the same size as the TV room) to watch TV. Had a couch in the master bedroom so it worked fine.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hey Pete,

Have you heard what's going on at Cocoontech? Been down for a while now. Worried they might have been hit with ransomware or something else bad.

Comment

Originally posted by smikkelsen View Post
                  Thanks prsmith777 thats really helpful.

My hope was to install the panel up on the top floor in a utility room, and basically have nothing hardwired to it. I'd need a keypad on the second floor, and really need it to be wireless, as I don't have a way to fish wires without tearing into drywall. I wouldn't do any wired sensors either, they would all have to be wireless. Do those requirements kind of kill Elk as an option for me?
                  With the Elk and Homeseer, you could do a wireless install as you've described by using all wireless sensors with the Elk, the M1G HS plugin, and an android or PC tablet configured with HSTouch to control the security system. Another option would be to use the Elk products directly on a wireless tablet. Remote Control Options for M1 - ELK Products

Remote Control Options for M1 Software, Apps, and Services M1 systems offer secure connectivity from … Remote Control Options for M1 Read More »

Comment

I have not heard anything relating what is going on over at Cocoontech.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have read the previous posts in this thread looking for a home security system that will work with a HS3 plugin. It appears that the discussions are about 3-4 years old.

I just upgraded from HS3 to HS4 a few weeks ago and about the same time, my HAI security and lighting system cratered and no parts are available.

I have read that DSC PC-18xx works with a Envisalink plugin and an Elk M1 works with the UltraMiG plugin.

Can anyone comment on either one or both of these security systems and their compatibility as to using them with HS4?

Comment

I and many others use the DSC PC-18xx panels with either the IT-100 (RS232, works with the HS supplied plugin) or the Envisalink interface (Ethernet, need 3rd party plugin). It works fine with both HS3 and HS4. The only thing I REALLY miss is that the Envisalink plugin only allows to toggle the bypass state. It does not allow to enable or disable it. spud mentioned that he would add this functionality but that was quite a while ago and that functionality is not yet available.

I also read about the Elk quite a bit on this forum but the DSC seems more popular. It's an old system but very reliable, doesn't require any monthly fees, etc.

Comment

Dsc has now discontinued the powerseries system. You can still find some parts but some are no longer available.

My supplier was trying to bring in as much as they could but they said people were stocking up on it as well so it was selling quick. So you may be limited in what you can find for it.

Comment

Originally posted by cd36 View Post
                            Dsc has now discontinued the powerseries system. You can still find some parts but some are no longer available.

My supplier was trying to bring in as much as they could but they said people were stocking up on it as well so it was selling quick. So you may be limited in what you can find for it.
                            Indeed. Thanks for mentioning that. I looked into it. See post Special here: Connecting HS4 to a Security panel - HomeSeer Message Board

Comment

Working...
                            X